• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vodou/Voodoo/hoodoo info

Antiochian

Rationalist
My Wiccan HP practices hoodoo, and I'd like to learn a bit of it myself. I have seen a few books online, but considering how some books of the occult genre tend to be more geared towards profit than providing accurate information, I figured I'd see if anyone would particularly recommend any of these or other titles:

Sticks, Stones, Roots & Bones by Stephanie Rose Bird
Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic by Catherine Yronwode
Charms, Spells, & Formulas by Ray Malbrough
Voodoo & Hoodoo by Jim Haskins
several hoodoo spellbooks by Denise Alvarado
Hoodoo, Voodoo, and Conjure by Jeffrey E. Anderson

Books providing a decent intro to the religion itself:

Voodoo by Laennec Hurbon
Vodou Visions by Sally Ann Glassman
Voodoo in New Orleans by Robert Tallant
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Voodoo by Shannon Turlington
Voodoo Queen: The Spirited Lives of Marie Leveau by Martha Ward
A New Orleans Voudou Priestess: The Legend and Realities of Marie Leveau by Carolyn Long

Thanks! I realize books are incomplete when compared to actual exposure to teachers, but I doubt such a teacher lives near me in this rural setting. Thanks...

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
On the Hoodoo front the Yronwode book and anything by Denise Alvarado is pretty solid on whatever subject. Her forum, Planet Voodoo's Conjure Corner, is a great source of info just be respectful. A lot of people there are pretty traditional, but you will find many witches acquainting themselves with Hoodoo techniques there.

On the Vodou front I suggest you go to the actual anthropological texts before you get any of the things I see listed. If interested in New Orleans Voodoo Alvarado has many good books and info available online. There is a great thread on the forum I mentioned called "The Good The Bad and The Ugly" which reviews books about Haitian Vodou. But I strongly discourage unwise syncretisms between techniques for dealing with gods you learn in your coven and the Lwa. They have their own procedures and its disrespectful. Not to mention dangerous if you pick the wrong one, do too good of a job, and then have no clue how to "cool it down".

From one witch to another this takes a lifetime study. Take it real slow and approach with respect. And why don't you get your highpriestess to teach you? Many of the techniques in hoodoo cross with witchcraft approaches quite well. I like all the use of different dirts (of crossroads, jails, courthouses, police stations, banks, etc) to achieve different ends. Quite inspiring.

Last edited:

Elm Nehmara

Currently Muslim
For Vodou I would recommend Kenaz Filan's "The Haitian Vodou Handbook: Protocols for Riding with the Lwa." and "Vodou Shaman: The Haitian Way of Healing and Power" by Ross Heaven.

Antiochian

Rationalist
Thank you both. I've been told that Voodoo/Vodou must be learned from people, not books, but I live in an isolated setting. Is it ok/proper to worship, or make offerings to the lwa/orishas without being an initiate?

Antibush5

I bought Sticks, Stones, Roots and Bones, its all well and good until it gets into spells that involve Isis, that just freaked me out.

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
Yes but you have to know which ones and keep it mellow. Also, it is my understanding you should begin by simple honoring of your ancestors, as they are the root of all your authority in this system.

I like this guy's blog: Houngan Matt's Vodou Blog
He is a white guy but learned from a pretty orthodox mambo and doesn't pull any punches when it comes to what one should and shouldn't do to consider oneself a voudouisant. I will say regarding the above suggestions I do not like Ross Heavens book at all. Laying a Harner-style universal shamanic paradigm on an african traditional religion makes no sense to me, and his narratives from Haiti seem strangely objectifying.

atropine

Somewhere Out There
For Vodou I would recommend Kenaz Filan's "The Haitian Vodou Handbook: Protocols for Riding with the Lwa."

I recommend the first one as well. I have been studying and serving the Lwa for about two years now, and Filan's book has been a great help.

Thank you both. I've been told that Voodoo/Vodou must be learned from people, not books, but I live in an isolated setting. Is it ok/proper to worship, or make offerings to the lwa/orishas without being an initiate?

Just as an fyi, Voodoo is not Vodou. From what I understand, Vodun is the roots of Vodou that are still alive in Africa. Vodou was birthed in Haiti. Voodoo is the Americanized version that started in New Orleans. I might be wrong on the specifics, of course, but I am fairly certain of the initial statement that Voodoo and Vodou are not the same thing.

You do not have to be an initiate to work with the Lwa. Anyone who is called to serve the Lwa may serve the Lwa... not everyone in Haiti has gone through the kanzo ceremony, yet many do serve the Lwa.

Also, Orisha are not Lwa, just in case you're not aware. The Orisha belong to Santeria, which is a different path, even if there are similarities.

I do agree that people should start by honoring their ancestors... But it is also important to pay respect to Legba first as well. Legba is the Lwa that open and shuts the gates to the other Lwa; in order to work with other Lwa, you need to please Legba.