• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was atheism invented?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Fun fact:

In Western Classical Antiquity, theism was the fundamental belief that supported the legitimacy of the state (the polis, later the Roman Empire). Historically, any person who did not believe in any deity supported by the state was fair game to accusations of atheism, a capital crime. Charges of atheism (meaning any subversion of religion) were often used similarly to charges of heresy and impiety as a political tool to eliminate enemies. Early Christians were widely reviled as atheists because they did not believe in the existence of the Roman gods.

History of atheism

Altfish

Veteran Member
It is my personal definition, do you have an alternative definition of the word Knowledge?
Knowledge is what a person knows. It is a tautology!

Knowledge is what God has. Knowledge is the Name of God.
I prefer a dictionary,

Knowledge is facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education

Dave Watchman

If God was invented by priests, then godlessness was invented by atheists? How is it better then?

An atheist Bob might reply: "By analogy, smokers have invented smoking; and who then has invented non-smoking? Non-smokers, maybe?"

Me in reply: "Non-smoking as well as a sober lifestyle was invented by the Ministry of Health."

Bob: "Atheism is based on the achievements of science and its evidence, and religion is based only on legends and blind faith."

Me: "Atheism is unscientific because the Supposed Death of God is not scientifically proven. Faith in Wikipedia is defined (with peer-reviewed references) as loyalty, faithfulness to Omniscience. After all, God knows everything.

Sounds like a good question.

Was atheism invented?

Were the seven heads on the composite beast from Revelation 13 invented?

Was 1 ) Atheism invented?

Was 2 ) Paganism invented?

Was 3 ) Eastern Mysticism invented?

Was 4 ) Islam invented?

Was 5 ) Judaism invented?

Was 6 ) Catholicism invented?

Was 7 ) Protestantism invented?

And if they were, maybe another question would be, Who was the Inventor?

I'm told that the eighth king is one of the seven.

So Lucifer has, or is about to, seize control of them all.

The one headed for his destruction.

"The beast who once was, and now is not, is an eighth king. He belongs to the seven and is going to his destruction.​

Peaceful Sabbath.

Pilgrim Soldier

If God was invented by priests, then godlessness was invented by atheists? How is it better then?

An atheist Bob might reply: "By analogy, smokers have invented smoking; and who then has invented non-smoking? Non-smokers, maybe?"

Me in reply: "Non-smoking as well as a sober lifestyle was invented by the Ministry of Health."

Bob: "Atheism is based on the achievements of science and its evidence, and religion is based only on legends and blind faith."

Me: "Atheism is unscientific because the Supposed Death of God is not scientifically proven. Faith in Wikipedia is defined (with peer-reviewed references) as loyalty, faithfulness to Omniscience. After all, God knows everything.
God said there's no such thing as an atheist, because He has revealed Himself to every person so all are without excuse.
If a person didn't know that God exists, he would have to be forgiven for all of his sins, but since everyone knows that He exists we are all fully accountable and we will pay for every single sin we ever committed.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I disagree with just about everything you say here.

When a child is born they are an atheist.
They are taught by their parents, elders and religious leaders about one particular religion. In other words they go from not believing in a god to believing in a god.

I was born atheist, taught/indoctrinated into Christianity and then grew out of it to become an atheist again.

The invention is religion, atheism is just a lack of it.

No if religion is natural and not invented.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
God said there's no such thing as an atheist, because He has revealed Himself to every person so all are without excuse.
If a person didn't know that God exists, he would have to be forgiven for all of his sins, but since everyone knows that He exists we are all fully accountable and we will pay for every single sin we ever committed.

I don't know that God exists.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So, the atheists can not tell me a thing about atheism and its history? I can not get information about was Steven Hawking an atheist or not? Has he proven by developing Big Bang theory, that God is dead or not? There is no such information?

There is no history of atheism. The closest you'd get to that is the age of reason Age of Reason: An eighteenth-century movement which followed hard after the mysticism, religion, and superstition of the Middle Ages. The Age of Reason represented a genesis in the way man viewed himself, the pursuit of knowledge, and the universe.

And this isn't about atheism, it just means we were less about the god of the gaps and more about philosophy (questioning morals and religion and so forth) and birth of different scientific concepts inspired by the ancients. Atheism is just disbelief in gods (again and again). It has no deep motive, and Dawkins isn't no where near the "head" of the group. There are thousands of people who don't believe god-they are atheists and never heard of Darwkin. I personally don't even like the guy.

I'm not sure how people who don't believe god exist see the beginning of the universe. Most of us aren't science majors so we know nothing of the big bang. Some atheist do believe in the supernatural-just not deities.

Science and theism are no where near each other. Not even close.

Kind of like saying every christian theist believes in the prosperity gospel because some televangelist said it was in the gospel.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yes, she needs to be taught.
Don't you think it is strange that if you are born in the US you are likely to be taught Christianity; if you are born in India you are most likely to be taught Hinduism; but if you are over the border in Pakistan you are likely to be a Muslim.
The global variety of religions proves that it is taught

Who taught the first children? Who taught the first adults?