• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virtually Everyone is an Atheist in this Day and Age

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I could always just make this a lot simpler and take the same stance as atheists;

I hereby label myself an a-naturalist.
My a-naturalism only speaks to my lack of naturalism

I make no claim, no positive assertion that needs backed up with arguments, logic or evidence, I simply reject your unsupported belief that
there will ultimately be a natural explanation

The burden of proof is all yours.
And until you provide proof for this hypothetical natural explanation, the obvious alternative may be assumed correct by default!

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
I could always just make this a lot simpler and take the same stance as atheists;

I make no claim, no positive assertion that needs backed up with arguments, logic or evidence, I simply reject your unsupported belief that

And until you provide proof for this hypothetical natural explanation, the obvious alternative may be assumed correct by default!
Haha... that is so good! Your arguments are good .. I sahll have to remember that one :D ''a-naturalist''

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Haha... that is so good! Your arguments are good .. I sahll have to remember that one :D ''a-naturalist''

well I'd like to take credit, but that 'default assumption' used to by my position as an atheist, until it was pointed out to me that there is no such thing- we all believe something, and simply labeling what we don't believe doesn't change that. must go, Cheers!

gsa

Yes I am familiar with Linde's take on that, he is usually a little tongue-in-cheek about it, but even that slight possibility... well what are the odds? e.g. if they are a trillion to one, this could easily be far less improbable than complete fluke, and does not preclude the common conception of God at all. There are several studies, at Bonn for one, seriously investigating direct signs of intelligent coding in the fabric of our universe- things like specific digital resolutions to space/time, data compression algorithms that reflect our own techniques etc.

Just as atheism eventually morphed to accommodate the primeval atom it once mocked
, 'OK so maybe there WAS a creation event, just not a deliberate one'

we are beginning to the signs of ID being eventually accommodated likewise
'OK so maybe it WAS intelligently designed, just not by God'

atheism of the gaps again ?

we are the only beings we know of that are sentient, aware of, capable of exploring and appreciating creation, and hence giving thanks and sharing love with it's creator- is this in any way inconsistent with our being it's primary intended beneficiaries?! We have an ear on an entire galaxy and hear nothing but deafening silence. Puzzling? remember Lemaitre was right, the universe DID develop from a tiny seed, a literal self extracting archive of information..

why create a small 'Truman show'/ Copernican world where we soon bump up against the wall- when for the same 'price' you can have a wondrous awe inspiring cosmos to explore. i.e, to me the former would be far more consistent with an unintended fluke, than the latter

well the jury is still out on that, but regardless-
appreciating creation is all about learning, investigating, progressing, stripping the layers one by one, having our curiosity and ingenuity tested to it's limits, drawing us out and beyond ourselves and our planet. The world acheives this balance incredibly well, as we might expect from a good design. Again without God, this would have to be chalked up to yet one more staggering coincidence.

because of love, the ultimate motive and hence power of explanation for the universe existing at all. You cannot have good without bad, we must know both and choose good, choose love. That's the point of free will. You cannot force somebody to love you, or it's not love is it?

Why is the possibility Linde suggests slight? There seems to me to be no particularly good reason for favoring the Deity hypothesis over this one, and no real way of estimating the probability of either, although I suppose the pocket universe explanation does have some theoretical foundation that the former lacks.

There is also the problem of attribution. Such a God could exist, as you posit, without creating us intentionally. Even if we conceded the cosmological argument, for example, it is not necessarily an argument for human life. Perhaps God fine tuned the universe for dolphins, perhaps for a different, alien intelligence that exists in another corner of the galaxy or in a different galaxy altogether. Maybe the particular intelligence God wanted to create was created and fulfilled its purpose, and now the universe is totally without purpose. I mean, there’s an awful lot of space out there, where presumably there are other planets that are capable of supporting life. And if there are not, it is puzzling that an omnipotent God would create that vast canvass instead of adopting the pre-Copernican model, if we are the intended end result.

