• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vodka Advice!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Last time I went all out on hard liquor was months ago, and I threw up in addition to briefly blacking out after a few shots of Chivas Regal.

This time I have a better understanding of my tolerance (which is on the low side) and the fact that I shouldn't chug an entire shot all at once. However, I'd still like advice on how to best have vodka to avoid things like throwing up or an extreme hangover.

I'll either have raspberry vodka or unflavored vodka mixed with something of my own choosing. Also not sure yet which option I'll go with.

So, any tips to have the best vodka experience? :D

rosends

First, there are tiers of vodka. There are vodkas you mix with and vodkas you can drink straight.
Second, even "regular" vodkas have flavors. Some have a hint of vanilla, some citrus. They also have a mouth feel (full, thin) and may or may not have bitterness, an alcohol-y sensation or something else. Vodka preference is very personal.
Third -- most people will expect vodka to be chilled. Not I. I prefer my vodka room temperature. Freezers can mask mediocrity by dulling everything. If your goal is to drink a shot quickly and not savor it, buy mid-level vodka, freeze the hell out of it, drink a shot and then munch on a salty snack.

You can also mix it with soda, or juice and mostly lose the vodka experience.

If you want to drink something slowly, sip by sip, appreciating the complexities and subtleties, get a bottle of Stoli Gold (which I prefer over Stoli Elite) and enjoy it.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Last time I went all out on hard liquor was months ago, and I threw up in addition to briefly blacking out after a few shots of Chivas Regal.

This time I have a better understanding of my tolerance (which is on the low side) and the fact that I shouldn't chug an entire shot all at once. However, I'd still like advice on how to best have vodka to avoid things like throwing up or an extreme hangover.

I'll either have raspberry vodka or unflavored vodka mixed with something of my own choosing. Also not sure yet which option I'll go with.

While I enjoy dirty vodka martinis, if you have a low tolerance, I would suggest a mixer.

Vodka and orange juice or cranberry juice are both pretty good and pretty popular choices.

If you like sweet drinks with a little more potency, a Black Russian (vodka and Kahlua) is pretty tasty as well.

If you like tomato juice, a Bloody Mary is also a good drink, if made correctly (I like mine with a bit of horseradish and a celery stick).

You'll have to look to another from what to do with flavored vodka. I'm a bit old school when it comes to mixers with flavored vodka.

As far as brands go, I prefer Grey Goose or Absolut, but Pinnacle is a really good vodka for the price.

Flame

Beware
A classic screwdriver with quality vodka and OJ. :D I've also mixed it with pineapple and mango juice to great success.

For vodka I normally go with Ketel One or Crystal Head.

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I prefer my martini shaken not stirred.

Vesper
IBA official cocktail

Vesper
Type
Cocktail
Primary alcohol by volume
Served Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish lemon twist
Standard drinkware chilled cocktail glass
IBA specified
ingredients
Dagger-14-plain.png

• 6 cl gin
  • 1.5 cl vodka
  • 0.75 cl Lillet Blonde
Preparation Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Add the garnish.
Timing Before dinner
Cocktail glasses are commonly used instead of Champagne goblets in modern versions of this drink. Lillet Blanc should be substituted with Cocchi Americano for a closer approximation of the original cocktail.
Dagger-14-plain.png
Vesper recipe at International Bartenders Association

Last edited:

Ellen Brown

Vodka straight? Um no.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
My advice isn't on the drink, but the leadup.
Endure you've eaten well and hydrated through the day.
Makes a big difference.

This is good advice, a lot of the symptoms of a hangover are caused by dehydration. The dizziness and headache is caused by your body drawing fluid from your equilibrium as it goes into survival mode, good hydration is key. As they say "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" so before you go to bed after a night of drinking take three aspirin and drink several large glasses of water and it will drastically lessen or eliminate a hangover.

Curious George

Veteran Member

Take b-vitamins (or eat food rich in b vitamins) stay hydrated (drinking water between drinks or at least at end of the night as you slow down).

If you can't take shots, don't. However there are plenty of mild shots that you would likely have no trouble shooting and keeping down.

Vodka redbull, and vodka cranberry are two good vodka mixed drinks if you are just using one mixer.

If you are at a bar, you might as well try White Russians and Moscow Mules.

Stay safe.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Take b-vitamins (or eat food rich in b vitamins) stay hydrated (drinking water between drinks or at least at end of the night as you slow down).

If you can't take shots, don't. However there are plenty of mild shots that you would likely have no trouble shooting and keeping down.

Vodka redbull, and vodka cranberry are two good vodka mixed drinks if you are just using one mixer.

If you are at a bar, you might as well try White Russians and Moscow Mules.

Stay safe.

On vodka red bull, don't have ten. If you do, you'll find yourself dancing to techno in some dubious club at 6.30 in the morning.

Err...I mean...so I've heard.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
First, there are tiers of vodka. There are vodkas you mix with and vodkas you can drink straight.
Second, even "regular" vodkas have flavors. Some have a hint of vanilla, some citrus. They also have a mouth feel (full, thin) and may or may not have bitterness, an alcohol-y sensation or something else. Vodka preference is very personal.
Third -- most people will expect vodka to be chilled. Not I. I prefer my vodka room temperature. Freezers can mask mediocrity by dulling everything. If your goal is to drink a shot quickly and not savor it, buy mid-level vodka, freeze the hell out of it, drink a shot and then munch on a salty snack.

You can also mix it with soda, or juice and mostly lose the vodka experience.

If you want to drink something slowly, sip by sip, appreciating the complexities and subtleties, get a bottle of Stoli Gold (which I prefer over Stoli Elite) and enjoy it.
There is really nothing to add to this except, "Well said and informative!"

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Stay hydrated and eat nutritious food with a multivitamin

There has been great advice so far. Not sure what to add. I'm jealous of people who can drink hard liquor without it ruining their lives. It always gets me into trouble.

You responsible drinkers don't know how fortunate you are.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Have something in your stomach first. Never bread though, as that soaks up the alcohol. Don't skull vodka, that will only go to your head. Have water in between to avoid a hangover. Or failing that have a drink with aniseed in it, as it will quell a sore stomach.
Also since Vodka doesn't have the "bite" of other hard liquors, be more mindful of your limitations.
I used to have it with orange juice, but cranberry is also quite tasty.

I've moved onto Scotch/Whisky and Rum myself. Vodka was during my more reckless clubbing days. Ahh memories....err at least the few I can actually remember.

Jumi

If you're going to drink vodka, don't drink too much and eat some oily/fatty foods before drinking. Oh, and stick to straight koskenkorva or absolut if you have to. ;)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Stay hydrated and eat nutritious food with a multivitamin

There has been great advice so far. Not sure what to add. I'm jealous of people who can drink hard liquor without it ruining their lives. It always gets me into trouble.

You responsible drinkers don't know how fortunate you are.
I find myself having an odd relationship with hard liquor. I feel no need to drink, unless I'm consciously thinking about it. Some weeks I'll drink every night, others I won't even notice it's absence. I sometimes worry I might be walking the precipice of addiction. Or else I'm just an emotional drinker. Not sure.