• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was atheism invented?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No it wasn't
I said that religion was invented by some humans, it took hold and THEN parents taught their kids from that point onwards.

So are you suggesting otherwise?
I have a hypothesis that they are atheists when born; like they are apolitical and have no language or numerical skills. They are taught all these things including religion.

Oh no. This is your claim. Children are taught by parents. Now you claim something else.

Okay, you in effect cheat and change your claim.
So how was religion invented and I want evidence. Not your subjective personal beliefs dressed up as your subjective hypothesis. That is not evidence.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Knowledge is a cumulative thing. It doesn't have to be correct. 'Trump won the election by a landslide' is knowledge and can be passed on.
Before religion parents taught children hunter gatherer skills, how to build shelter.

And how taught the parents and their parents and so on that. Their fish ancestors?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Oh no. This is your claim. Children are taught by parents. Now you claim something else.

Okay, you in effect cheat and change your claim.
So how was religion invented and I want evidence. Not your subjective personal beliefs dressed up as your subjective hypothesis. That is not evidence.
NO!!!
I have always said that children are taught by parents (and priests and teachers)
I have not cheated at all, it is you who are twisting what I say.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
NO!!!
I have always said that children are taught by parents (and priests and teachers)

You really don't understand or listen to what I say.
Take a break, go back and follow my comments in this thread,

So back trough time parents (and priests and teachers), who were children, who were taught by parent, who were children and so on. You run into the problem that there where no first human parents, because over time their great-great.. grand parents, weren't humans. They are fish 400 million years ago who didn't have knowledge. The problem is the same for the fish. Their great-great... grand parents were single cell life, who today have no knowledge and doesn't teach their "off-spring" anything.

So come on, Altfish, explain teaching, inventing and knowledge in evolutionary terms all the way back to the first single cell life.
So who were the first single cell priests, teachers and inventors?

tarasan

If God was invented by priests, then godlessness was invented by atheists? How is it better then?

An atheist Bob might reply: "By analogy, smokers have invented smoking; and who then has invented non-smoking? Non-smokers, maybe?"

Me in reply: "Non-smoking as well as a sober lifestyle was invented by the Ministry of Health."

Bob: "Atheism is based on the achievements of science and its evidence, and religion is based only on legends and blind faith."

Me: "Atheism is unscientific because the Supposed Death of God is not scientifically proven. Faith in Wikipedia is defined (with peer-reviewed references) as loyalty, faithfulness to Omniscience. After all, God knows everything.

Athiesm originally was answer to the philosophical question "does god exist". It existed alongside thiesm and agnosticism in addressing the above question. So yes I suppose it was "invented" in that sense. Typically though I think alot of the guys here adopt the more recently lack of belief in God written by Antony flew in 1972 in his book presumption of atheism. So I suppose he "invented" that definition as well

Altfish

Veteran Member
So back trough time parents (and priests and teachers), who were children, who were taught by parent, who were children and so on. You run into the problem that there where no first human parents, because over time their great-great.. grand parents, weren't humans. They are fish 400 million years ago who didn't have knowledge. The problem is the same for the fish. Their great-great... grand parents were single cell life, who today have no knowledge and doesn't teach their "off-spring" anything.

So come on, Altfish, explain teaching, inventing and knowledge in evolutionary terms all the way back to the first single cell life.
So who were the first single cell priests, teachers and inventors?
Teaching changes through time - understand so far?
In 1900 children didn't have iT lessons - agree?
In 1500 children were not taught about Australia (unless they were Aboriginal)#
Humans learn; every day our knowledge increases.
As I keep saying and you keep ignoring knowledge is accumulated. As is often said, "We are standing on the shoulders of giants"

questfortruth

Athiesm originally was answer to the philosophical question "does god exist". It existed alongside thiesm and agnosticism in addressing the above question.
And how taught the parents and their parents and so on that. Their fish ancestors?

NO!!!

People, is this impressive or not:

If there is Christian God, then He is certainly the Creator. In case of any doubt, Jesus Christ tells me to follow the heart: When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.” John 10:4-5.

Discussion: God-induced Evolution, no God-less scenario in sight - Academia.edu

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Teaching changes through time - understand so far?
In 1900 children didn't have iT lessons - agree?
In 1500 children were not taught about Australia (unless they were Aboriginal)#
Humans learn; every day our knowledge increases.
As I keep saying and you keep ignoring knowledge is accumulated. As is often said, "We are standing on the shoulders of giants"

You haven't explained how knowledge works in evolutionary terms, because how do we go from biological ancestors without knowledge to humans today with knowledge. That is your problem.
As absurd as it is, your claim reduces down to that with the first single cell life was knowledge and it has accumulated ever since.
So you need to explain in biological terms how over time life can go form no knowledge to knowledge? And off course you can do that, because you understand how evolution works, right? And I don't. :D
So please explain how over time life can go form no knowledge to knowledge?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Then you might not be an Atheist.