I have no idea why books like the Bible would play any role. Language itself is fairly new, and whatever influence those books have had, it is still a relatively new development in the collective timeline of our species.

Concerning other species: Actually, we are not really the only beings so capable of the things you describe. There are a host of others (primates, cetaceans, cephalopods, etc). Granted, they do not have human sentience, human awareness, human capabilities of exploration and the (entirely subjective and ill-defined) appreciation of “creation.” We really have no idea if they have religious sensibilities, although we do have strong evidence that the Neanderthals did, in fact, have some religious sensibility, based on ritual burial practices, including possible evidence of secondary burial.

Concerning extraterrestrial intelligence: I am not as bothered by the “deafening silence” as you are. The fact of the matter is that the time and space scales are simply vast and enormous, and our failure to detect radio signals is entirely understandable, particularly given the relative youth of our own radio technology and the possibility, if not probability, that the technology passes out of use over time and is supplanted by other communication technology that does not illuminate the cosmos. After all, if light speed is the true limit and cannot be easily circumvented or circumvented at all, we would anticipate these signals to reach us perhaps long after the civilization that sent them had disappeared, or for our own signals to reach distant civilizations only thousands to millions of years into the future, if at all. A signal that passed us by in 1000 C.E. would have been unnoticed, for example, but a thousand years later it might have been successful.

And beyond that, you have to be looking for signals in order to find them if they are out there, which has only recently been the case for humans. Moreover, this assumes that the signals would be intelligible to humans, which is quite an assumption given that the operation of natural selection in a wholly alien environment is unlikely to produce little grey men or humans with forehead ridges a la Star Trek. If you want to see truly alien aliens and the problems that humans encounter when attempting to communicate with them, I highly recommend Stainslaw Lem. Beyond even Lem, there is also the possibility of non-carbon based life in this solar system or elsewhere, which would compound the communication problems.

If “appreciating creation is all about learning, investigating, progressing, stripping the layers one by one, having our curiosity and ingenuity tested to it’s limits, drawing us out and beyond ourselves and our planet,” then it is safe to say that the existing religious traditions have not been about appreciating creation, since by and large they act to discourage all of what you have described. Oh sure there have been exceptions to this, but the exceptions simply serve to highlight the rule, which is resistance to anything that undermines creedal dogmas.

There is also no evidence that humans were designed. That does not mean that they were not designed, it just means that there is no empirical basis for believing it to be true, as opposed to a subjective experiential basis, or even an inter-subjective experiential basis a la Christian or Islamic revelation. Now there are certainly things we do not understand about the evolutionary process, and the effects of certain constraints on evolution, but attributing these things to supernatural intervention is to simply posit the god of the gaps. There are also problems with the cosmological argument, but even if we accept that there is a cosmic creator or at least a creative intelligence that orders the cosmos, we have insufficient evidence to justify a belief that it is responsible for designing humanity. Even if I am wrong, however, and there is evidence of design, it is certainly not evidence of the design discussed in the traditional religious traditions, which denies theistic evolution as much as it denies natural selection.

Finally, concerning morality: Again, we find the problem of attribution. There is absolutely no basis for concluding that this entity would be a person, let alone a person with the attributes of human beings. I do not know why love should be the ultimate motive of any such creative intelligence. Moreover, your reply is non-responsive: I highlighted a number of possible transgressions that could just as easily substitute traditional morality, some of which (i.e., vegetarianism and environmentalism) would make much more sense given what we know about the impact of humanity on this planet, others (i.e., the sneeze that triggers the tsunami) which would explain penalties for seemingly innocuous behavior in a meaningful way. The moral codes of the Abrahamic religions, by contrast, seem to be designed to accommodate beliefs and practices typical of a certain period and locale, not indicative of any transcendent morality.

