• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was atheism invented?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, the doctrinal atheism is serious teaching these last days; for example the PhD Richard Dawkin's 10 atheistic commandments in "God as illusion".
I've never read them...or anything by him.
That's one great thing about atheism....
We have no scripture to read.
Tis a lazy guy's dream.

questfortruth

I've never read them...or anything by him.
That's one great thing about atheism....
We have no scripture to read.
Tis a lazy guy's dream.
It is impossible to say, that atheism was historically prior to theism. So, atheism as idea could have been invented.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If God was invented by priests, then godlessness was invented by atheists? How is it better then?

An atheist Bob might reply: "By analogy, smokers have invented smoking; and who then has invented non-smoking? Non-smokers, maybe?"

Me in reply: "Non-smoking as well as a sober lifestyle was invented by the Ministry of Health."

Bob: "Atheism is based on the achievements of science and its evidence, and religion is based only on legends and blind faith."

Me: "Atheism is unscientific because the Supposed Death of God is not scientifically proven. Faith in Wikipedia is defined (with peer-reviewed references) as loyalty, faithfulness to Omniscience. After all, God knows everything.

I wouldn't say create atheism. There's another more appropriate word for that. Let me think. Take the word moral. When you are moral (i.e. she's a highly moral person; she knows not to take others belongs), you have good ethics or sense of right and wrong. When you're amoral, you are "without" that sense of right and wrong.

We didn't create morality but morality formed based on our environment, societal, and religious norms. A evolutionary process but I wouldn't say created.

Amoral isn't created. It's a reflection of moral. A- being without. So, if someone is amoral, they don't have ethical values that determine whatever they do and say is right or wrong (no basis of criteria to determine so). Created? No. Maybe more, just because majority of people are moral, that doesn't mean everyone is. It's just the luck of the draw.

Likewise with theism and atheism. People have believed in a creator for centuries (at least Western culture and part eastern (say some parts Hungary and Poland/guessing). But not everyone is part of that majority. That doesn't mean they rejected the majority. It doesn't mean their disbelief or atheism was created. It's just a reflection of theism. I wouldn't say theism was created anymore than our morals.

In general, this is basic english grammar. Why does it have to be so complicated?

--

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I suppose you have evidence to back this up? If not, this statement is little more than militant atheist rhetoric.

How so?

That's common knowledge. Children are born without knowing a lot of concepts. We learn about abstract concepts in elementary school (if that-I haven't been in awhile ;) ). You ask a toddler or so have you that haven't heard of the term god and think he will give an answer "creator" would be far pressing it. Also, think of children who haven't been born and raised in a christian dominates environment. I was told by one male from china who didn't identify as an atheist (didn't care about it) said in China there really isn't a profound set religion that people just grow up without knowing any religious concept altogether. Plus, belief in a creator has so complicated even Hindu vs. Christianity-how on earth would a toddler or elementary school kid would know that.

They're introduced to theism when they are young. They weren't born into believing in god (a lot of the population don't even believe in the christian god), they were taught god. Take people who were born and raised Buddhist, Hindu, so have you. How would they have any concept of a "creator" defined and determined by abrahamic traditions.

It's not really a theological thing, but just nature and nurture.