• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

War As A Means Of Distraction

Cooky

Veteran Member
A double standard, perhaps?
If they attack us, we'll obliterate them?
But if we attack them, we should be sternly chided by other nations.

Yes. They cannot be allowed to obliterate us. Untrammelled equality, as an absolute, is the stuff fantasies are made of. Unfortunately.

If Joe shmoe dies at 45, I should not kill myself at 45 to embrace equality, for example.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes. They cannot be allowed to obliterate us. Untrammelled equality, as an absolute, is the stuff fantasies are made of. Unfortunately.
And we shouldn't be allowed to obliterate them.

This is how war lust always goes....
There are endless threats, slights, offenses, & faults which can be cited
to support the desire to bomb some s*ithole country into the stoneage.
But where's the rational evaluation of costs vs benefits?
Empathy & reason are the first casualties of war.

Cooky

Veteran Member
And we shouldn't be allowed to obliterate them.

This is how war lust always goes....
There are endless threats, slights, offenses, & faults which can be cited
to support the desire to bomb some s*ithole country into the stoneage.
But where's the rational evaluation of costs vs benefits?
Empathy & reason are the first casualties of war.

Are you suggesting it's immoral to obliterate Iran? Or is it because not doing so would benefit us in the future?

...Because if we did, nobody could stop us.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Are you suggesting it's immoral to obliterate Iran?
Yes, if only because Hillary suggested doing it.
You aren't becoming a fan of hers now, are you?

On second thought, that was too mild.
It is entirely immoral & heinous to obliterate Iran,
or even to advocate doing so.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Granted, Trump has always been a loose cannon.
But I don't see major objections from Congress.
They too have a history of war lust & inhumanity.
Very true. But what is wrong with people they don't write everyone and tell them "we" which is supposed to mean "US", don't want another stinkin war. Enough people have gotten rich enough off all the wars we start. So enough already. Find a better way already. But if the puppets don't hear from the people more than the oligarchs, they always win.

We just need to stop killing people first. Then we will have time to think up real solutions .

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Very true. But what is wrong with people they don't write everyone and tell them "we" which is supposed to mean "US", don't want another stinkin war. Enough people have gotten rich enough off all the wars we start. So enough already. Find a better way already. But if the puppets don't hear from the people more than the oligarchs, they always win.

We just need to stop killing people first. Then we will have time to think up real solutions .
Have you noticed that (on RF) objections to Trump personally are far
louder & more numerous than objections to attacking Iran? And in the
media, the same appears true. A large segment of the citizenry are
OK with war. Objections are typically partisan, eg, protests against
Bush's wars evaporated when they became Obama's wars.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Have you noticed that (on RF) objections to Trump personally are far
louder & more numerous than objections to attacking Iran? And in the
media, the same appears true. A large segment of the citizenry are
OK with war. Objections are typically partisan, eg, protests against
Bush's wars evaporated when they became Obama's wars.
Yes, I notice. Distraction by finger pointing and making "news" out of the unimportant as long as it's entertaining and superficial is the normal now. Actually doing something to find solutions and balance is more difficult. And what's good for one side should be best for all sides in the big picture. That is missing totally.

And who cares what Trump says anyway? He was elected by those who agree with his ideas and values. It says nothing about Trump and everything about the current values and attitudes of the people of this nation. That is the crux of the matter. Obviously, people in this country relate to his rhetoric or he wouldn't be the president. The problems leading to this situation have been long in the making by both parties, their followers and the resulting administrations.

I ended up disliking Obama for more than several reasons such as the continuence of the war and upping the drone strikes. His total fold on getting a grip of the privitization of incarnation and the big money it produces for shareholders. List goes on and on. He was no better than any of them except on some social issues. He was not even able to protect national parks from new drilling leases. I don't know. People are people. Some are for fairness and justness and some are for themselves. It's what it basically comes down to with the partisan groups we have now.

There always needs to be a middle way and that is lacking right now. I do blame Rump personally for being so blatant about intolerance and his mine, mine, all mine attitude. I mean zero supporters care if the guy got caught red handed lying, cheating, stealing, and hating openly. He failed every business he started and screwed everyone in the process. It is apparently what drew them to him. Or they just are ignorant of the facts. Believe me, I wouldn't have been much happier with the Hillary and her garbage in there with her oligarchy links.. Are you serious? Is this the best we can do to cone up with leaders around here? I just don't get it.

Indoctrination of our nation towards consumerism as the main life goal and a measure of value and success, ignorance of our state and federal legislation, indifference to being dinner on the plate instead of being at the table are all contributions to the problems.

But I'm guessing all of the arguments about trying to change the ways of the the world for the better have been repeated ad nauseum forever. We are still here.

All we can do is keep trying to bring little changes to further the fairness of humanity Eventually, some come to fruition. Nothing much actually changes and is always slow to get there before it does. As humans we need to create some purposes because there really aren't any given to us.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He was elected by those who agree with his ideas and values.
That's not true for many of us, who disagreed with him
on some issues, but saw him as the lesser of 2 evils.
All we can do is keep trying to bring little changes to further the fairness of humanity Eventually, some come to fruition. Nothing much actually changes and is always slow to get there before it does. As humans we need to create some purposes because there really aren't any given to us.
Let's not forget some positive changes...
- Gay marriage is now legal.
- The First Step act.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
That's not true for many of us, who disagreed with him
on some issues, but saw him as the lesser of 2 evils.

Let's not forget some positive changes...
- Gay marriage is now legal.
- The First Step act.
Yes there are some very good, hard won battles and successful results from the efforts. Hopefully we will keep progressing. But with anti-abortion legislation and no funding for an overburdend system taking care of abused and neglected children living in utter poverty, I scratch my head and wonder why we have gone so backwards in some areas. Didn't we already do anti-abortion in the past? Where women died because of coat hanger infections and injuries? Doesn't history show that tariffs and trade wars don't work at all? It's really odd we are digressing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes there are some very good, hard won battles and successful results from the efforts. Hopefully we will keep progressing. But with anti-abortion legislation and no funding for an overburdend system taking care of abused and neglected children living in utter poverty, I scratch my head and wonder why we have gone so backwards in some areas. Didn't we already do anti-abortion in the past? Where women died because of coat hanger infections and injuries? Doesn't history show that tariffs and trade wars don't work at all? It's really odd we are digressing.
We've always had & always will have backsliders.
Yet progress has happened.
So I remain an optometrist optimist.