Keep in mind, I am not, strictly speaking, an atheist, any more than the early Christians were with respect to Zeus (although perhaps more so; they might have thought he was a demon or something). I am atheistic with respect to the traditional conceptions of God you are defending here though, and for good reason.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Why is the possibility Linde suggests slight?
I'm saying Linde's speculation alone is far more probable than chance- even if it were slight, and that's just one of many ID possibilities. In order to distance this idea from most common definitions of God, you'd have to remove most common logical extensions of a creator-
that they didn't care, didn't reserve the ability to observe/take an interest- and did it all for no particular reason, no expectations/plans for humanity etc etc. Not impossible, but not particularly logical either.
There is also the problem of course that this would not explain the universe in it's largest definition, only expand that definition

There is also the problem of attribution.
we did this, we're the only intelligent species we are aware of in the universe.
I have no idea why books like the Bible would play any role. Language itself is fairly new, and whatever influence those books have had, it is still a relatively new development in the collective timeline of our species.
there is no other book like the bible, it shaped modern civilization at it's most crucial turning point.
Concerning other species:
what does your dog think about all this?
We are the only species we know of that do this.

Concerning extraterrestrial intelligence:

the galaxy is billions of years old, yet only 100KLY across, i.e. the distance is irrelevant, because it's all had more than enough time to develop and transmit radio waves.
So since we are listening to an entire time slice of a 'mature' galaxy, the odds of scoring a 'hit' are exactly the same as listening to the entire galaxy simultaneously right?... and nada..

other forms of life and communication'

is great for a star trek episode, in reality the universe is made of the same 'stuff' we have right here in this solar system, it's not all that alien, what makes Earth special is the extraordinarily improbable arrangement and balance of our solar system and planet within that larger framework- which are specific and crucial to life on Earth.

It's difficult to say definitively that life couldn't possibly exist using entirely different configurations of the same materials, similarly perhaps we could dismantle and reassemble a 747 in some totally unrecognizable form using the exact same parts, which still flies people around the world. but it's hardly a safe assumption?

resistance to anything that undermines creedal dogmas.
remind me who was right, Lemaitre or Hoyle? which dogma ridiculed and resisted the greatest scientific discovery of all time, atheist or theist?
even if we accept that there is a cosmic creator or at least a creative intelligence that orders the cosmos, we have insufficient evidence to justify a belief that it is responsible for designing humanity.
once again.. we are the only means we know, by which that creation is able to ponder , explore, appreciate itself and give thanks to it's creator.... there is insufficient evidence to controvert the obvious logic of this and claim this was entirely accidental.
If gambler is dealt 10 royal flushes in a row, and you have no evidence of cheating, why do you still suspect cheating? it's about power of explanation, not direct empirical evidence

Finally, concerning morality:

This is the exact same question once again put another way, and the answer has not changed.
We are the universe's only sentient being we are aware exists. What would motivate an intelligent creator, to create intelligence... that he could not relate to?! Made in his image is a logical extension of being created by him as the primary beneficiaries of that creation. Love is the ultimate motive because that's ultimately what is achieved, the actual product of creation. The environment is merely a part of that creation, one of many means to that end, you see?

without motive, purpose, intent, desire, we are left only with chance, which can never possess the unique power of explanation that creative intelligence does

Keep in mind, I am not, strictly speaking, an atheist,

similarly I speak first and foremost as a skeptic of atheism, whatever hypothetical naturalistic mechanisms may be posited to have created the universe, I am skeptical of one more than the atheist

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
It proves we all believe in something, we are all curious and intelligent enough to ponder the meaning of life, and to come to one conclusion or the other. we all want to know the truth.

we have no reference for how universes are 'usually' created, we have to start with a blank page, there is no 'default assumption' which escapes the burden of proof.

that's what I'm calling blind faith, not recognizing that you have faith- or 'I'm right by default until you prove your belief'.

