• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Virginia Senate Passes Bill Allowing Guns in Church (Because God’s Not Enough)"

TheresOnlyNow

The Mind Is Everything. U R What U Think
Ah I see, you have no clue what a fact is.

First you need to post the studies where you get your information, I don't know you and I don't trust you, and secondly statistics are not facts.
You know, that is news to any English Dictionary on the planet.

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
You know, that is news to any English Dictionary on the planet.

Ya, I am gonna defer to a dictionary over my college education. :rolleyes:

Statistics, the science, is the process of making deductive probabilistic inferences to a larger population from a sample under a set of assumptions and this process does not created scientific facts (probabilistic inferences under a set of assumptions should be a dead give away as to why); however, don't confuse that with a statistic, which is a value calculated from data. Imagine that, an English word with multiple meanings that is dependent context. . . .

TheresOnlyNow

Ya, I am gonna defer to a dictionary over my college education. :rolleyes:

Statistics, the science, is the process of making deductive probabilistic inferences to a larger population from a sample under a set of assumptions and this process does not created scientific facts (probabilistic inferences under a set of assumptions should be a dead give away as to why); however, don't confuse that with a statistic, which is a value calculated from data. Imagine that, an English word with multiple meanings that is dependent context. . . .
Yeah, I'm going to believe you have a college education and make such a ridiculous assertion as, statistics are not facts.

We had fun with this awhile ago. See if it helps you.
https://www.quora.com/Is-statistics-considered-facts?share=1

youknowme

Yeah, I'm going to believe you have a college education and make such a ridiculous assertion as, statistics are not facts.

We had fun with this awhile ago. See if it helps you.
https://www.quora.com/Is-statistics-considered-facts?share=1

You are confusing yourself by not paying attention to context.

Statistics are observations that are recorded in numerical form. It is essential to their successful handling to accept that statistics are not facts and therefore incontrovertible, but observations about facts and therefore fallible. The reliability of the information that they provide depends not only upon their successful interpretation, but also upon the accuracy with which the facts are observed and the extent to which they truly represent the subject matter of that information. An appreciation of the means by which statistics are collected is thus an essential part of the understanding of statistics and is at least as important as a familiarity with the tools that are used in its interpretation.

The basic laws of chance from which much of statistics theory has been derived are little more than a formalisation of intuitive concepts. Combined with the use of advanced mathematics, they have been used to create a toolbox of concepts and theories that are available for the use of statistics in the solution of problems arising in other disciplines.

https://www.google.com/search?q="statistics+are+not+facts"&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS786US786&oq="sta&aqs=chrome.0.69i59l2j69i57j35i39l2j0.872j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Applied statistics - Knowino

shmogie

Ah I see, you have no clue what a fact is.

First you need to post the studies where you get your information, I don't know you and I don't trust you, and secondly statistics are not facts.
Statistics establish facts. So, before you jumped in, you have no idea what had gone on in the thread, got it. So, you must have a point, make it.

I refer you to the FBI uniform crime reports for the last ten years, for most of the statistic validity, you can find them on line.

youknowme

Here is the deal: Statistics is evidence, that is not always very easy to interpret and understand, to be considered along side other evidence. Alone it cannot establish scientific facts.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
America boasted many forefathers and mothers who secured this nation as a free country due to guns.

Are you advocating permanency of all laws? That both the country and the world is unchanged? In any case...perhaps you'll find this interesting;

Gun Control Is as Old as the Old West | History | Smithsonian

Anti-gun nuts are always against gun until they need to call for help a group of people deputized to use one.

You think anti-gun 'nuts' lose the right to call the police? That's an odd take. Speaking for myself, I'm an advocate for gun control (not banning outright) and don't consider myself a nut.

There are schools where teachers are armed. I guess that's because an unarmed principle isn't enough to stop psychopaths carrying guns and looking to commit mass murder on unarmed innocent kids.

Not legal here.

