• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wal-Mart - Good or Bad?

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
GeneCosta said:
No entity can be assigned a black or white strip. :p

dang it man! pick a side. You are either with us or against us! :D

Well, I love wal-mart. I do almost all of my shopping there for two reasons, I am cheap and poor.

SoyLeche

meh...
I'm not a fan of Walmart - or anyone for that matter - using eminent domain to get property, but I have no problem with Walmart in general.

astarath

Walmart is merely a perfect symbol of the corrupt nature of capitalism and a fairly accurate portrayal of the general mind set of this generation. They come into a city, eliminate the competition. Take all they can, make as much money as possible destroy all the competition and then when there is not enough money left to be made they ship out in search for more money. Leaving a wake of destruction and strife in their wake!!!!

SoyLeche

meh...
astarath said:
Walmart is merely a perfect symbol of the corrupt nature of capitalism and a fairly accurate portrayal of the general mind set of this generation. They come into a city, eliminate the competition. Take all they can, make as much money as possible destroy all the competition and then when there is not enough money left to be made they ship out in search for more money. Leaving a wake of destruction and strife in their wake!!!!
That's a nice story. Doesn't happen though,

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Walmart is great. There is a SuperWalmart nearby and I can buy everything I need there. The groceries are alot cheaper than places like Safeway or Giant, and you can't buy a bicycle or a playstation and a pair of jeans in a grocery store. They hire lots of people and I even worked there for a while after getting laid off. I'd rather shop at one place for everything and get it all cheaper than have to go to separate stores and pay a premium. The stores they run out of town are lame anyway.

PetShopBoy88

SoyLeche said:
I'm not a fan of Walmart - or anyone for that matter - using eminent domain to get property, but I have no problem with Walmart in general.
I didn't know Wal-Mart used eminent domain to get land. That's interesting. Eminent domain is bollocks.

On the other hand, Wal-Mart as a whole is pretty good business. It provides people with jobs and provides other people with cheap but generally good quality merchandise.

SoyLeche

meh...
PetShopBoy88 said:
I didn't know Wal-Mart used eminent domain to get land. That's interesting. Eminent domain is bollocks.

On the other hand, Wal-Mart as a whole is pretty good business. It provides people with jobs and provides other people with cheap but generally good quality merchandise.
I don't know if Wal-Mart does or not. I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

My main problem with Wal-Mart is that their parking lot sucks, and their service is usually sub-par. Their checkers are slow, and they never seem to have enough lines open at busy times. That has been the case in most of the Walmarts I've been in.

PetShopBoy88

SoyLeche said:
I don't know if Wal-Mart does or not. I wouldn't be surprised if they do.
Oh, I misunderstood what you were saying. When you said you had a problem with people using eminent domain, I just assumed you meant you had a problem with Wal-Mart using eminent domain.

My main problem with Wal-Mart is that their parking lot sucks, and their service is usually sub-par. Their checkers are slow, and they never seem to have enough lines open at busy times. That has been the case in most of the Walmarts I've been in.
That's the case with most stores in general I've ever been in, but with the cheap prices, you're obviously not paying for service. There's a toss-up between prices and service. If you want cheap things, you have to be willing to let go of some good service, and if you want good service you have to be willing to pay for it.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Sorry Comprehend, I am one of those folks who will go out of my way to avoid shopping at a Wal-Mart. I much prefer to give my meager earnings to small businesses who actually care about my patronage and about their employees. Plus I actually look at the "Made in ____ label" before making a purchase. I actually will pay more to buy a product that is "Made in Canada" or even "Made in the USA". I'm not so keen on buying products from elsewhere.. although it is getting harder each day to do so.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
YmirGF said:
Sorry Comprehend, I am one of those folks who will go out of my way to avoid shopping at a Wal-Mart. I much prefer to give my meager earnings to small businesses who actually care about my patronage and about their employees. Plus I actually look at the "Made in ____ label" before making a purchase. I actually will pay more to buy a product that is "Made in Canada" or even "Made in the USA". I'm not so keen on buying products from elsewhere.. although it is getting harder each day to do so.

That's ok YmirGF,

**tears down poster of YmirGF on wall**

I buy based on value. That is why I own a Honda, US cars are junk. Honda is still a better value even after the protectionist tariffs are slapped on there.

**dowses poster in gasoline**

I look at the funeral everyone is holding for the "mom and pop" businesses that are being destroyed (supposedly) by wal-mart as I might have looked at the buggy makers 100 years ago. Do you also feel terrible that 150 years ago the country was 75% farmers? Now almost all farming is done by huge farming corporations. The mom and pop farms are all gone.

This actually helped the country not hurt it. The efficiency of the farming industry led to the availability of labor to perform more diversified jobs.

**lights match**

Wal-mart is allowing for the diversification of small town labor. It also attracts more businesses than it closes (IMO).

SoyLeche

meh...
comprehend said:
I buy based on value. That is why I own a Honda, US cars are junk. Honda is still a better value even after the protectionist tariffs are slapped on there.
[tangent]I might own a Honda today if the salesman wasn't so pushy. The Buick dealer was much easier to work with (and I liked the car better anyway)[/tangent]

Dolphin

It is unfortunate tha this country has supported big business such as Wal Mart, however, it is the obvious direction to go. Although the independents were more personal, the big guys can offer selection, satisfaction and pricing that can only be done in huge volume merchandising.

evearael

Terrible service and treatment of employees, poor quality merchandice, dirty stores and parking lots... We live on a very frugally on a modest income, but we avoid Walmart like the plague. I would much rather shop local small businesses, thrift stores and farmer's markets with good customer service and pay more for the priviledge.

PetShopBoy88

evearael said:
Terrible ... treatment of employees
...Yet they still choose to work there. It must be better than their best alternative. Why is it bad to give somebody better than what their best alternative is?