It would seem, then, that I am right by default, until someone proves their belief, because I do not assume any particular belief concerning the reason the universe exists (and in fact, I do not assume that the universe actually exists in the first place....). So apparently, the agnostic position is actually what you're arguing for, that we should not hold a belief until there is absolute, ironclad proof...:D

gsa

the galaxy is billions of years old, yet only 100KLY across, i.e. the distance is irrelevant, because it's all had more than enough time to develop and transmit radio waves.
So since we are listening to an entire time slice of a 'mature' galaxy, the odds of scoring a 'hit' are exactly the same as listening to the entire galaxy simulataneously... and nada..

Actually the space is relevant, and it is relevant not only because of the vast distances but also because of the vast time scales. Intelligent life can arise, flourish, and pass away, presumably within a short frame of time. Yet this can be at any point within a timescale of billions of years. So let us suppose that a civilization came into being, in this galaxy, a million years ago, and sent out a massive number of radiowaves, and passed from this universe a mere 300,000 years ago. There is no reason to believe that we could detect the radio signals today.

Keep in mind, using the search technology employed by SETI, most advanced civilizations would not pick up signals from Earth that were not intended to reach across the gulf of space in an effort to contact alien civilizations; there are but a handful of such signals that have been sent (which SETI describes on its website if you are interested). The probability of two way communication and one way communication is actually quite low, even assuming a relatively large number of civilizations.

'other forms of life and communication' is great for a star trek episode, in reality the universe is made of the same 'stuff' we have right here in this solar system, it's not all that alien, what makes Earth special is the extraodinarily improbable arrangment and balance of our solar system within that larger framework- which are specific and crucial to life on Earth.

Well the problem with this is that you have a single example, which is why the Drake equation is also fairly useless, which also calls into question the Fermi Paradox. After all, the Drake equation hopes to discover the number of civilizations that are sophisticated enough to detect radio signals, and is a function of seven factors, for which we have wholly speculative values for four of the most important ones.

Also, this makes very significant assumptions about what is required for life to develop, including intelligent life. There is also no reason to suppose that human life should arise when it did using this model; after all, humans are very late to the game. The first mammals emerged what, over two hundred million years ago? This is clearly not the traditional narrative of Genesis or really any creation account.

Let us be clear: If you condense the timeline of the universe into a year, using the cosmic calendar, you have anatomically modern humans emerging on December 31, at about 11:54 pm, a few minutes before the ball drops. Just two days after the dinosaurs are wiped out. The oldest known form of life only appears in September of that calendar. If humans are the purpose of this universe, it seems quite complicated in terms of its scales (both temporal and spatial), and it is relatively easy to imagine that the process could be accelerated to allow humans to emerge much earlier in the cosmic calendar, a la Genesis or other traditional accounts.

It's difficult to say definitevely that life couldn't possible exist using entirely different configurations of the same materials, similarly perhaps we could dismantle and reassemble a 747 in some totally unrecognizable form using the exact same parts, which still flies people around the world. but it's hardly a safe assumption?

Quite different from the latter argument, because we are talking about a different biochemistry altogether, not to mention that there is no reason to suppose any kind of part limitation the way that you have postulated here. Moreover, this is an area that has been explored by scientists and science fiction authors alike, sometimes both simultaneously. It would result in a radically different form of life, which would simply make communication even more difficult. But communication with carbon-based life forms on Earth is already sufficiently difficult to suggest that even carbon-based lifeforms from other planets would find it extraordinarily difficult to communicate with human beings.

remind me who was right, Lemaitre or Hoyle? which dogma ridiculed and resisted the greatest scientific discovery of all time, atheist or theist?

I do not know why anyone would bring up Lemaitre to suggest that the Big Bang cosmology lends support to religious dogma, since he himself denied that. Moreover, this is a game that can be played and will not result in theists having a proportionate share in the fruits of scientific research, at least relative to their numbers in the general population. Theistic scientists are also rarely traditional in their beliefs, which is to be expected. Albert Einstein was, at best, an agnostic pantheist who rejected belief in a personal God, to cite but one example. Many of the more prominent examples of believing scientists today are hardly examples of traditional religious belief.

However, whatever the merits of individuals, we are concerned here with institutions and traditions, which have been on the whole hostile. Lemaitre is notable because he is unusual, not because he is par for the course. Hoyle is, similarly, an outlier on the design argument. When we turn to the historical relationship between scientific advancement and the religious traditions, we are far more likely to encounter hostility or retreat than embrace. In fact the acceptance of the Big Bang is somewhat laughable, since it flies in the face of the equally important matter of the age of the universe, which traditionally is much, much younger than the fruits of modern scientific discovery have revealed.

once again.. we are the only means we know, by which that creation is able to ponder , explore, appreciate itself and give thanks to it's creator.... there is insufficient evidence to controvert the obvious logic of this and claim this was entirely accidental.
If gambler is dealt 10 royal flushed in a row, why do you suspect cheating?

Why do you suppose that this is significant? Or even true? As I pointed out, the fact that cetacean, cephalopod and primate intelligence is alien does not demonstrate it is incapable of these things, it just makes it difficult for an alien intelligence to understand their perspective.

I think that the primary problem with your argument is that you assume that different or distinct is equivalent to better or advanced, suggesting either elevation or linear progression. But I see no reason to suppose that is the case. Moreover, the belief in the God of monotheism, were it so ingrained and intertwined with our intelligence and consciousness as you suggest, should have emerged much earlier than it did. While we have some evidence of ancient ritual practices in modern humans and earlier ancestors, monotheism emerges very, very late, probably right around the time of the redaction of the Hebrew scriptures. If anything, animism is the dominant religious practice of modern humans, based on the (pre-)historical record.

I also think that it is beyond reasonable dispute that the revealed religions are impossible to discern from nature. There’s no reason to suppose that your hypothetical God of Love would leave humans without the ability to discern His existence in the absence of revelation, but this is what both Christianity and Islam presuppose. Which is why I spend so much time discussing the likely attributes of God based on nature (an argument that the texts of both religions also embraced before their architects realized how incompatible nature was with their religious beliefs). What emerges from this speculative exercise is simply not the God of religious traditionalism. This also explains why religious liberals, modernists and moderates must reinterpret their traditions to accommodate subsequent scientific and moral developments that do not square with the Near East taboos and cosmology.

I will not further discuss morality because I do not think we are capable of discussing it, in light of your presuppositions about the nature of your God.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Fair enough. Makes sense, to some degree.

there will ultimately be a natural explanation

Cool. Fair enough. I would imagine that anyone who believes in original Creation by a supernatural Creator falls into this bucket, regardless of how said supernatural Creator works in detail.

I'm not asking anyone to prove anything, to be honest. I simply wouldn't change my mind without reason. Why you should care whether I'm going to change my mind would be entirely up to you.

Oooh...right up to here you avoided strawmen.
So my claim in relation to creation of the universe was 'Buggered if I know'. You pushed for a black and white choice, so based on that, I gave a response in goodwill. I also explained that I thought our current view of nature would change to include that which we discovered, and in a sense I am unsure what would ultimately prove to be supernatural. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me as a description.

But by all means, take that, ignore the discussion, and make a pithy aside. I assume that was the reasoning behind reducing all argument to a dichotomy.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
well I'd like to take credit, but that 'default assumption' used to by my position as an atheist, until it was pointed out to me that there is no such thing- we all believe something, and simply labeling what we don't believe doesn't change that. must go, Cheers!

Of course we believe something.
But the term 'atheist' isn't indicative of what we believe. It is indicative of what we DON'T believe. No person is ONLY an atheist. All people can have a whole multitude of labels applied to them, many of which would indicate their beliefs.

I already stated that I was a methodological naturalist. This is a belief I hold. Atheism is indicative of a belief I DON'T hold. Both labels apply to me.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Of course we believe something.
But the term 'atheist' isn't indicative of what we believe. It is indicative of what we DON'T believe. No person is ONLY an atheist. All people can have a whole multitude of labels applied to them, many of which would indicate their beliefs.

I already stated that I was a methodological naturalist. This is a belief I hold. Atheism is indicative of a belief I DON'T hold. Both labels apply to me.
I work rather hard, I do not doubt that I fail on occasion, to not believe anything, at least in a religious sense. My world is much more probabilist than belief based.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls

Universe diameter is thought to be around 93 billion light years. Given that radio waves travel at that speed it would take a radio signal 93 billion years to travel from one side of the universe to the other. And how long has SETI been running? And a very limited SETI at that.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I work rather hard, I do not doubt that I fail on occasion, to not believe anything, at least in a religious sense. My world is much more probabilist than belief based.

In a religious sense, I agree. I meant holistically, and including trivial matters. We all believe stuff.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Fair enough. Makes sense, to some degree.

Cool. Fair enough. I would imagine that anyone who believes in original Creation by a supernatural Creator falls into this bucket, regardless of how said supernatural Creator works in detail.

I'm not asking anyone to prove anything, to be honest. I simply wouldn't change my mind without reason. Why you should care whether I'm going to change my mind would be entirely up to you.

Oooh...right up to here you avoided strawmen.
So my claim in relation to creation of the universe was 'Buggered if I know'. You pushed for a black and white choice, so based on that, I gave a response in goodwill. I also explained that I thought our current view of nature would change to include that which we discovered, and in a sense I am unsure what would ultimately prove to be supernatural. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me as a description.

But by all means, take that, ignore the discussion, and make a pithy aside. I assume that was the reasoning behind reducing all argument to a dichotomy.

'Buggered if I know'

or

'I believe there will be a natural solution'

your words not mine, your two distinct responses to the same simple question. If you believe in a natural solution, that's fine, I have no problem with that belief- you may even be right, and I'd be genuinely interested in what logic, evidence, you base this belief on.

I think the far more interesting debate can be had where we both acknowledge our beliefs, and defend them on their own merits. Theist are generally more than willing to do so as we see here. While many, (not all) atheists, refuse, preferring 'my answer is right by default until you prove yours'

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Universe diameter is thought to be around 93 billion light years. Given that radio waves travel at that speed it would take a radio signal 93 billion years to travel from one side of the universe to the other. And how long has SETI been running? And a very limited SETI at that.

true, though this is a very large, well organized, stable, hospitable galaxy, if no aliens exist here, what does that say about the others?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
'Buggered if I know'

or

'I believe there will be a natural solution'

your words not mine, your two distinct responses to the same simple question. If you believe in a natural solution, that's fine, I have no problem with that belief- you may even be right, and I'd be genuinely interested in what logic, evidence, you base this belief on.

I think the far more interesting debate can be had where we both acknowledge our beliefs, and defend them on their own merits. Theist are generally more than willing to do so as we see here. While many, (not all) atheists, refuse, preferring 'my answer is right by default until you prove yours'

You conflating two different questions.
Atheism is merely a lack of theism. That doesn't mean I don't make positive claims, nor that I don't hold beliefs.
It ONLY means that atheism is not a positive claim, nor belief.

I am an atheist, but that is not ALL I am.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
true, though this is a very large, well organized, stable, hospitable galaxy, if no aliens exist here, what does that say about the others?

There could be all sorts of reasons why we haven't been contacted by "local" intelligent species. Maybe like us they haven't yet developed sufficient technology to detect signals properly ( bearing in mind that an alien signal might not be anything like what we think of as a "signal" ), maybe an alien civilisation is watching us and planning an invasion, maybe they have better things to do than visit a primitive species like ours, maybe they have destroyed themselves like we nearly did in the cold war, maybe it's just too far. And so on.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Actually, this very large, well organised, stable, hospitable galaxy has life on one planet. So perhaps it suggests that other similar galaxies will also have life on one planet.