• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Voices

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
We all have "voices" in our head. Ego, Conscience, Parents (Family), Friends, and Memories.
Our sense of Self (Ego), our relationship to Body, our Emotional state, all of these things are tied together intricately.

What are the voices telling you? Are they Encouraging and Positive voices? Or are they Loud and Aggressive? Quiet and Demeaning? Subtle, yet Loving?

Do you Talk to yourself the same way you would Talk to a trusted Friend or Family member? Why or why not?

Orbit

I'm a planet
An interesting bit of info: In the U.S., when people hear voices, the voices tend to be threatening and frightening; in India, the same experiences are interpreted as "playful spirits" and the voices are not upsetting.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
An interesting bit of info: In the U.S., when people hear voices, the voices tend to be threatening and frightening; in India, the same experiences are interpreted as "playful spirits" and the voices are not upsetting.

I have heard that in Africa in some Cultures the voices are considered Beneficial and Friendly in Schizophrenics as well. :)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I try to encourage my voices to stop talking so much...

A lot better things going on in the surrounding world than in one's own head most of the time.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have very few voices. Either they are all a lazy bunch or have given up talking to me for whatever reasons. But I'm quite happy for it to be so.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Mine are dorment until i rouse them. "Which way do i turn here", the voices reply, "turn left" or right. They are generally correct.

Usually there is just the thinking process going on in my head, from experience* i dont consider that to be voices.

* i am an unofficial councillor for a relative who has schizophrenia and speak with him several times a day. If i heard voices in my head as he does i think I'd go mad.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I have heard that in Africa in some Cultures the voices are considered Beneficial and Friendly in Schizophrenics as well. :)

Unfortunately in other african cultures it can be seen as witchcraft and is often terminal

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
We all have "voices" in our head. Ego, Conscience, Parents (Family), Friends, and Memories.
Our sense of Self (Ego), our relationship to Body, our Emotional state, all of these things are tied together intricately.

What are the voices telling you? Are they Encouraging and Positive voices? Or are they Loud and Aggressive? Quiet and Demeaning? Subtle, yet Loving?

Mine speak a foreign language. I have no idea what they're saying.

Do you Talk to yourself the same way you would Talk to a trusted Friend or Family member? Why or why not?

I talk to myself the same way I would anyone else, perhaps a bit more snarkily, as I am one of the few who gets my humor which can occasionally come across a bit blue.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Mine speak a foreign language. I have no idea what they're saying.

I talk to myself the same way I would anyone else, perhaps a bit more snarkily, as I am one of the few who gets my humor which can occasionally come across a bit blue.

Your humour, what ive heard of it is petty damn good.

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
It is called self-talk. Mine are generally a reflection of my thinking process, which is funny because they never resolve anything. ;)