• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was atheism invented?

questfortruth

If God was invented by priests, then godlessness was invented by atheists? How is it better then?

An atheist Bob might reply: "By analogy, smokers have invented smoking; and who then has invented non-smoking? Non-smokers, maybe?"

Me in reply: "Non-smoking as well as a sober lifestyle was invented by the Ministry of Health."

Bob: "Atheism is based on the achievements of science and its evidence, and religion is based only on legends and blind faith."

Me: "Atheism is unscientific because the Supposed Death of God is not scientifically proven. Faith in Wikipedia is defined (with peer-reviewed references) as loyalty, faithfulness to Omniscience. After all, God knows everything.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Atheism is based on the achievements of science and its evidence, and religion is based only on legends and blind faith.

Atheism is based on lacking a belief in God or gods.

As an aside, I invented aphilatelism (not collecting stamps).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. then godlessness was invented by atheists?
Bob: "Atheism is based on the achievements of science and its evidence, and religion is based only on legends and blind faith."
Me: "Atheism is unscientific because the Supposed Death of God is not scientifically proven.
1. I would not use the word 'invented'. I would say it was realized that there is no God and it is only a human imagination. To Hindus, sometime around 1000 BCE, when RigVeda mentioned "The Gods are later than this world's production. Who knows then whence it first came into being?" (Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXXIX. Creation.). But then, there may have been cultures which had no concept of a God or Supreme God. I would be interested to know if there is an even older reference to atheism.
2. I do not think there was much science around 1,000 BCE. So, this was a deduction based on looking at things.
3. Atheists do not believe in existence of God / Allah, therefore, there is no question of death of any God.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Please provide the answers to these. They are not rhetoric ones.

I think I did. But evidently, my point was missed. Please allow me to spell it out.

If the belief in God or gods is one's Prakriti, or if collecting stamps is one's Prakriti, then they are obviously not "unnatural."

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Salix, do you think he will understand this - prakriti. You might have to explain it in detail. ;)
Atheism is true, only because it is really true?
Such a sentence is totally unscientific.
How can it be false if it is really true (that God/gods/Goddesses do not exist)?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Who invented the atheism versus theism quarrel? Whoever it was, he/she sure knew about finding something to waste people's time.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Brahman. Since in that form it is under the influence of 'maya'. Take for example a monkey or a cockroach. It is none other than Brahman, but it is limited by its form. When that form disappears, the limitation also disappears, it becomes 'what exists'. If it was not for that, every one would have been Puttaparthy or Shirdi Sai. Kabir:

"Jal mein kumbha, kumbha mein jal hai, bahar bhitar pani;
phoota kumbha jal jalahi samana, yah tath kahyo giyani."

"The pitcher is in water, there is water in the pitcher, water is inside as well as outside;
the pitcher broke, water mixed into water, so said the knowledgeable."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If God was invented by priests, then godlessness was invented by atheists? How is it better then?

An atheist Bob might reply: "By analogy, smokers have invented smoking; and who then has invented non-smoking? Non-smokers, maybe?"

Me in reply: "Non-smoking as well as a sober lifestyle was invented by the Ministry of Health."

Me: "Atheism is unscientific because the Supposed Death of God is not scientifically proven. Faith in Wikipedia is defined (with peer-reviewed references) as loyalty, faithfulness to Omniscience. After all, God knows everything.
Only the name was invented.
Not believing in gods has existed since the beginning of time.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Strange question.

If cars were invented by people, who invented the absence of cars before there were any?

Altfish

Veteran Member

I disagree with just about everything you say here.

When a child is born they are an atheist.
They are taught by their parents, elders and religious leaders about one particular religion. In other words they go from not believing in a god to believing in a god.

I was born atheist, taught/indoctrinated into Christianity and then grew out of it to become an atheist again.

The invention is religion, atheism is just a lack of it.