• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Visualizing numbers in colors and shapes

Cooky

Veteran Member
I don't understand how somebody can visualize numbers as shapes, colors and images... what kind of extrasensory ability allows someone to do this, and to what extent can the human mind take it?

Daniel Tammet

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
...He speaks about the "intuitive" nature of an Icelandic word. Has anyone here ever breezed through a thread and then use a specific, rare word, and then you go to another thread, of a similar topic, and see that someone else has used that exact word from their imagination in a similar thought.

Let's explore this if we can.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have this. Numbers are all coloured for me, as are centuries, and the centuries follow the same colour scheme as the regular numbers. So for instance, '3' is always red to me, as is the year '1300'; '5' is always dark green, as is the year '1500' etc. It's not something I even noticed really until someone brought it up.

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
I have this. Numbers are all coloured for me; as are centuries and the centuries follow the same colour scheme as the regular numbers. So for instance, '3' is always red to me, as is the year '1300'; '5' is always dark green, as is the year '1500' etc. It's not something I even noticed really until someone brought it up.

Fascinating..!

Cooky

Veteran Member

Would you agree that synesthesia is a special kind of "sense" that others don't have?

...Like a real-life X-man.
20200819_131004.jpg

Last edited:

Onoma

We use these concepts with things like " stoplight " color coding where a color is associated with a magnitude, I've personally done this with tables of data

I think that due to brain plasticity, anyone can train themselves to use similar concepts to the experiences of someone with synesthesia

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Would you agree that synesthesia is a special kind of "sense" that others don't have?

...Like a real-life X-man.
View attachment 42122
It's not a sense because the numbers don't have colors.
Note that different synesthetes will have different associations.
It's an association made in their brain....a cross wiring of sorts.

Cooky

Veteran Member
It's not a sense because the numbers don't have colors.
Note that different synesthetes will have different associations.
It's an association made in their brain....a cross wiring of sorts.
It's not a sense because it's not like vision, smell etc. It's a scramble in the brain that causes objects to appear to have colors they don't really have.

But also being a Savant, makes his abilities doubly impressive.

I think being a savant, and having an "island" of extraordinary abilities can be a kind of sense.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I have this. Numbers are all coloured for me, as are centuries, and the centuries follow the same colour scheme as the regular numbers. So for instance, '3' is always red to me, as is the year '1300'; '5' is always dark green, as is the year '1500' etc. It's not something I even noticed really until someone brought it up.
Me too, although all the associations are different.
Letters also.
2 is a warm yellow, like Y. 1 is white, 2(and the 20s, tinged by the other number) are yellow. 3 is black, 4 is a greener yellow....
Similarly, A is yellow. B is blue. C is red. O is an oddity, sort of colorless. More like an outline than a color. U is a weird purplish pink.

I too didn't realize that everyone didn't see words and do basic arithmetic by remembering the color patterns until I was at least a teenager.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I habitually spell grey with an E, because gray gets a sickly yellow tinge from the A. E leaves grey a clear cool word because E is black.
Tom

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Everything you perceive is an abstraction assembled in your mind from essentially identical neuronal impulses. Nothing is as you perceive it. It's all an illusion.

What's really remarkable isn't that the brain sometimes fails to keeps things sorted, but the fact that most of the time it's able to accomplish this sorting at all, and that people generally perceive roughly the same collective hallucination.
Consciousness: How Can I Experience Things That Aren’t ‘Real’?
Is Consciousness an Illusion?