• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was atheism invented?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The validity of any statement regarding a child being born with tendency toward theism or atheism can’t be supported, so any argument that one is born a theist or an atheist is an exercise in futility.

You seem to be using a definition of atheist that requires the active rejection of god concepts.

My definition of an atheist is anybody with no god concept, which includes those that have never heard of gods including small children, those that have heard of them but were raised outside of religion and have never believed, and people like me who once belonged to a religion but later rejected it and theism altogether. BY this definition we are all born atheists.

I don't find other definitions of atheism as useful, and this helps explain why. It's not helpful to know which of these paths accounts for a person having no god belief, just whether they believe in gods or not.

tarasan

You seem to be using a definition of atheist that requires the active rejection of god concepts.

My definition of an atheist is anybody with no god concept, which includes those that have never heard of gods including small children, those that have heard of them but were raised outside of religion and have never believed, and people like me who once belonged to a religion but later rejected it and theism altogether. BY this definition we are all born atheists.

I don't find other definitions of atheism as useful, and this helps explain why. It's not helpful to know which of these paths accounts for a person having no god belief, just whether they believe in gods or not.
Whenever you talk about no god concept do u mean the lack of belief in god?

I know athiest talk about a mental state rather than a knowledge one. They describe as like a factory setting on a comupter

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
God said there's no such thing as an atheist, because He has revealed Himself to every person so all are without excuse.
If a person didn't know that God exists, he would have to be forgiven for all of his sins, but since everyone knows that He exists we are all fully accountable and we will pay for every single sin we ever committed.
Atheists don't know that God(s) exist, or we wouldn't be atheists.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Atheism Is Inconsistent with the Scientific Method, Prizewinning Physicist Says

Why are you against atheism?

I honestly think atheism is inconsistent with the scientific method. What I mean by that is, what is atheism? It’s a statement, a categorical statement that expresses belief in non belief. “I don’t believe even though I have no evidence for or against, simply I don’t believe.” Period. It’s a declaration.

But in science we don’t really do declarations. We say, “Okay, you can have a hypothesis, you have to have some evidence against or for that.” And so an agnostic would say, look, I have no evidence for God or any kind of god (What god, first of all? The Maori gods, or the Jewish or Christian or Muslim God? Which god is that?)

But on the other hand, an agnostic would acknowledge no right to make a final statement about something he or she doesn’t know about. “The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence,” and all that. This positions me very much against all of the “New Atheist” guys—even though I want my message to be respectful of people’s beliefs and reasoning, which might be community-based, or dignity-based, and so on.

Atheism Is Inconsistent with the Scientific Method, Prizewinning Physicist Says
Peaceful Sabbath.
If you don't have evidence for something, what on earth is anybody doing believing in it??

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I guess it doesn't, matter to you.

But it's not just any Mr. A, B, or C. He's a theoretical physicist making a logical case, a prize winning case, for how Atheism violates the scientific method.

Atheism is not qualified to make the declaration that there is no God.

Science is not in the business of making declarations.

"What is atheism? It’s a statement, a categorical statement that expresses belief in nonbelief. “I don’t believe even though I have no evidence for or against, simply I don’t believe.” Period. It’s a declaration. But in science we don’t really do declarations.​

Peaceful Sabbath.
Atheism isn't the assertion that there is no god.

That's his (and your) first mistake which makes the entire "argument" moot.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For your first point, how? I honestly do not know where your confusion is. What statement is contradicting which other statement? I am stating that being uncertain if a god exists or does not exists falls within atheism as atheism is being unconvinced that a god exists.
In other words, I am pointing out that what some people claim the definition of agnostic to be is in fact atheism i.e. there isn't a middle ground (the law of the excluded middle). You either believe god exists or you do not believe god exists (a true dichotomy) and saying "I don't know" is still atheism as it is being unconvinced. They are saying "I do not know" to the question of "Does god exist" NOT to "Do you know god exists" which is why it is a belief claim not a knowledge claim, it's just that the expression includes the word "know" in it.
If your answer is "I do not know" to the question of "Do you know god exists" then that is agnosticism. If I made this more confusing I apologize. And yes, anti-theism is still atheism but atheism is not anti-theism. So it is correct to say that an anti-theist is an atheist but the reverse isn't true. Anti-theists actively proclaim that god does not exist (and therefore they obviously are unconvinced that god exists) while an atheist is simply someone who is unconvinced of god existing. An oak is a tree but not all trees are oaks type of situation.

