• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virginian Wiccan priestess out of appeals

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Link

The U.S. Supreme Court refused to consider an appeal yesterday from the Wiccan priestess who was excluded from giving the opening prayer at meetings of the Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors.

Cynthia Simpson, who calls herself a witch as do others of the Wiccan faith, sued because the county limits its list of clergy invited to pray at meetings to those of Judeo-Christian and Islamic religions.

She won in the U.S. District Court but lost when the county appealed to the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond.

Simpson is now studying for a master's degree in divinity at a Pennsylvania seminary and hopes to be ordained in the Unitarian Universalist Church. She said that church's beliefs are compatible with the Wiccan faith, which is based on unity with the Earth and the idea that humanity and all things are part of the deity.

I don't understand why it's OK for some religions to be represented and not others. :confused:

Mike182

Flaming Queer
its a tough question, i think because people don't understand wiccan it is often excluded. does this also exclude hindus, sikhs, and other religions?

Faint

Cynthia's own statement sums up my opinion on the matter:
"Look, I'm for separation of church and state, so although I don't even think they should have prayers at county meetings, but if they are going to do this then the prayers need to reflect the true religious diversity of the community."

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Apparently so, the article said they limited to the Judeo-Christian and Islamic religions. So that would leave out UUs as well, I suppose.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Maize said:
Link

I don't understand why it's OK for some religions to be represented and not others. :confused:
Maize, that is because this is Virginia, and the case is involving Chesterfield County.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Faint said:
Cynthia's own statement sums up my opinion on the matter:
"Look, I'm for separation of church and state, so although I don't even think they should have prayers at county meetings, but if they are going to do this then the prayers need to reflect the true religious diversity of the community."
I agree with that as well. If they are going to include prayers, then they should include everyone who wants to participate.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Maize said:

Then should be glad I picked Hanover over Chesterfield? ;)
nope lol....from what i can tell aside from the City of Richmond and NoVa (northern Virginia) most of the state, on the whole, is very conservative.