• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wahabism

Pink Top Hat

Considering the huge surge now in Saudi spreading the fanatical Wahabism across the globe should the forum have a separate board named Wahabism/Salafism?

We can't put it under Sunni because most of the sunni of the world have no connection at all to this strange creed.

Anyone agree it should have it's own board?

F0uad

Whabaism and Salafism are sunnis

The first creed of Whabaism is that they aherd to the tahwid so do all muslims
There second creed is the acceptance of Allah(swt) again so do all muslims
There third creed is that the Quran and hadith are the religious authorities and guide-lines so do Sunnis, Salafi's and debatable shia's

Pink Top Hat

Well Salafis are Sunnis the numbers of '''Wahabisten'' are very very small.

This is why we need to differentiate between them.

There are 1.9 billion Muslims and very few are the radical extremist Wahabi followers and it is the Wahabi fanatics that are the ones making the news that give all Muslims a bad name.

Muslims need to distance themselves from the fanatics.

F0uad

With all respect brother do you know about what your speaking about?

Wahhabi means to bestow, to give. Al-Whab is Allah(swt)'s name it means that ''He is the ultimate bestower'' so you don't take the name and just play with it.

What really happened 200years ago a student of knowledge who memorized the whole quran when he was not even a teenager yet. He studied all of the FIqh of the Hanafi then he studied the others. He discovered while learning that the people in there time were committing great sins because they were worshipping graves. Then the wealth community who were used to it opposed the group and call those followers Wahhabi, why? Because hes name was Mohammed and if you would call hes followers Mohammedians it wouldn't make sense since Muslims are also called Mohammedians so they called them Whabais because hes father was called AbdulWhab hes real name was Mohammed Ibn AbdulWhab and he rode a book called Kitaab Imaam its about the tahwid what is also used by Sunnis.

Whabi's, Salfi's, Hanafi's, Hanbalis, Malikis, Shafi's are branches of Sunni islam and school of thoughts they are all accepted and seen by each other as legit. I think your ideas mainly come from how the west portrays them.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Considering the huge surge now in Saudi spreading the fanatical Wahabism across the globe should the forum have a separate board named Wahabism/Salafism?

We can't put it under Sunni because most of the sunni of the world have no connection at all to this strange creed.

Anyone agree it should have it's own board?

How do you define Wahabism/Salafism? Please provide your sources as well as a reference.

waqasahmed

As it is a fact that any nation will try to enforce it's ideology through various means it have.Take the example of US.It uses diplomacy,wars,media campaigns etc to enforce it's version of democracy all over world.Now in the same context Wahhabism/Salafism is being enforce by Gulf Arab Monarchies to garner political influence.Same can be said about Iran promoting it's version of Islam.
Wahhabism/Salafism does represent a violent version of Islam as millions of petro dollars are always available to the terrorists and ultra orthodox groups(Muslim Brotherhood,Mali extremists,Boko Haram etc) to carry forward the specific wahhabi agenda.However in the same light shiism,liberal democracy are also equally violent as their promotion also involves a lot of killing.However once enforced while liberal democracy guarentees personal freedom,in case of ultra conservative wahhabism/shiism the individual is merely a puppet who has to live as he is told to.

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!
I was always under the impression that Wahabbi Islam was limited to Saudi Arabia for the most part? I know there's Wahabbi mosques in the UK but they're not common.

F0uad

I was always under the impression that Wahabbi Islam was limited to Saudi Arabia for the most part? I know there's Wahabbi mosques in the UK but they're not common.

:sad4: I can call myself a Whabbi but i will still remain a Sunni. Labeling yourself a Whabbi simply means that you follow the work that Mohammed Ibn AbdulWhab did/wrote that is to revive pure Islam. The same goes for Salafists.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali

If I may,

You will hear "salafi" more often. In America, this is very common.

Most I have against Salafism is the fact they equate Islam to Arab culture. Which is why Mali civilians feel oppressed by Ansar Din, who force them to adhere to salafism. They make it seem like one needs to have an Arabic name, wear arabic clothes, niqab, etc.

But what do you expect? In America, Salafi publications and dawah are the most common.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
If I may,

You will hear "salafi" more often. In America, this is very common.

:sorry1: This is a DIR, I know, but I wanted to say that UK too has Salafi as a term. I noticed when I was looking for a mosque or community centre near me.

Unfortunately there was never somewhere for me to go, back when I was more interested in Islam. I had the "choice" of Salafi or Ahmadiyya.

F0uad

:sorry1: This is a DIR, I know, but I wanted to say that UK too has Salafi as a term. I noticed when I was looking for a mosque or community centre near me.

Unfortunately there was never somewhere for me to go, back when I was more interested in Islam. I had the "choice" of Salafi or Ahmadiyya.

With all respect and ill repeat myself a Salafi is a Sunni ask the people who label Salafi's themselves.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali

With all respect and ill repeat myself a Salafi is a Sunni ask the people who label Salafi's themselves.

Correct. They are most definitely Sunni muslims. All in all, they are not that bad. And they have done some good, calling out bidah.

I have a link to a great article, but it would seem I am still too new to post it. It speaks of the good and bad of salafism in america, which I found was very accurate. If wanted, just PM:D

F0uad

Correct. They are most definitely Sunni muslims. All in all, they are not that bad. And they have done some good, calling out bidah.

I have a link to a great article, but it would seem I am still too new to post it. It speaks of the good and bad of salafism in america, which I found was very accurate. If wanted, just PM:D

My question remains why do we call them Salfis and not just Muslims or Sunni Muslims? What is the difference of a Salfi and a Sunni..

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
My question remains why do we call them Salfis and not just Muslims or Sunni Muslims? What is the difference of a Salfi and a Sunni..
I don't honestly know brother. It seems as a tittle they themselves picked, and are proud.

I know it is actually haram, if I remember correctly, to call oneself anything other then Muslim.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
I not sure about this label , but some muslims use it to decribe some Takfiriyin (whom made some sect muslims ) or whom disagree with them are Kofar .
and their blood is halal .

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I not sure about this label , but some muslims use it to decribe some Takfiriyin (whom made some sect muslims ) or whom disagree with them are Kofar .
and their blood is halal .

What does THAT mean? :eek:

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
What does THAT mean? :eek:
Well you know some believe the blood of kufar is halal, as in it is permissible to take. Thouugh this is completly wrong. That or, the people they made takfir on is now an apostate and is to be killed.

Godobeyer is wrong too though. Being Salafi doesn't necessarily make you a takfiyin.

Pink Top Hat

Salafi is the new way of describing wahabism.

Wahabism is the Saudi ideology that is spreading all over and is the intolerant one that talks of everyone being infidels apart from them.

The reason we are hearing the word Salafi is because the Westerners and especially Saudi Arabian king does not want the real word to be used. Wahabism which is the jihadist extremism one. If we were to use the correct term Wahabism it would attract attention to saudi Arabia and the Wests connection to extremism.
They prefer to label it Salafism and therefore no one will question the link to Wahabism and then the further link then to Saudi Arabia and the support of the West for such an ideology.

It's a deceitful way to use the word Salafist when we really want to be using the word Wahabi to describe extremists.

You will not see any Western media use the real word Wahabism but here in the region the Arabs know the difference and use the correct term for extremists. Wahabis like Bin Laden. Saudi indoctrinated. 80% of the US mosques are now funded by Saudi Wahabi clerics!
Wahabsim is the extremist ideology funded by Saudi in Pakistan and Afghanistan.