• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walmart apologizes for sweaters featuring Santa with cocaine

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Walmart apologizes for sweaters featuring Santa with cocaine, pants off

Walmart Inc. has apologized for an adults-only Christmas sweater that appeared to depict Santa with cocaine on its Canadian website, according to a report.

The retailer WMT, -0.17% pulled the holiday outfit — along with several other risque seasonal sweaters — Saturday after they caused a stir with social media users, Global News Canada reported.

“These sweaters, sold by a third-party seller on Walmart.ca, do not represent Walmart’s values and have no place on our website,” a spokesperson told the outlet.” We have removed these products from our marketplace. We apologize for any unintended offense this may have caused.”

MW-HW555_santa__20191208181028_ZH.jpg

I'm kind of an irreverent, "nothing is sacred" kind of guy myself, although I can kind of see where some people would have a complaint over this.

Other items for sale depicted Father Christmas in compromising situations, including with his pants off — roasting his “chestnuts” — in front of a fireplace.

The threads quickly made the rounds on social media, where shoppers expressed shock about Saint Nick’s antics.

Whenever I see articles like this, my first question is: Who was the actual person(s) who created and designed this thing? Why don't they ever interview them and ask them just how in the heck came up with such a thing? That's the part that I find the most fascinating.

Someone was at work one day, someone whose job it is to create and design Christmas sweaters. One day, they had a great idea! They decided to design a sweater depicting Santa doing cocaine. They showed it to others, and they also thought it was a great idea. They showed it to their boss, who apparently thought "That's great! Let's send it into production right away!"

But then, it gets shown to the public who react in shock and horror. How could they not foresee that? How could they not realize how it would be received?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Actually, notice the pile of balls on the table. That's not "cocaine", that's "Snocaine". You folks just have suspicious minds.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Basically, IMO, its just wrong on many levels, and the folks at Walmart should have known that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
While that might be the designer's intent, I don't see those lines as cocaine.
They're shaped like diamonds / clothing darts.
Cocaine lines are rod like.
(I know this from watching a great deal of TV.)

Some people just live to be offended by something, eh.
Btw, I like the sweater....it's not sappy, cutesy, or cloying.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

But the straw in his hand and the wonderful cheesy grin are dead giveaways

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

They're sparkles that give the table more depth. Where is the supposed cocaine?

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
But the straw in his hand and the wonderful cheesy grin are dead giveaways
The dude has to deliver presents to a billion kids in a 24 hour period, while consuming literal kilotonnes of alcohol. Anyone who expected Santa was doing this without chemical assistance is naive.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The dude has to deliver presents to a billion kids in a 24 hour period, while consuming literal kilotonnes of alcohol. Anyone who expected Santa was doing this without chemical assistance is naive.

And here was me thinking it was magic ;-)

HonestJoe

But then, it gets shown to the public who react in shock and horror. How could they not foresee that? How could they not realize how it would be received?
It's probably a calculated risk. Most people won't care, a few people will find in funny and want to buy one and a few people will make a big noise about it and get them some free advertising. I doubt they sunk a massive investment in the product line and will have a whole new set of "controversial" sweaters available for next year. :cool:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't see the problem, maybe someone could explain it.
That's what I was thinking.
Show me a pic of a sweater with Santa roasting his chest and nuts in front of a fireplace, and I might well buy one for the family Christmas get together and Doug's work Christmas party.

I'm just like that.
Tom

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
pretty much the case for every one of these breathless "ZOMG! BIG FACELESS CORPORATION IS SELLING SOMETHING IN QUESTIONABLE TASTE!!" stories.
Having worked for a couple of 'big faceless corporations' in my day, I know that doing something stupid is not limited to things that get into the news.