• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Viruses Are So Great, Aren't They?

Euronymous

SSilence
Man, aren't viruses great? Damaged my computer to the point to where it can't even boot up anymore. But, hey, at least I can still kinda post on mobile, I guess.

Srivijaya

A much fun as a hard drive failure, which I had last week on one of mine. Upgraded to a better hard drive though and now its way faster. 'Just' managed to backup everything before it finally died (phew).

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
My computer overheated and died a few weeks ago. I did leave it on for about a week mining cryptocurrency while I was on a business trip though, so that one's on me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There are two types of people:

1. Those who have experienced massive data loss due to computer failure.
2. Those about to.
3. Those who take extensive precautions to avoid data loss.

My data is in a DOS box not connected to the internet.
It has 2 hard drives, each a mirror of the other.
Each hard drive has 2 data & program duplications.
And the data & programs are stored off site in multiple locations.
I regularly test data integrity, saving & restoration.
Security is provided by BOS, an obscure British operating system.
Only 2 people in the state know how to use it.

Because s**t has gone wrong before.
Nuthin I want to relive.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
so.....I've had a couple of laptops go down on me....

and they died altogether

any chance of a resurrection?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
3. Those who take extensive precautions to avoid data loss.

My data is in a DOS box not connected to the internet.
It has 2 hard drives, each a mirror of the other.
Each hard drive has 2 data duplications.
And the date is stored off site in multiple locations.
I regularly test data integrity, saving & restoration.
Security is provided by BOS, an obscure British operating system.
Only 2 people in the state know how to use it.

Because s**t has gone wrong before.
Nuthin I want to relive.

Yep. Multiple, independent backups. Stored in different locations.

And when you go through a significant data failure, you *don't* want it to happen again. BTDT

Thief

Rogue Theologian
You might be able to pull the hard drives and retrieve the data...even boot a different computer from them.
sooooo....and bear in mind I am not tech savy.....

I pull the disc from what I got...
stuff it into place in another laptop.....
say a prayer
push the button

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
sooooo....and bear in mind I am not tech savy.....

I pull the disc from what I got...
stuff it into place in another laptop.....
say a prayer
push the button

That's the basic idea. You might have to adjust things in Setup to boot from the new drive. And remove other drives. If the drive doesn't connect in the new computer, don't force it. And don't jump from a PC to a Mac or anything like that.

If you are nervous, get a tech savvy friend to help.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That's the basic idea. You might have to adjust things in Setup to boot from the new drive. And remove other drives. If the drive doesn't connect in the new computer, don't force it. And don't jump from a PC to a Mac or anything like that.

If you are nervous, get a tech savvy friend to help.
how about....two laptops of different makers.....
switch the discs....
and push the button

Toshiba vs HP.....?

Jumi

Most often viruses don't damage the computer hardware. A computer savvy guy can probably fix your computer by putting in a new operating system. You could also opt to get one on an USB stick and boot from there.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There are two types of people:

1. Those who have experienced massive data loss due to computer failure.
2. Those about to.
3. Those that have been burned badly or learned from others and have multiple backups including local and cloud.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
how about....two laptops of different makers.....
switch the discs....
and push the button

Toshiba vs HP.....?

The biggest issue here is whether there actually was a virus involved, a hard drive failure, a power supply failure, or what. If there is a virus on the drive, it will exist when you boot in another computer If it is a power supply issue, there is no problem. If the hard drive itself is the problem, then nothing easy can be done.

You said the computer won't turn on. Does that mean it does *nothing* when you press the On button? or does it start to boot, but not finish? does the monitor come on at all? If you have spinning hard drives, do you hear them spin up?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The biggest issue here is whether there actually was a virus involved, a hard drive failure, a power supply failure, or what. If there is a virus on the drive, it will exist when you boot in another computer If it is a power supply issue, there is no problem. If the hard drive itself is the problem, then nothing easy can be done.

You said the computer won't turn on. Does that mean it does *nothing* when you press the On button? or does it start to boot, but not finish? does the monitor come on at all? If you have spinning hard drives, do you hear them spin up?
the two that have died.....do nothing
altogether nothing

I took one back to where I bought it
they said the same thing
no power at all