You might be Agnostic.

I'll still wrestling with the terminology.

Atheist vs. agnostic
There is a key distinction. An atheist doesn’t believe in a god or divine being. The word originates with the Greek atheos, which is built from the roots a- (“without”) and theos (“a god”). Atheism is the doctrine or belief that there is no god.

However, an agnostic neither believes nor disbelieves in a god or religious doctrine. Agnostics assert that it’s impossible for human beings to know anything about how the universe was created and whether or not divine beings exist.
What’s The Difference Between Atheism And Agnosticism?

Atheism is the doctrine or belief that there is no god.

However, based on the scientific method, the Atheist has no right, to make that statement without having the empirical.

Atheist means "without God"

Vaya Con Dios

Peaceful Sabbath.
No, I am not agnostic, I'm an atheist. An atheist doesn't believe in the existence of deities. That's me

It does not matter what I claim to know with certainty, it only matters whether I believe it, and I don't. I do not, for existence, know for a certainty that there is not a copy of the Mona Lisa hidden on Mars. It could have been deftly painted here on Earth and secreted aboard one of the missions we've sent to that planet. However, with no reason whatever to suspect such a thing happened, I don't believe that it did. There, I am a unbeliever in the "art-on-Mars" theory.

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No, I am not agnostic, I'm an atheist. An atheist doesn't believe in the existence of deities. That's me

It does not matter what I claim to know with certainty, it only matters whether I believe it, and I don't. I do not, for existence, no for a certainty that there is not a copy of the Mona Lisa hidden on Mars. It could have been deftly painted here on Earth and secreted aboard one of the missions we've sent to that planet. However, with no reason whatever to suspect such a thing happened, I don't believe that it did. There, I am a unbeliever in the "art-on-Mars" theory.

So you have no knowledge, only beliefs and the belief that only beliefs matter. Then you are like me.

questfortruth

I am not agnostic, I'm an atheist. An atheist doesn't believe in the existence of deities. That's me
"“He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy." Matthew 26:65

To say "atheist has lack of faith in God" is to say
"atheist is convinced, that there is no True God, all gods are idols."

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
You haven't explained how knowledge works in evolutionary terms, because how do we go from biological ancestors without knowledge to humans today with knowledge. That is your problem.
As absurd as it is, your claim reduces down to that with the first single cell life was knowledge and it has accumulated ever since.
So you need to explain in biological terms how over time life can go form no knowledge to knowledge? And off course you can do that, because you understand how evolution works, right? And I don't. :D
So please explain how over time life can go form no knowledge to knowledge?
"Beam me up, Scotty"

I'll leave you to it, enjoy

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
1. I would not use the word 'invented'. I would say it was realized that there is no God and it is only a human imagination. To Hindus, sometime around 1000 BCE, when RigVeda mentioned "The Gods are later than this world's production. Who knows then whence it first came into being?" (Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXXIX. Creation.). But then, there may have been cultures which had no concept of a God or Supreme God. I would be interested to know if there is an even older reference to atheism.
2. I do not think there was much science around 1,000 BCE. So, this was a deduction based on looking at things.
3. Atheists do not believe in existence of God / Allah, therefore, there is no question of death of any God.
Excerpt from the above poster: " To Hindus, sometime around 1000 BCE, when Rig Veda mentioned "The Gods are later than this world's production. Who knows then whence it first came into being?" (Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXXIX. Creation.)"

What was the source of knowledge of the authors (giving their names) of Rig Veda, please?
Did they themselves claim it, please?
If yes, then please quote from Rig Veda, kindly. Right?

Regards

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Excerpt from the above poster: " To Hindus, sometime around 1000 BCE, when Rig Veda mentioned "The Gods are later than this world's production. Who knows then whence it first came into being?" (Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXXIX. Creation.)"

What was the source of knowledge of the authors of Rig Veda, please?
Did they themselves claim it, please?
If yes, then please quote from Rig Veda, kindly. Right?

Regards

Regards

He did quote from it: Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXXIX. Creation

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
1. I would not use the word 'invented'. I would say it was realized that there is no God and it is only a human imagination. To Hindus, sometime around 1000 BCE, when RigVeda mentioned "The Gods are later than this world's production. Who knows then whence it first came into being?" (Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXXIX. Creation.). But then, there may have been cultures which had no concept of a God or Supreme God. I would be interested to know if there is an even older reference to atheism.
2. I do not think there was much science around 1,000 BCE. So, this was a deduction based on looking at things.
3. Atheists do not believe in existence of God / Allah, therefore, there is no question of death of any God.
Excerpt from the above poster: " I would say it was realized that there is no God and it is only a human imagination."

One's above expression suggests that the Aryans had a concept of G-d prior to their "realization" of denying G-d, please,
When they (the Aryans) denied G-d, what principled reason/argument did they give, please? Kindly quote from them in this connection, please. Right?

Regards