• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walmart and Dick's Sporting Goods Sued

suncowiam

I hate to be the state that allowed a weapon to be used in crime let alone a mass murder versus the state that allowed a cake to be used in a wedding let alone a gay wedding. The stakes are quite different but unfortunately the law doesn't perceive this so technically it's true that selling cakes is the same as selling guns.

So everyone that's suggesting how true this is, do me a favor and say technically you're right. But please stop saying that selling cakes and selling guns are exactly the same thing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It would be much more interesting if a store gun advocate decided to sell guns to minors and felons and try and take that to court.
The courts won't force a business to do something which is illegal.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I hate to be the state that allowed a weapon to be used in crime let alone a mass murder versus the state that allowed a cake to be used in a wedding let alone a gay wedding. The stakes are quite different but unfortunately the law doesn't perceive this so technically it's true that selling cakes is the same as selling guns.

So everyone that's suggesting how true this is, do me a favor and say technically you're right. But please stop saying that selling cakes and selling guns are exactly the same thing.
There would be a much bigger similarity if we are talking about cakes with tobacco or cannabis in them.;)

tytlyf

Not Religious
Good, let's get it all out on the table.

I doubt these retailers didn't check with their lawyers before making this move. A lot of these shooters are under 21, so it's a good step.

Can't these 18 year olds still purchase a shotgun or the like?

esmith

Veteran Member

I doubt these retailers didn't check with their lawyers before making this move. A lot of these shooters are under 21, so it's a good step.

research first, if you can't find then answer ask.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Age and sexual orientation are different. Just as race is a different thing. The kicker is age discrimination is already rampant depending on products and services and depending on the state laws.
Unfortunately, so is sexual orientation as it is not a federally protected class. If it is a protected class as it is in Oregon, then it is a protected class. It will be interesting to read the case. Their companies legal team must have some strategy, but I cannot think of what it is. One is allowed to discriminate if not discriminating is against the law or too burdensome. I don't see that though. Time will tell.

Stanyon

WWMRD?

It seems to me more of a knee jerk reaction by politicians and businesses to show the public they were doing "something" regardless of the facts.

idav

Being
Premium Member

Wal mart is already limited in what they sell. They even went as far as not wanting to sell toys that look dangerous. Daddy can still buy their 20 year old all the AR 15’s they want but Wally hasn’t carried those I don’t think.
Feel free to make a case that a particular state or local law is unconstitutional.

Btw, when citing the 2nd Amendment, it's more compelling if you spell it correctly.
Sure, and with all lawsuits “let’s get ready to rumble”. :)

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
For those of you who believe that businesses establishing age limits is discriminatory, can I assume that you also believe the same about businesses who refuse to serve homosexuals? I hate to imagine that anyone here would be a two-faced hypocrite.

Curious George

Veteran Member

Maybe. Not sure exactly what the new policy is. Perhaps the lawyers missed a state. Or perhaps they wanted to push the issue in the 9th district. But even if they could still buy a shotgun it is still discrimination.

Perhaps it was a calculated bluff. Change the policy for a month, pay out a lawsuit, and then say "we tried America, and thank you for the publicity"

idav

Being
Premium Member
Unfortunately, so is sexual orientation as it is not a federally protected class. If it is a protected class as it is in Oregon, then it is a protected class. It will be interesting to read the case. Their companies legal team must have some strategy, but I cannot think of what it is. One is allowed to discriminate if not discriminating is against the law or too burdensome. I don't see that though. Time will tell.
My take is that, being a store that carries weapons used in crimes is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Lawsuits can easily go the other way on this. The victims of FL can start suing gun stores. That’s just me guessing though I’m not trying to give any victims bright ideas.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Maybe. Not sure exactly what the new policy is. Perhaps the lawyers missed a state. Or perhaps they wanted to push the issue in the 9th district. But even if they could still buy a shotgun it is still discrimination.

Perhaps it was a calculated bluff. Change the policy for a month, pay out a lawsuit, and then say "we tried America, and thank you for the publicity"
I'm sure their lawyers already went through it all and predicted this. Usually these corporations have good counsel and know all the ins and outs.

The 2A doesn't give you the right to own any weapon on the planet.

And where are all these people I keep hearing the NRA talk about that want guns banned because "they're scary looking?"

Just another mythical creation to distract the rubes.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
And here I thought that conservatives actually believe that the government shouldn't intrude on what a private business may or may not wish to sell that is legal otherwise.

Nah, conservatives claim to be all about state rights and business rights...that is until states and businesses start doing things that they disagree with.