• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wa Dok

Wa Dok

Tea Man
My name for spiritual purposes is Wa Dok. My real name is Bill Weaver...or my assigned name at birth was Bill Weaver. My spiritual name was given to me by a workman at a local sewage treatment facility around 1992 and I liked it so much, I have adopted it, and even had a seal made with a special imprint with which I emboss letters and papers.
Most of my work life was spent examining water and its relative toxicity. I was called an aquatic toxicologist although I don't have the PhD required to actually have that title. But, I suppose, since I did work that was more pertinent to real toxicity problems than many who have the papers and did nothing, I am hoping you will accept that experience has some merit when I tell you I am an aquatic toxicologist.
I suppose I am a Ch'an/Zen Buddhist. I came to my conviction and loyalty through pain and suffering with my back, but had liked readings and minor playful gestures much longer before any real meditative or ceremonial ritual was established.
I have studied the Tea Masters and have a daily ritual of tea in the mornings. I have never performed a real tea ceremony, but have done the best I could with a thin tea gathering on several occasions. I also like many of the people who practice Nichiren Buddhism and have enjoyed some spirited debates over the merits of Zen as opposed to chanting "Nam Myoho Renge Kyo". The truth I found was that both exoteric and esoteric practices have their merit.
I have read a lot, both on the web, and from my own library, established over the last 40 years. My first Buddhist book was bought in 1968. It was Zen Flesh Zen Bones. I have even read all of Volume One of Nichiren's works and most of volume Two, although I must tell you I prefer the first volume, and think those who are devoted to this controversial man would have done better by him to have left it at his first volume, and perhaps done a better job of translating it, rather than delving into his arguements and anguish over struggles with politics and other versions of Buddhism.
I am open for any discussion with anyone of any religion. I think the spiritual quest is the most important path we follow on this earth. Chances are, if you post on this site, you feel somewhat the same.
Wa Dok

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
My name for spiritual purposes is Wa Dok. My real name is Bill Weaver...or my assigned name at birth was Bill Weaver. My spiritual name was given to me by a workman at a local sewage treatment facility around 1992 and I liked it so much, I have adopted it, and even had a seal made with a special imprint with which I emboss letters and papers.
Most of my work life was spent examining water and its relative toxicity. I was called an aquatic toxicologist although I don't have the PhD required to actually have that title. But, I suppose, since I did work that was more pertinent to real toxicity problems than many who have the papers and did nothing, I am hoping you will accept that experience has some merit when I tell you I am an aquatic toxicologist.
I suppose I am a Ch'an/Zen Buddhist. I came to my conviction and loyalty through pain and suffering with my back, but had liked readings and minor playful gestures much longer before any real meditative or ceremonial ritual was established.
I have studied the Tea Masters and have a daily ritual of tea in the mornings. I have never performed a real tea ceremony, but have done the best I could with a thin tea gathering on several occasions. I also like many of the people who practice Nichiren Buddhism and have enjoyed some spirited debates over the merits of Zen as opposed to chanting "Nam Myoho Renge Kyo". The truth I found was that both exoteric and esoteric practices have their merit.
I have read a lot, both on the web, and from my own library, established over the last 40 years. My first Buddhist book was bought in 1968. It was Zen Flesh Zen Bones. I have even read all of Volume One of Nichiren's works and most of volume Two, although I must tell you I prefer the first volume, and think those who are devoted to this controversial man would have done better by him to have left it at his first volume, and perhaps done a better job of translating it, rather than delving into his arguements and anguish over struggles with politics and other versions of Buddhism.
I am open for any discussion with anyone of any religion. I think the spiritual quest is the most important path we follow on this earth. Chances are, if you post on this site, you feel somewhat the same.
Wa Dok
Welcome, Wa Dok!

Looking forward to many intersting discussions with you in the mix.

In regards to Nichiren's writings, I am assuming you are referring to the SGI translation of Nichiren's writings. There is another set of translations that I much prefer; they are done with attention paid to current scholarship regarding which letters attributed to Nichiren can be authenticated, and which are potentially apocryphal. They are also translated from the Showa Teihon, rather than the Gosho Zenshu collection as the SGI version was.

Anyway, off my hobbyhorse for now.