No progress can be made in these discussions until both parties are using clear definitions of words that easily allow one to say whether any given thing is included in the definition or excluded. It's not even essential that that both arties use the same definition as long as they both understand what the other means. I define words in the way that makes them most useful to me. For example, for me, the only definition of a religion I use includes gods and supernaturalism. You don't need to use the word this way, but if you understand that that is what I mean when I use the word, you can understand why I don't call secular humanism a religion, even if you do.

On the other hand if we don't do at least this, we're merely arguing past one another using different definitions that cause us to keep saying, "Well that's not what an atheist is" as you are doing here. No, atheism and agnosticism can be defined in such a way that one can be both, neither, or either one without the other. For me, atheism is merely the lack of a god belief, and agnosticism is saying that we do not know and cannot decide if god's exist. If one does this, all of the confusion above disappears. You don't have to use those words that way, but if you know that I do, you understand me when I say that I am an agnostic atheist, and it's clear that I am. There is nothing to argue about. I'm telling you that I don't believe in any gods, but that I do not claim that they cannot exist, which is my position exactly. To start using different definitions to rebut me is pointless. There is nothing to rebut. You ought to agree that if I use those words those ways, and these are positions on belief in gods and knowledge about gods, then I fit into my own definition.

A point of illustration. I'm a avid contract bridge enthusiast. There are two schools of thought on whether a 1NT opening bid is appropriate holding 5 hearts or spades (5-card majors). I play that I don't open 1NT with a 5-card major. Occasionally, I am playing with a partner who does. No problem as long as we have been clear to one another what this bid means when each makes it. Only if we use different definitions of a proper 1NT opener and don't clarify and acknowledge those differences is there a communications problem.

In my opinion, it's this lack of clarity regarding definitions that underlies all of these semantic debates. When you say, "I am stating that being uncertain if a god exists or does not exists falls within atheism as atheism is being unconvinced that a god exists." Well, not for me. If you can understand that, even if you don't like to use the words the way I do, we can communicate. If you can't or stubbornly insist that your usage should apply to as well, nothing productive can come out of further discussion. And showing me dictionaries with definitions that vary from mine as if that compels me to use those words that way is meaningless to me.

Whenever you talk about no god concept do u mean the lack of belief in god? I know athiest talk about a mental state rather than a knowledge one.

Yes, no god concept means no believe in a god, the sine qua non of atheism as I use the word. That unbelief is both necessary and sufficient in the definition, meaning it need be there to call someone an atheist, but nothing more, especially any statement on whether gods can be known to exist or not. Either answer is an atheist if there is no belief in a god.

If by mental state, you mean the presence or absence of a belief in gods, then yes, atheism is the mental state of a person who answers no the question whether they believe in any gods.

Suave

Simulated character
If God was invented by priests, then godlessness was invented by atheists? How is it better then?

An atheist Bob might reply: "By analogy, smokers have invented smoking; and who then has invented non-smoking? Non-smokers, maybe?"

Me in reply: "Non-smoking as well as a sober lifestyle was invented by the Ministry of Health."

Bob: "Atheism is based on the achievements of science and its evidence, and religion is based only on legends and blind faith."

Me: "Atheism is unscientific because the Supposed Death of God is not scientifically proven. Faith in Wikipedia is defined (with peer-reviewed references) as loyalty, faithfulness to Omniscience. After all, God knows everything.

I was born a non-believer in God, belief in God was taught to me; hence, I fail to understand how lack of belief in God was invented by atheists.

Masterdebator

I think that the bulk of the idea that theists "create" theism, and that atheists, "create" atheism has less to do with actively sculpting a deity out of mental clay and projecting it into society for people to worship, although it has been this way for the last 4000 years or more. Theism at its core, might have more to do with the relationship between human beings and unexplainable phenomena in our environment, and that It finds its roots from an ancient inability to accurately grasp, and so interprete unexplainable phenomena in our environment. The Roman Catholic church was one theistic organisation that was able to store it's own 'interpretation' of unexplained phenomena in the Bible and other aphocryphical texts stored in the Vatican. In the words of my personal favourite atheist theorist Sam Harris, atheism is not saying we know that God doesn't exist, it's the admission that we just don't know. Where religious doctrines say they know by faith that God is real, because the thousands of ancient documents that claim unexplainable spiritual [unexplained] phenomena, atheism, instead of saying, no God definitely is not real, says, we just don't know.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
See, rather than making guess work to save your kind, why dont you read up on the research and prove that they were indeed talking about gravity.
There's research? -- and who's "they?"
For that matter, what is my kind?
I'm just pointing out that "higher power" is not a clear, unambiguous concept.
This kind of apologetics is worse than the most dogmatic religious missionaries. Making up polemics on the go.
That's the problem: what they were talking about. There doesn't seem to be any consensus on what people mean by "higher power." Many, evidenced by their confusion about belief in an impersonal or non-sentient power, clearly associate the idea with a sentient personage of some kind. Others seem perfectly comfortable with the idea of an impersonal universe, a world populated by nature spirits, or powerful entities indifferent to our affairs.

Last edited:

joelr

If God was invented by priests, then godlessness was invented by atheists? How is it better then?

An atheist Bob might reply: "By analogy, smokers have invented smoking; and who then has invented non-smoking? Non-smokers, maybe?"

Me in reply: "Non-smoking as well as a sober lifestyle was invented by the Ministry of Health."

Bob: "Atheism is based on the achievements of science and its evidence, and religion is based only on legends and blind faith."

Me: "Atheism is unscientific because the Supposed Death of God is not scientifically proven. Faith in Wikipedia is defined (with peer-reviewed references) as loyalty, faithfulness to Omniscience. After all, God knows everything.

Why is attacking strawman versions of secular positions so appealing to religious people?

We don't know who exactly invented the concepts of God or Gods. We do know parents are supposed to not get to friendly with their children in a "best -friend" way and talk about relationship issues with the other parent because it's damaging to children under 4. They see the world as scary and need to believe their parents are god-like and have it all figured out.
Adults also have this need and readily explains religion.

One ancient nomadic tribe probably invented a myth about a God. They met another tribe and spoke of this God and the other tribe was like "naw, sounds made-up". "Do you have evidence?" "Oh just stories and a dude who swears he got messages from the God"...."ok thanks, bye...".
The first Atheist.
You have a myth. No good evidence. People who understand the evidence sucks are "atheist". It's not about the achievements of science, it's about critical thinking. Most religious people apply the same critical thinking to most supernatural tales like alien abductions, other religions, Big Foot, Roswell.
The only evidence is dealt with in apologetics which outside of fundamentalists, no one believes is meeting the standards of critical thinking and is one big confirmation bias.

Atheism doesn't say Zeus is dead? Or whatever God you want to believe in? Like Zeus, there isn't evidence. The evidence by far demonstrates all Gods are stories made by men.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

So far as finding God, I think a person isn't helped nor hindered by knowing a little science or a lot.

Also, it won't matter much what other people say, not ever.

Even attacks meant to attempt to slander God won't even work.

If I heard 30 people (over a year or 2) bad mouthing someone in characterizing ways....it tends to backfire: --

When someone is attacked enough....then...I start wondering what that person said in their own words.

Instead of the attacks working, they backfire, basically.

Also, badly reasoned endorsements also don't really matter that much either probably, or at least not individually.

It's the same: too many and you start to wonder if there is something there to go look at.

If even a mentally unstable person was one of the endorsers of something, that wouldn't convince me of anything one way or the other.

Perhaps....God existing is like water running downhill. You've got a snowball's chance in hell of affecting it much. If you could build a dam, then merely when it rains more the overflow will happen, or even a collapse, etc.