• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Visions

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
are visions nothing more than dreams, or thoughts, that are occuring in the person's(prophet's) mind that are either inspiring? tempting? threatening?

like the last temptation of siddhartha when he was tempted by mara?

or

like the temptations of jesus in the desert?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The temptation in Buddhism know as Mara is the attachments within us, and what Buddha experienced was the last remains of tiny temptation that might have been within him, and when he overcome this he was no longer bound to any physical experiances that could be thrown at him. He was free from the Human realm.

Mara is not a person as they see the Devil in the bible.
Mara is the personification of temptation. meaning when one have let go of the attachments to temptation nothing can tempt the person to be lured in to something wicced

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The temptation in Buddhism know as Mara is the attachments within us, and what Buddha experienced was the last remains of tiny temptation that might have been within him, and when he overcome this he was no longer bound to any physical experiances that could be thrown at him. He was free from the Human realm.

Mara is not a person as they see the Devil in the bible.
Mara is the personification of temptation. meaning when one have let go of the attachments to temptation nothing can tempt the person to be lured in to something wicced

in dualism divine and demonic things are usually seen by the observer as something separate, disconnected from self.

in monism everything is seen within self.

jesus said the kingdom of god, of love, comes from within

Luke 17:21
Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

if then this is true, the kingdom of hell is within you too.

Matthew 6:23
But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

what we wear, buddhist, hindu, christian, atheist, doesn't determine how we will generally behave. the clothes do not make the man.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
are visions nothing more than dreams, or thoughts, that are occuring in the person's(prophet's) mind that are either inspiring? tempting? threatening?

or

I tend to think of visions as the realm of the mind. Reflections of personalities and experiences. Moon in a dewdrop

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

or

I've seen a burning bush and fairies dancing on the grass while wide awake and fully conscious of what was going on . I suspect this was part optical illusion, like a mirage and part the subconscious mind filling in non-existent details.

The subconscious mind fills in details for us all of the time, like when you see people or object in the clouds. Generally you are conscious of this but sometimes the subconscious mind can take you by surprise. This has been tested a lot.

Visual Illusions: When What You See Is... Not What's There? | Science Buddies Blog

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I've seen a burning bush and fairies dancing on the grass while wide awake and fully conscious of what was going on . I suspect this was part optical illusion, like a mirage and part the subconscious mind filling in non-existent details.

The subconscious mind fills in details for us all of the time, like when you see people or object in the clouds. Generally you are conscious of this but sometimes the subconscious mind can take you by surprise. This has been tested a lot.

Visual Illusions: When What You See Is... Not What's There? | Science Buddies Blog

i'm speaking more along the idea of what is seen with the mind's(spirit's) eye and not what is outside/apart from self. see or understand? one who doesn't see is in the dark and one who does see is in the light(know).

24054246-cartoon-man-with-a-question-mark-and-a-light-bulb-over-his-head.jpg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Although the term vision is associated with sight, just by the term itself, in mysticism it can involve the other five senses, or so-called sixth sense.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
i'm speaking more along the idea of what is seen with the mind's(spirit's) eye and not what is outside/apart from self. see or understand? one who doesn't see is in the dark and one who does see is in the light(know).

24054246-cartoon-man-with-a-question-mark-and-a-light-bulb-over-his-head.jpg

You're assuming these "temptations" did not have some external component.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

or

I think yes, they are not unlike day-dreams. I had a brief vision once, which I thought of as assembling new information in new ways.

The mind works in mysterious ways.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You're assuming these "temptations" did not have some external component.

“Books don't offer real escape, but they can stop a mind scratching itself raw.”

― David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

External things can be a distraction, yes, or trigger. But ultimately the mind makes itself up.

Can you feel it? Wormng its way through your brain? Like a bookworm through a book itself. Self-consuming, self-perpetuating, self-contained. The venture is inward. Unseal the book

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Love invariably and eventually drives us,................theia mania, divine liberation, and becoming.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

or

specifically ......visions? that I might consider......tempting

are visions nothing more than dreams,...

I think visions are different thing than dreams, for example because one could see a vision in a dream:

In Gibeon Yahweh appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, Ask what I shall give you.
1 Kings 3:5

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I think visions are different thing than dreams, for example because one could see a vision in a dream:

In Gibeon Yahweh appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, Ask what I shall give you.
1 Kings 3:5

actually one is a sleep dream and the other is a waking dream, dreams = visions

"In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence.

or

Its not on me to explain the thoughts or visions of others. They should really dig deeper. (Meditation or what have you)

Has anyone considered this TED talk?

Why eyewitnesses get it wrong