• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vive La France!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That is no longer the case, fortunately, and you also screwed up the IRA's main motive, which was to seek equality for Catholics under N.I.'s discriminatory practices. However, I certainly didn't and don't endorse their methodology.

To a much lesser extent it is still going on, still murders, still maiming, they control the NI criminal scene
The modern version of ira's goal of equality was to get rid of protestants.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
To a much lesser extent it is still going on, still murders, still maiming, they control the NI criminal scene
The modern version of ira's goal of equality was to get rid of protestants.
Sorry, but the above simply is false and even illogical as the IRA simply doesn't control NI, pluys there's a peace agreement in place, plus the attacks, as despicable as they were, were not to "get rid of Protestants". Who taught you that lie, and why is it that you don't actually cover any of the atrocities by the British controlled government and the likes of some in the Free Presbyterian Church?

More later (Monday) as I have to leave shortly.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Sorry, but the above simply is false and even illogical as the IRA simply doesn't control NI, pluys there's a peace agreement in place, plus the attacks, as despicable as they were, were not to "get rid of Protestants". Who taught you that lie, and why is it that you don't actually cover any of the atrocities by the British controlled government and the likes of some in the Free Presbyterian Church?

More later (Monday) as I have to leave shortly.

Tell the various IRAs there is a peace agreement, they are responsible for 158 murders since the Good Friday agreement. Not one catholic amongst them.

They are responsible for drug trafficking and organised crime in NI.

No lie. And i learned it by research. But feel free to accept the sanitised for noraid contribution s version if you want.

Because other terror organisations and the brit government are not relevant to the the thread. Actually he IRA aren't but shad picked up on one sentence of my comments countering stanyons statement re islamic terrorism.

metis

Tell the various IRAs there is a peace agreement, they are responsible for 158 murders since the Good Friday agreement. Not one catholic amongst them.

They are responsible for drug trafficking and organised crime in NI.

No lie. And i learned it by research. But feel free to accept the sanitised for noraid contribution s version if you want.

Because other terror organisations and the brit government are not relevant to the the thread. Actually he IRA aren't but shad picked up on one sentence of my comments countering stanyons statement re islamic terrorism.
Most of the killing still taking place is by splinter groups from the IRA. See: Irish Republican Army - Wikipedia

Secondly, to ignore the discrimination that mostly led to the Troubles is to ignore the root cause. See: The Troubles - Wikipedia

BTW, let me remind you that in our American history there were killings and property destroyed by those we tend to hold up as heroes during our Revolutionary War.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Most of the killing still taking place is by splinter groups from the IRA. See: Irish Republican Army - Wikipedia

Secondly, to ignore the discrimination that mostly led to the Troubles is to ignore the root cause. See: The Troubles - Wikipedia

BTW, let me remind you that in our American history there were killings and property destroyed by those we tend to hold up as heroes during our Revolutionary War.

First, the ira is very splintered, still with ira objectives

Who is ignoring, i think it was me who mentioned how far the mess goes back

I am not american.

Shad

Veteran Member
Revisionist history or romance?

Nope.

The troubles between catholic and protestant stared centuries before NI. In the early 1600s when Scotts and English were give land in ireland.

You mean when England conquered Ireland then trying to colonize it. The only reason there was a religious element is due to said conquest. Before the Reformation England was more fanatical Catholic than Ireland. Toss in English Protestants made it next to illegal to be a practice RCC.

Seems like your grasp on history is a finger hold.

The first ira formed in 1909 (incidentally before northern ireland was formed) to fight the war and disbanded 1922

Ergo a movement with a goal for independence from the UK namely the England part of it as the English policy towards Ireland dates by to the 12/13th centuries.

Various versions of the ira formed in 1969 (named official ira), another 1974 (irish national liberation army), another 1997 (real ira), (and several more small terrorist groups aligning themselves broadly with the larger groups)

What had their goals to do with a war that ended 50 yeas + earlier?

Yes as there is still such a thing as Northern Ireland. Ergo the goals of the movements were not met which was a untied Ireland.

