• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vocalists That Move You

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It's no secret that I'm a huge Alice In Chains fan, primarily because of how Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell worked the harmonies and octaves in their music.

But Layne has to be one of my favorite vocalists of all time because of his unique sound and style.

Here are a couple of video critiques from vocal coach Beth Roars on Layne's voice and style:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Not really Irish but this song makes me want to sing out in Irish pride regardless
I’m also quite fond of Heather Dale’s myth/folklore/religious inspired songs
And for the gamer in me “Erutan’s” rendition of this classic from Final Fantasy is a nice soothing bard retooling

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Been really into Hadestown lately. The Greek story of Orpheus and Eurydice but stylized where Hades is a wealthy baron of the great depression and hadestown is the hellish industrial complex his subjects work in, mines, boilers, factories and a huge wall ne the river Styx. Orpheus the muse-touched poet journeys to the underworld to rescue his departed fiance from Hades. Once Hades discovers him, Hades gives him the opportunity to sing one last song to try and convince him to let the two lovers go. If the song makes Hades weep, he'll have won.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It's no secret that I'm a huge Alice In Chains fan, primarily because of how Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell worked the harmonies and octaves in their music.

But Layne has to be one of my favorite vocalists of all time because of his unique sound and style.

Here are a couple of video critiques from vocal coach Beth Roars on Layne's voice and style:

You have an opinion on Mad Season?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
You have an opinion on Mad Season?

Lots of talent, but I never got into the sound. While I love Layne's vocals, they lacked the emotional charge they carried in working with Jerry (Cantrell). River of Deceit was decent, but it felt dry to me.

It was technically a talented group but it lacked the...I don't know...feeling of Alice in Chains as a group as well as Pearl Jam (Mike McCready was a member as well).

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Mostly it depends on the song...Janis Joplin's cover of Bobby McGee is by far the most emotive of those I've heard, for example. But there are some performers who usually inspire some--and sometimes, many--emotions in me. Jon Anderson of Yes (usually just makes me happy); Dan Fogelberg on his first five or so albums; Sarah MacLachlan; Jackson Browne; Joni Mitchell on a number of her songs, but especially in her later albums (late 70s and into the 90s, as her voice got more earthy)...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Rodger Daltry has a voice that is strong, hard and earthy.

Also Lucia Micarelli, wonderful voice and a unique violin style

And now back to a hard, earthy voice

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I love the voices of Joni Mitchell and Bob Dylan, but these three are a few of my favourites: