• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WA To Ban Gas Vehicles

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
"electric batteries that catch fire and take 4 hours to put the fire out."
Again, what good would wearing an asbestos suit be in such a scenario? It's difficult to extract someone from a burning vehicle while the vehicle is still burning. You'd get roasted to at least medium-rare inside an asbestos suit for four hours inside a continually burning fire.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
My issues are when it isn't feasible or really even possible to charge them.
The other, the bigger one, is they tend to be so consumer unfrienslythat even many non-dealership mechanics won't work on them. Some might change the oil. They are difficult to work on, amd requiring computers amd components that are actually quite terrible as they force us to keep giving more money to the manufacturer. We don't get a choice where we go for maintenance and repairs, and the challenge for doing it yourself has been raised substantially. That must be addressed and corrected or there will be many mechanics out of a job, and people like me who would be forced to pay hundreds amd thousands extra (that we don't have) because we can't do it ourselves anymore (this is how driving rideshare has been profitable for me).

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Can you like... not use such egregiously hyperbolic language? Are you actually capable of having some nuanced criticism of anything?

Because I can think of some. I.e. right now fully electric vehicles don't work well for suburban apartment life. Not enough access to charging stations when you can't plug it into your garage. So are apartments going to be required to create charging stations or will apartment residents have to go find charging stations to spend hours at?
That's a valid criticism. 'Econazism!' Is just stupid.

Very valid, and I hope that they will be addressing some of those issues.

"The measure — called the Clean Cars 2030 initiative — was passed as an amendment made to an earlier bill that required state utilities to plan and begin preparing for greater electric vehicle adoption in the near future, requiring the state to build infrastructure such as charging stations to support the technology."

This makes me think that they are planning for it in some regard.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
My issues are when it isn't feasible or really even possible to charge them.
The other, the bigger one, is they tend to be so consumer unfrienslythat even many non-dealership mechanics won't work on them. Some might change the oil. They are difficult to work on, amd requiring computers amd components that are actually quite terrible as they force us to keep giving more money to the manufacturer. We don't get a choice where we go for maintenance and repairs, and the challenge for doing it yourself has been raised substantially. That must be addressed and corrected or there will be many mechanics out of a job, and people like me who would be forced to pay hundreds amd thousands extra (that we don't have) because we can't do it ourselves anymore (this is how driving rideshare has been profitable for me).

It appears to me that the bill only bans the sale of new gas vehicles, via the article (I couldn't get their source to pull up). So used gas cars are still a go? As are gas cars already in ownership.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Overall, I think its probably necessary. But, as a relatively un-wealthy person, it makes me nervous. When businesses know they can charge more for something, they do. And that makes it unobtainable for many less than rich people.

I'm glad to see they're working on the infrastructure as well. That's a huge problem here. For a lot of portions of the country, a car isn't a luxury, its a necessity. Many cities aren't set up for pedestrians and bikers. We have a lot of work to do if we're going to make this place more environmentally friendly. Its a move in the right direction, but we have to make sure we're examining the whole situation to make this workable for all.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It appears to me that the bill only bans the sale of new gas vehicles, via the article (I couldn't get their source to pull up). So used gas cars are still a go? As are gas cars already in ownership.
After awhile there won't really be any gas engines left to buy. They will still be the majority in a used dealership lot for awhile, but it is inevitable that as more electric cars become used, the used gas engines sell and electric engines replace them.
And, truly, I'd rather see them clean up their own act for once. Regular citizens have been doing a lot for the Earth. The Elite class? They fly in private jets to hop around different places. They take private jets to go to meetings decide the rest of us are going to have to give. And what about cruises? Those are horrible, truly terrible in so many ways, including how awful they are for the environment. Why don't we go after those?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well there were a number of militant eco groups that had formed like ELF for instance.
ELF isn't really a group. Anyone can claim membership and there is no central organization. Nothing more than individuals and groups acting on their own. And they aren't into that whole genocide and racial injustice things. They also lack a secret police.
Yes, I seriously think you need to read up on the Nazis to learn who they are, because nothing you're saying accurately reflects them. It's pretty much just as bad as everyone who claimed Trump is the next Hitler. But at least Trump did have somethings under him like forced sterilization to add weight to the claim. ELF blowing up construction equipment and oil rigs is in no way comparable.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
They are going to have to find an alternative to the electric batteries that catch fire and take 4 hours to put the fire out. Do you think they can do that before the 9 year deadline?

If it was such a flagrant problem, why don't we hear about everyone dying in norway from flaming batteries? About 10% of the entire population there drives electric cars.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
After awhile there won't really be any gas engines left to buy. They will still be the majority in a used dealership lot for awhile, but it is inevitable that as more electric cars become used, the used gas engines sell and electric engines replace them.
And, truly, I'd rather see them clean up their own act for once. Regular citizens have been doing a lot for the Earth. The Elite class? They fly in private jets to hop around different places. They take private jets to go to meetings decide the rest of us are going to have to give. And what about cruises? Those are horrible, truly terrible in so many ways, including how awful they are for the environment. Why don't we go after those?

I think one should have to apply for a flight ticket...prove you need to fly, and you're not just doing this because you don't want the inconvenience of transporting yourself through other means. I know too many people who treat flying as casually as taking an Uber. Given the horrendous carbon footprint flying has, its something that shouldn't be done unless there is no other way. (Obviously, some places can only be flown to.)

It seems like an obvious way to cut down on pollution, but of course, no one would make any money off of it. Money's what makes the world go 'round. :rolleyes: Not to mention the damper it would put on travel for the world's politicians...

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Again, what good would wearing an asbestos suit be in such a scenario? It's difficult to extract someone from a burning vehicle while the vehicle is still burning. You'd get roasted to at least medium-rare inside an asbestos suit for four hours inside a continually burning fire.
You do realize "asbestos suit" is a joke, I hope.:confused: