• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Visit to the local Gurdwara

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The 4 people who live in this house, after putting it off for some time, finally made it to the local gurdwara today. I'd been before, but not for langar (free food). We sat for a bit, joined in standing, and then prostrating alongside others, then made the round around the holy book at the front altar.

I'm struck by the silence and the separation physically that people make. Each person stands in their own spot, some distance from all others. I really liked that, and the silence. This was my second time going. But I really appreciate the silence and the individuality, just as in my sect of Hinduism. It's just you and God.

Then we went downstairs for langar. Same sort of thing ... get you food, then go eat alone in silence, being grateful for what God has given you on that day. Totally run by volunteers, the 2 established gurdwaras within 10 minutes of my place serve the free meals from 6AM until 11PM. A woman shared with my wife that is does get busier on weekends. But it's very much ... go in, do your thing, then leave. perhaps there are more organised group sessions at other times, I don't know.

Food was excellent, serenity was as well.

Aum to my Sikh brothers and sisters.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. get you food, then go eat alone in silence, being grateful for what God has given you on that day.
Food was excellent, serenity was as well. Aum to my Sikh brothers and sisters.
It is not like that in India. Langar is a happy joyous occasion with hundreds or even thousands partaking their food together seated in lines, chatting, civil suppressed laughter at times. Though I understand the idea behind it, I do not like to spread my hands before anyone for food, as the Sikhs do. Being an atheist, I do not believe in any God provides me my food (Edited: It was my mother at one time, and now, my wife who provides food even to my mother).
Annapoornas, you know!

Otherwise going to a gurudwara is always a pleasure and the 'kadha prasad' is tasty. Sri Guru Nanak Saheb Ji explained the Upanishadic wisdom to Punjabis.

D873JHUVsAAkCcb-770x433.jpeg
Tandoori Roti here.
gurudwaras-in-punjab-are-serving-burgers-for-langar-1400x653-1573219051_1100x513.jpg

Tawa roti, but all with Ghee.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It is not like that in India. Langar is a happy joyous occasion with hundreds or even thousands partaking their food together seated in lines, chatting, civil suppressed laughter at times. Though I understand the idea behind it, I do not like to spread my hands before anyone for food, as the Sikhs do. Being an atheist, I do not believe in any God providing me my food.

Otherwise going to a gurudwara is always a pleasure and the 'kadha prasad' is tasty. Sri Guru Nanak Saheb Ji explained the Upanishadic wisdom to Punjabis.

D873JHUVsAAkCcb-770x433.jpeg
Tandoori Roti here.
gurudwaras-in-punjab-are-serving-burgers-for-langar-1400x653-1573219051_1100x513.jpg

Tawa roti, but all with Ghee.
Maybe it was the size of the crowd, time of day, and our own language barrier. Could well be.