• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

War with China by 2025?

Nimos

It's difficult to say, but looking at Russia/Ukraine and former WWs it is obvious that it doesn't take a lot for a war to start. However I don't think that China is as reckless as Russia is and I also think that they are far better prepared, calculated and organized than they are.

One could wonder if China is hoping or looking at how the western world is dealing with Russia/Ukraine war and how it will affect those countries, if people in the west gets tired of supporting the war for whatever reason, they might see an opportunity to push things in regards to Taiwan and hope that there ain't really a willingness to get into yet another conflict, including one that could be said to be of potential very huge economic consequences.

But on the hand, China might do a lot of weird things, but in general, they are not particularly known for being on the warpath in the same way as Putin, or Hitler was etc. China have a tendency to have long-term goals and pretty much stick to its own interests.

So I think it highly depends on how far they are willing to try to push their agenda. But I don't think anyone would prefer a straight-up war with China, it could be one hell of a bloody affair, so I think all parts would prefer a political solution if possible.

Audie

Veteran Member
As a US general he tends to see things as a USA matter, but China is primarily of concern to other nations. They will act long before we do. India. Malaysia. Japan. If China turns into N Korea it will be kissing its butt goodbye. The government of China is like pure fat -- pure graft. Russia has proven to be riddled with holes from graft due to its top-down government, and anyone who wants to be wealthy must be friends with the right people. Russia, however, is not nearly so fraternal as China is. Everything is about political struggle for the top of the party. I anticipate even worse problems in China. There's no way it can sustain a war with anybody for longer than six months. Its like a sub with screen doors.
China has a deep history of great
upheavals and self destruction.

Application of cloudy crystal balls
wont predict the future.

Imo, though there will be no attack
on Taiwan. The economic consequences
would be too great.

Patience is key. Taiwan ( tectonics at work)
is moving a few inches a year toward co.lision
south of Shanghai.

Viker

Häxan
Britain and Iceland had a codfish war.
None of this is earthshaking.
I agree. A Great Food Fight between China and the US is, however, imminent.

animal-house-foodfight.gif

food-fight-food-war.gif

Shaul

Premium Member
There will not be a war between China and the United States. In any such war the United States would annihilate China, and China knows this. This General was very irresponsible for speaking like this. He should be cautioned, if not sanctioned.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Anything is possible.
Actually we can safely eliminate many possible scenarios due to being too destructive to China. As has been mentioned, some of the scenarios would upend the world economy and that, obviously, would not be a goal or motive for any involved nation.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
There will not be a war between China and the United States. In any such war the United States would annihilate China, and China knows this. This General was very irresponsible for speaking like this. He should be cautioned, if not sanctioned.

The US couldn't even "annihilate" the Taliban in Afghanistan, and they're orders of magnitude less prepared economically and militarily than China is. You seem to be overstating the US' power or severely understating China's.

I hope for everyone's sake that such a war never happens. Bar usage of nukes and consequent mutually assured destruction, the US wouldn't annihilate China, nor would China annihilate the US. Both are far too powerful industrially, economically, and militarily for a direct armed conflict between them to be anything but literally world-changing, quite possibly with no winners.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Time to reopen the fallout shelters.
When I was in high school in the early 1960's, on my walk home [you know, uphill both ways] there was a metallic bomb shelter one could buy on a corner lot near the school, which was a reaction to the Soviet launching of Sputnik, which shook us up big time.

Shaul

Premium Member
The US couldn't even "annihilate" the Taliban in Afghanistan, and they're orders of magnitude less prepared economically and militarily than China is. You seem to be overstating the US' power or severely understating China's.

I hope for everyone's sake that such a war never happens. Bar usage of nukes and consequent mutually assured destruction, the US wouldn't annihilate China, nor would China annihilate the US. Both are far too powerful industrially, economically, and militarily for a direct armed conflict between them to be anything but literally world-changing, quite possibly with no winners.
I disagree. There is a qualitative difference between a limited war of containment (as the was one in Afghanistan) and an all out war, as the hypothetical war between China and the U.S. would be. I neither over-estimate the U.S. military capability nor under-estimate the Chinese military capability. The U.S. has sufficient military prowess to project its forces in an all-out war anywhere on the planet. (Possibly even in two theaters simultaneously) The Chinese military has no such projection capability. It has no blue ocean navy nor blue sky capability. The U.S. could annihilate China by simply blockading it. Without imports to sustain its economy the Chinese regime would collapse within six months. If it chose to do so the U.S. could even invade China, although at horrendous cost. It would also be pointless and irrational to do so. China needs the globalized system which the U.S. created and controls. China needs the U.S. The U.S. can survive fine without China.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
China has a deep history of great
upheavals and self destruction.

Application of cloudy crystal balls
wont predict the future.

Imo, though there will be no attack
on Taiwan. The economic consequences
would be too great.

Patience is key. Taiwan ( tectonics at work)
is moving a few inches a year toward co.lision
south of Shanghai.
I don't think China's pre-Mao history
strongly applies to post-Mao China.