• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Voter ID laws

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Mestemia,

Got me.
But there was only a reported 6% rise in voter turn out in my county bringing the total of registered voters who actually voted to 35%.

Sad really

Of course this is the exact opposite of what we were told would happen. Far from voter turnout going up, voter ID laws were supposed to suppress the turnout of poor people and minorities.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Of course this is the exact opposite of what we were told would happen. Far from voter turnout going up, voter ID laws were supposed to suppress the turnout of poor people and minorities.

Here in GA we had voter ID laws for the last couple of years, but if you'd forgotten your ID all you had to do was sign a paper and swear an oath that you were who you said you were. The only time that was an issue in our precinct was when a couple of voters who typically stop by to vote when they're out jogging hadn't brought their IDs with them.

Now the ID is mandatory and it's still not an issue.

In other precincts they would be more likely to have issues with voter ID, but the state of GA has done a very good job of making sure people are not disenfranchised because of the requirement.

There are still ways to suppress voter turnout if someone wants to. There's the classic of sending few machines to big precincts or sending the machines that are unreliable there. There's the method of placing the polls farther away from voters that are less likely to have transportation.

There are a lot of tried and true methods that are quite independent of whatever apparatus is used to record votes.

The biggest problem in our precinct is finding names of some Asians on our list, because the people doing registration at the main office don't always get the Asian custom of family name first, individual name last.

But we're used to it, so we've managed to find everyone in our registration list so far. Sometimes it just takes a moment longer.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Why would it disenfranchise voters? you ahve ID to prove you are who you say you are. I don't see a problem with that.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi rheff,

Why would it disenfranchise voters? you ahve ID to prove you are who you say you are. I don't see a problem with that.

Basically the entire Democratic Party has a problem with voter ID laws. They say that the law will disenfranchise poor and minorities. So far, they haven't come up with any evidence showing this, but just believe them, they really mean it.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Hi Booko,

So, you don't believe Voter ID laws disenfranchise voters?

It depends on how they are implemented. In principle, no I don't believe they disenfranchise voters. You have to show some form of ID to register in the first place. Um, in theory what is the issue with showing some ID when you show up to vote?

Hi rheff,
Basically the entire Democratic Party has a problem with voter ID laws. They say that the law will disenfranchise poor and minorities. So far, they haven't come up with any evidence showing this, but just believe them, they really mean it.

Basically, at best this is hyperbole.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Booko,

Basically, at best this is hyperbole.

Hyperbole by me or the Democratic Party?

I heard Howard Dean say that (of course) voter ID laws are about voter suppression and my governor vetoed legislation (if I am not mistaken) that would have passed easily under the guise that the law would suppress the votes of the poor and minorities. In fact, I haven't heard a Democratic leader say he or she was in favor of voter ID laws.