• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virtual iPod?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I was sitting down with family yesterday talking about headphones, and I brought up that most step van drivers where I work will put some sort of earbuds in while driving to listen to music. I was asked why they didn't just play the radio, and I explained that there were no radios in the step vans.

When asked if I put earbuds in when driving, I said no. I told them that I just play songs in my head while I'm driving the step van and occasional sing along. That brought a couple of curious looks.

Since I can remember, I can listen to a song or piece of music a few times and simply play it in my head...not just memorize lyrics and regurgitate them, but "hear" the actual music in real time. I guess I just sort of assumed that everyone could do this, but when I asked those I was talking to, they said it was weird that I could.

In retrospect, I suppose that's why I've always been good at playing by ear. When I was in a cover band, I could listen to a bass line in a song a couple of times and play it with no sheet music. I suppose it also explains whenever I'm singing a song with someone acapella, they would always start come in too soon singing the next line in the middle of the guitar solo. :p

So I'm curious. Are you able to "hear" music in your head? Or am I just weird? Well I know I'm weird, but does this make me weirder?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes, you most definitely are weird but i doubt its anything to do with playing music in your head.

A friend of mine can do the same thing. He's just kitting out a recording studio (at the bottom of his garden at his wifes insistence)

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I often find myself singing to myself? I occasionally get ear worms where I am singing/humming to myself and can't stop.

But I don't hear the music unless I am 'singing to myself': my vocal muscles act, but I just don't produce the sound.

But then, I also cannot 'see' mental images. I have more of a kinesthetic memory.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I was sitting down with family yesterday talking about headphones, and I brought up that most step van drivers where I work will put some sort of earbuds in while driving to listen to music. I was asked why they didn't just play the radio, and I explained that there were no radios in the step vans.

When asked if I put earbuds in when driving, I said no. I told them that I just play songs in my head while I'm driving the step van and occasional sing along. That brought a couple of curious looks.

Since I can remember, I can listen to a song or piece of music a few times and simply play it in my head...not just memorize lyrics and regurgitate them, but "hear" the actual music in real time. I guess I just sort of assumed that everyone could do this, but when I asked those I was talking to, they said it was weird that I could.

In retrospect, I suppose that's why I've always been good at playing by ear. When I was in a cover band, I could listen to a bass line in a song a couple of times and play it with no sheet music. I suppose it also explains whenever I'm singing a song with someone acapella, they would always start come in too soon singing the next line in the middle of the guitar solo. :p

So I'm curious. Are you able to "hear" music in your head? Or am I just weird? Well I know I'm weird, but does this make me weirder?
Not weird, just talented. I have friends who can do the same (but they still prefer to listen to real music). My musical talent and my memory are just too bad to accurately remember the full song but I constantly have some earworm in my head.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
“Lady Madonna
Lying on the bed
Listen to the Music
Playing in your head.”

All the time. And I have also thought of it in terms of a virtual iPod.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Yes, I hear music in my head. Used to have two or three channels I could switch between, but with the onset of dementia, I seem to only have one channel available anymore.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, I do that. I even compose music in my head (or you can say I am compelled to do so because of my hearing problem and because of my dislike for hearing aids). And the music that I hear is at least 10 years old. That is when I lost my hearing.

What I am worried about what I have heard is that loss of hearing can result in loss of balance.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member

Interesting. I do that. I listen to songs in my head to pass the time. I wasn't aware that others did it too, but I have wondered about it.