• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Voter ID laws

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Hey, I think they need to be more stringent. I'm still all for having to take a literacy test before you vote.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Hey, I think they need to be more stringent. I'm still all for having to take a literacy test before you vote.
To what end?
It would be like here in Indiana to get a DL, if you cannot read the test, either because you do not know English OR you simply cannot read, some one will read it for you.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
You don't see a problem with that? If you don't have enough of an education to read, then should you really be voting or driving a car?

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
I think literacy or other qualification requirements make for interesting discussions and debates, although I intended this thread to discuss ID laws in particular without regard to any skills.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
You don't see a problem with that? If you don't have enough of an education to read, then should you really be voting or driving a car?
I stated no opinion in regards to agreeing with it or not.
I stated the fact that it would be irrelevant because someone would read it for them.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Voter identification should be payed for by the taxpayers. As someone said earlier in this thread, the poll tax still exists - silently. The poor are least likely to have a driver's license and passport.

Fat Old Sun

We can't expect people to actually show that they are eligible to vote in order to cast their ballot. That's just unamerican! Why, Richard J. Daly the great mayor of Chicago would never stand for such nonsense.

Next thing you know, they will be trying to stop all the part time Florida residents from voting absentee up north and voting in person down here in the same election.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Voter identification should be payed for by the taxpayers. As someone said earlier in this thread, the poll tax still exists - silently. The poor are least likely to have a driver's license and passport.

And adequate transportation, and the ability to shake themselves off family responsibilities, and probably a few other things I forgot.

We have a week's advance voting in GA, which I do think has helped with some of that at least.

Booko

Deviled Hen
We can't expect people to actually show that they are eligible to vote in order to cast their ballot. That's just unamerican! Why, Richard J. Daly the great mayor of Chicago would never stand for such nonsense.

Next thing you know, they will be trying to stop all the part time Florida residents from voting absentee up north and voting in person down here in the same election.

Exactly why I don't have an issue with requiring a picture ID. My only concern is that no one be prevented from voting because they are unable to obtain one.

There's still the hole that anyone can vote absentee w/o showing ID.

Oh, and of course the homeless have no say whatsoever in our society. If you don't have an address you can't vote. Can't get welfare checks either. I guess if you are unlucky enough to find yourself homeless, you just don't count on any level.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Oh, and of course the homeless have no say whatsoever in our society. If you don't have an address you can't vote.
I like Indiana's approach to this:
If you have a non-traditional residence, you still have the right to register and vote. Simply draw a map on the voter registration applicatin indicating where you live (where you usually spend the night) and list a mailing address within your county that can be used to mail your notification that you are registered.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Indiana's approach seems to work quite well. I've never understood why a homeless person couldn't use the local soup kitchen or Salvation Army as their official address, as long as the place doesn't object to being a mail drop.

Booko

Deviled Hen
OMG you really had me confused, Mestemia.

I live in DeKalb County...except it's in GA.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Wasn't there just a primary in Indiana with this Voter ID law in place?

Where were the stories of millions of disenfranchised voters in Indiana?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Wasn't there just a primary in Indiana with this Voter ID law in place?

Where were the stories of millions of disenfranchised voters in Indiana?
Got me.
But there was only a reported 6% rise in voter turn out in my county bringing the total of registered voters who actually voted to 35%.

Sad really

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Gene,

The corporate media rarely talks about the plights of the poor.

No offense, but this is a lame copout. The notion that voter ID laws disenfranshise the poor and minorities is a talking point of the leadership of the Democratic Party. Now, we have an election where voter ID is in place and democrats are suddenly quiet on the issue. You mean to tell me that the party in control of Congress can't find evidence that voter ID disenfranchises poor people and minorities?