• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Voter suppression. Some say how they really feel.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Georgia state senator upset over efforts to increase voter turnout in black, Democratic area - The Washington Post
Now we are to have Sunday voting at South DeKalb Mall just prior to the election. Per Jim Galloway of the AJC, this location is dominated by African American shoppers and it is near several large African American mega churches such as New Birth Missionary Baptist. Galloway also points out the Democratic Party thinks this is a wonderful idea – what a surprise. I’m sure Michelle Nunn and Jason Carter are delighted with this blatantly partisan move in DeKalb.

Is it possible church buses will be used to transport people directly to the mall since the poll will open when the mall opens? If this happens, so much for the accepted principle of separation of church and state.

I have spoken with Representative Jacobs and we will try to eliminate this election law loophole in January. Galloway summed it up, “Democrats are showing their hand on how they might boost their numbers”. For this to be called a “non-partisan opportunity” by Interim CEO is an insult!

Later in the comments of his post that he would “prefer more educated voters than a greater increase in the number of voters.”

Discuss. What do you think about these various efforts to eliminate voting days, hours, voting locations etc...?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I don't care for the insinuation that the black voter is an uneducated voter, though, I personally agree that the best vote is an educated vote.

I'm not one who takes issue with accommodation, particularly when anyone should be able to cast an early vote at the mall.

It's the party's responsibility to educate the voter and the voter's perrogative to listen, learn and give a damn.

Edit: I would think this a great opportunity to all parties to get out and educate the community. Churches should stay out of it. But, I'm not seeing anything in writing stating that churches plan to provide transportation.

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
As long as the voting site is open to all registered voters, I don't see a problem with it. We're having a similar battle here in NC; the Republican-controlled state legislature passed their "Voter ID" law, which does much more that just require ID when voting. It also reduces the time and locations for early voting, eliminates measures that allowed college students to use their school address and ID for voting, eliminates same-day registration, eliminates preregistration for students, and repeals a number of campaign and financing rules.

I love how Millar insinuates that just because there are churches in the area they will likely use church buses to provide transportation. :rolleyes:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Of course, when it comes to elections there should be no unfair advantages or disadvantages when it comes to voter opportunity, and it's of course unethical for politicians to try to manipulate and undermine the electorate. Also, a healthy democracy requires an informed electorate. It's one thing to say that it's "2 wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner", but something is really wrong when you instead have 2 sheep and a wolf voting for mutton. I don't doubt that both parties use people's ignorance to their advantage.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some news about voting....
James O
A snippet.....
The video of O’Keefe’s encounters with other operatives is equally disturbing.
He has a conversation with Greenpeace employee Christina Topping, and suggests
he might have access to unused ballots from people who have recently moved out
of college fraternity houses. “I mean it is putting the votes to good use,” she responds.
“So really, truly, like yeah, that is awesome.”

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
When you vote you get a code that you file with your income tax which allows you to escape the non-voter tax.

Then the elected officials could just keep increasing the non-voter tax and leave all the voters tax rate alone. Think of the benefits to both parties.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
More fun....
In Cook County, Vote Fraud Is Called Machine 'Calibration Error' - Investors.com
Also voting early in Illinois on Monday was Republican state representative candidate Jim Moynihan.
"While early voting at the Schaumburg Public Library today," Moynihan said, according to the website
Illinois Review, "I tried to cast a vote for myself and instead it cast a vote for my opponent." Moynihan
also noted his surprise that "the same thing happened with a number of races when I tried to vote for
a Republican and the machine registered a vote for a Democrat."

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Personally I think there should be a law and fine for not voting.:yes:

How does this make since?....I should be free to vote or to not vote.....

When you vote you get a code that you file with your income tax which allows you to escape the non-voter tax.

Then the elected officials could just keep increasing the non-voter tax and leave all the voters tax rate alone. Think of the benefits to both parties.

I actually would like a universal voter ID issued to every American citizen or anyone with legal status to vote. I'm not in favour of a "Poll Tax".....:no:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
How does this make since?....I should be free to vote or to not vote.....

I actually would like a universal voter ID issued to every American citizen or anyone with legal status to vote. I'm not in favour of a "Poll Tax".....:no:

Of course you wouldn't be you don't feel like as a citizen you should vote for you representatives. You have something better to do once a year with the half hour it takes. Its even less if you get an absentee ballet.