The ira were catholic (and mostly still are), they killed (still do) protestants, blindly bomb killing innocents and children, destroy property, run drugs and prostitution rackets.

I never said they were not terrorists.

Their goals were not democratic but terrorist and criminal

No that was a method as talks had never worked for 7-8 centuries. Why? English policy.

Shad

Veteran Member
First, the ira is very splintered, still with ira objectives

Who is ignoring, i think it was me who mentioned how far the mess goes back

I am not american.

If you have mentioned how far the conflict between Ireland and England went you would of not stopped at the Reformation. You would be mentioning King, then prince, John. You didn't.

ChristineM

Premium Member
If you have mentioned how far the conflict between Ireland and England went you would of not stopped at the Reformation. You would be mentioning King, then prince, John. You didn't.

You want the history of violence in ireland, try googling it. I am not here to mollify your sensibilities.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Nope.

You mean when England conquered Ireland then trying to colonize it. The only reason there was a religious element is due to said conquest. Before the Reformation England was more fanatical Catholic than Ireland. Toss in English Protestants made it next to illegal to be a practice RCC.

Seems like your grasp on history is a finger hold.

Ergo a movement with a goal for independence from the UK namely the England part of it as the English policy towards Ireland dates by to the 12/13th centuries.

Yes as there is still such a thing as Northern Ireland. Ergo the goals of the movements were not met which was a untied Ireland.

I never said they were not terrorists.

No that was a method as talks had never worked for 7-8 centuries. Why? English policy.

Yup

You read what i wrote, it is quite obvious what i meant and it was not your dream.

Funny, i was thinking the same about your grasp on irish history

Ergo, democracy. Not murder and bombing

See above sentence

So you support terrorism?

So they weren't terrorist but terrorist because!!! Cool destination. Note talks failures were on both sides.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Anyway, you have both done a great job od derailing the thread. Not seen Metis do it before but common enough with Shad.

Anyone got anything that is actually relevant to the thread?

Shad

Veteran Member
Yup

You read what i wrote, it is quite obvious what i meant and it was not your dream.

Funny, i was thinking the same about your grasp on irish history

Except I clearly demonstrated the conflict between Ireland and England predate the Reformation while you merely stopped at that point.

Ergo, democracy. Not murder and bombing

Irrelevant point

See above sentence

Even more irrelvent

So you support terrorism?

No

So they weren't terrorist but terrorist because!!! Cool destination. Note talks failures were on both sides.

Never said that. I was pointing out your understanding of this conflict is so narrow as to be pointless.

Shad

Veteran Member
Anyway, you have both done a great job od derailing the thread. Not seen Metis do it before but common enough with Shad.

Anyone got anything that is actually relevant to the thread?

You brought up the IRA not I. You made a point which is false then demonstrated you know nothing about a topic you brought up. Hilarious.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Except I clearly demonstrated the conflict between Ireland and England predate the Reformation while you merely stopped at that point.

Irrelevant point

Even more irrelvent

No

Never said that. I was pointing out your understanding of this conflict is so narrow as to be pointless.

Big deal, i said the troubles went back to the first settlers

So murder and bombing id irrelevant?

Bull, ive lived through some of it .other than donating to noraid, have you?

ChristineM

Premium Member
You brought up the IRA not I. You made a point which is false then demonstrated you know nothing about a topic you brought up. Hilarious.

I brought up the Manchester bombing which was relevant to the question? Since then you have been your usual petty self

Shad

Veteran Member
Big deal, i said the troubles went back to the first settlers

Except it didn't. It went back to the Norman conquest of England.

So murder and bombing id irrelevant?

No just your assumption that I am talking about terrorism in general. I am talking about goals not methods.

Bull, ive lived through some of it .other than donating to noraid, have you?

Your perception and experience has clouded your views.

I brought up the Manchester bombing which was relevant to the question? Since then you have been your usual petty self

Except you ignored the ideological differences and treated it as the same when it never was.

metis

Im a brit, and yes, plenty of violence, a fair proportion of it committed by the ira
As for me, I have never condoned offensive violence that hurts innocents whether it be done by the IRA or any Irish group, you Brits, us Americans, or any other country.