• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want to become Buddhist

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I have always liked Buddhism, but it seems like so much to learn. I need to start from the beginning. What should I do or read to get started?

Osal

You need to practice and study, in that order of importance. Find a Buddhist center and get some practice instruction. You will also be able take classes there too. Check out other writers. Pema Chodren is very good and may suit you. You can check out many great teachers online. Take it in.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
You need to practice and study, in that order of importance. Find a Buddhist center and get some practice instruction. You will also be able take classes there too. Check out other writers. Pema Chodren is very good and may suit you. You can check out many great teachers online. Take it in.

I will do that. Thanks!

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Another question I have is that belief o matic said I was Mahayana, but do I have to pick one of the schools under Mahayana or is there a "generic" way to be one?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Another question I have is that belief o matic said I was Mahayana, but do I have to pick one of the schools under Mahayana or is there a "generic" way to be one?
Mahayana has a very broad range of schools--from Pure Land to Zen to everything in between. It is known as the Bodhisattva Path.

Here's a story about a Bodhisattva named Wu-Ming:

The Cucumber Sage

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
The easiest meditation to learn to help you get started is Zazen. You can learn how to do it in less than 10 minutes. There are a lot of youtube videos and other how-to's on the web that will help you get started. It's a great place to start.

Once you learn Zazen, another useful type of meditation is called Vipassana (Insight meditation via Mindfulness of Breathing.) Many of the meditation courses out there teach this. Here is a Pali Sutta describing it:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.118.than.html

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
The easiest meditation to learn to help you get started is Zazen. You can learn how to do it in less than 10 minutes. There are a lot of youtube videos and other how-to's on the web that will help you get started. It's a great place to start.

Once you learn Zazen, another useful type of meditation is called Vipassana (Insight meditation via Mindfulness of Breathing.) Many of the meditation courses out there teach this. Here is a Pali Sutta describing it:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.118.than.html

Thank you!

Kartari

Hi Thirza,

For some reason, I can't get into Thich Nhat Hanh's or The Dalai Lama's books. I don't know why. :(

Hmmm. This compels me to ask, what are you looking to find in Buddhism? Buddhism spans a broad spectrum, so depending on your answer, you may find some sects more appealing than others. Also, both Thich Nhat Hanh and the Dalai Lama have written to different audiences with differing degrees of technicality. The Dalai Lama for instance has written very short and generic books intended for a wide and non-Buddhist audience, as well as more technical works intended for the more studied practitioners. And Thich Nhat Hanh has similarly written both broad books intended for a Christian audience specifically, as well as meditation manuals for practitioners, more technical commentaries on various sutras, and even books of poetry. You might find that you've simply read the "wrong" books from these authors, meaning perhaps you've yet to find the books from these two which you might find more appealing to you, if you give them a chance.

I know that some Buddhists will disagree with me. And I get the benefits of attending a temple, monastery, or center regularly. But it is possible to have your own practice, and one which combines aspects of different Buddhist traditions. Personally, I could never decide between even Theravada or Mahayana as I genuinely like certain teachings in both and find some aspects less appealing in both, so I'm more of an eclectic kind of Buddhist. That said, Mahayana is definitely more varied in its denominations. Like I wrote, which one(s) you would be most drawn to depends on what you're looking to find in Buddhism.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Hi Thirza,

Hmmm. This compels me to ask, what are you looking to find in Buddhism? Buddhism spans a broad spectrum, so depending on your answer, you may find some sects more appealing than others. Also, both Thich Nhat Hanh and the Dalai Lama have written to different audiences with differing degrees of technicality. The Dalai Lama for instance has written very short and generic books intended for a wide and non-Buddhist audience, as well as more technical works intended for the more studied practitioners. And Thich Nhat Hanh has similarly written both broad books intended for a Christian audience specifically, as well as meditation manuals for practitioners, more technical commentaries on various sutras, and even books of poetry. You might find that you've simply read the "wrong" books from these authors, meaning perhaps you've yet to find the books from these two which you might find more appealing to you, if you give them a chance.

Okay, I did see what you mentioned about those two. I can keep checking, thanks!