It should be your duty like jury duty for every citizen.

esmith

Veteran Member
Yes it is every citizens right to vote once, that is unless their voting rights have been revoked. However, there are those that walk among us that have absolutely no idea what they are voting for when they vote for a certain candidate; this includes all political persuasions. Should these people be prohibited from voting? The answer is no. However, what is wrong with insuring that everyone are who they say they are and have not already voted. Yes the number is probably small and the actual numbers can not be proven, but in all likelihood is a very small percentage. However, on the other hand one who votes illegally has committed a crime against another person in that they have nullified that persons vote. So, I have no problem with mandating a free photo state ID. I would suggest that any local police or sheriffs dept would have no problem issuing photo ID if so mandated by the state. I am sure that those activists who are against the requirement for photo ID would have no problem providing transportation for those that need transportation. This argument is nothing more than political point making.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some problems I have with this idea:
- There is no constitutional authority to compel people to vote by threat of prosecution.
- I prefer that with any public policy to effect a particular behavior, there should be no more force used than absolutely necessary.
- To encourage voting by making it easy is sufficient.
- I see no benefit in forcing people to vote when they don't want to. Do we really want such people influencing elections?
- Refusing to vote is a form of speech, ie, non-participation is comment on on the system & the candidates.

If voting did become compulsory, I'd have to resurrect my old conscientious objector status.

Last edited:

Wirey

Fartist

Greatest. Idea. Ever.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Of course you wouldn't be you don't feel like as a citizen you should vote for you representatives.

I see no problem with a person not voting. I personally think people should weigh the decisions and policies and the effect of polices carefully and make their decision before voting. Some people aren't into politics so they don't vote and some are apathetic about government so they don't see the point. Voters or non-voters do what they do for a variety of reasons. I see no reason to take that freedom from them, charge them a "poll tax" if they don't comply or any other government sanctioned participation.

You have something better to do once a year with the half hour it takes. Its even less if you get an absentee ballet.

Again, not the point. Voting should be a protected right. Participation shouldn't be required.

No it shouldn't.....:rolleyes:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Some problems I have with this idea:
- There is no constitutional authority to compel people to vote by threat of prosecution.
- I prefer that with any public policy to effect a particular behavior, there should be no more force used than absolutely necessary.
- To encourage voting by making it easy is sufficient.
- I see no benefit in forcing people to vote when they don't want to. Do we really want such people influencing elections?
- Refusing to vote is a form of speech, ie, non-participation is comment on on the system & the candidates.

If voting did become compulsory, I'd have to resurrect my old conscientious objector status.

There is no constitutional authority for jury duty. Yet they will throw you in jail.
I am not forcing anyone but if you don't want to vote there is a penalty it could be 5 dollars it could be 5 million dollars.
Again I am not forcing people to vote just encouraging them.
Everything you do is a form of free speech and I would not take that away from anyone but again there is no reason it can't cost you. You have to get a permit in many places for public speaking which can cost a fee.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is no constitutional authority for jury duty. Yet they will throw you in jail.
Are you arguing that some unconstitutional behavior justifies it in other areas?

I am not forcing anyone but if you don't want to vote there is a penalty it could be 5 dollars it could be 5 million dollars.
Sort of an inverse poll tax, eh?
Considering the flap over even requiring voter ID because it's unaffordable for the poor,
it looks politically impossible to impose a $5 or $5,000,000 fine.

Again I am not forcing people to vote just encouraging them.
Encouragement by negative sanctions has an element of force.

Everything you do is a form of free speech and I would not take that away from anyone but again there is no reason it can't cost you. You have to get a permit in many places for public speaking which can cost a fee.
And if one refuses to pay the fine, or cannot afford it?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Yes it is every citizens right to vote once, that is unless their voting rights have been revoked. However, there are those that walk among us that have absolutely no idea what they are voting for when they vote for a certain candidate; this includes all political persuasions. Should these people be prohibited from voting? The answer is no. However, what is wrong with insuring that everyone are who they say they are and have not already voted. Yes the number is probably small and the actual numbers can not be proven, but in all likelihood is a very small percentage. However, on the other hand one who votes illegally has committed a crime against another person in that they have nullified that persons vote. So, I have no problem with mandating a free photo state ID. I would suggest that any local police or sheriffs dept would have no problem issuing photo ID if so mandated by the state. I am sure that those activists who are against the requirement for photo ID would have no problem providing transportation for those that need transportation. This argument is nothing more than political point making.

Well we should start by first dispelling the myth that these efforts are about ID and preserving the voting integrity...given, by your own admission, that such fraud is low.....Tarheeler touched on that here (http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/north-american-politics/3931655-post3.html)...but these tactics aren't isolated to one state. It's happening across the country in republican controlled legislatures. It's not a new phenomenon. Mike Turzi said it straight up that (voter ID) was what was going to win Mitt the election...but it wasn't just voter ID. It was a host of other rules with that along with cutting various voting days and voting sites that are pretty much minority districts.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
I'd consider anything that costs money in order to vote an effective poll tax.

I won't be voting in Texas this go around, because I don't have a Texas Driver's License, nor do I intend on ever getting one.