Amazing isn't it?
A lunatic with a duffel bag full of weapons goes to town in a school, or from the top floor of a Vegas hotel, killing unsuspecting concert goers below and everybody is shocked, crying, praying, and demanding guns be outlawed.
But let a bunch of people petition for and be allowed to be innocent people with the right to armed self defense against such lunacy, and they're jeered.

Are we supposed to believe the little man is having his gun rights screwed over by the big bad left, or something? Do you really need to demonise those you disagree with?

Meh, perhaps it's just the way of things now.

What's your opinion on the Dickey Amendment?

This won't mean anything to non-Christians , but remember, the first murder in history was committed with a.......ROCK!
Guns are not the issue.

Why were guns invented? Why is the rock no longer a common weapon of war?

Savage brutal homicidal lunatics are the issue. If guns didn't exist, we'd read headlines where a car was used as a weapon.
Oh, that's right! That's already made headlines.

Let's outlaw cars!

Or we could license their usage and regulate it actively, recognizing that the primary use of cars is not as a weapon. And still suffer from tragedies.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, in truth. The hyperbole hurts my ears a little though.

TheresOnlyNow

Are you advocating permanency of all laws? That both the country and the world is unchanged? In any case...perhaps you'll find this interesting;

Gun Control Is as Old as the Old West | History | Smithsonian
There is nothing in what you quoted of my remarks that could possibly lead someone to reasonably arrive at what you ask through your personal inference.
Gun control laws aren't about guns. They're about control.
Every nation where there are strict gun control laws, and even in America in the city of Chicago as a prime example, the law abiding are disarmed. While the non-law abiding criminal element remain an armed threat.

Years ago Rosie O'Donnell , a failed comedian who was given a talk show that failed every time she was given a new chance at having a talk show, was staunchly anti-gun. She'd invite celebrities on who she knew were pro-gun so as to debate them and beat them down with her rhetoric.
Then, someone leaked the fact that the personal family body guard for the O'Donnell household had applied in California for a concealed carry permit.
Rosie's rhetoric wasn't saying no one should have guns. Rosie's rhetoric was to say, you, me, the 99% not in her income bracket, should not be allowed to have guns.

What do you do when an armed gunman breaks into your church as you worship on Sunday and you are unarmed? Anything they want you to.
Including die!
What reasonable person, especially that which says they're against guns because they're about saving lives, argues law abiding people should be disarmed in a world where the criminal minded are armed to the teeth.

You think anti-gun 'nuts' lose the right to call the police? That's an odd take. Speaking for myself, I'm an advocate for gun control (not banning outright) and don't consider myself a nut.
OK

Not legal here.
My best wishes to your school age children.

Are we supposed to believe the little man is having his gun rights screwed over by the big bad left, or something? Do you really need to demonise those you disagree with?
I'm not a Democrat in the Legislature. :)

Meh, perhaps it's just the way of things now.
Complacency kills.

What's your opinion on the Dickey Amendment?
I'm usually against gun control laws.
For those who would like to brush up on its language:
Gun violence research: History of the federal funding freeze

Why were guns invented? Why is the rock no longer a common weapon of war?
Good question. Why was the gun invented. I doubt strict gun control proponents know.
Nor do they consider, if guns hadn't been invented , and the point of the Biblical first murder reference, is that people who want to kill people will find a way.

Or we could license their usage and regulate it actively, recognizing that the primary use of cars is not as a weapon. And still suffer from tragedies.
Guess what? Per cars. We do that now. And we still suffer from tragedies. And we read about terrorists who use them as weapon.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, in truth. The hyperbole hurts my ears a little though.
Then you should stop being a proponent of gun control.
Because the crying of parents burying their children because a lunatic punk armed to the teeth shot them down like dogs. An in once recent report, while an armed police officer stayed outside the school and ignored the screams of victims being murdered inside.

Quite frankly, I don't care if anti-gun nuts ears hurt due to pro-2nd amendment citizens fighting for their rights.
You want America to tolerate being disarmed, or limited in access to firearms, when only those who obey the law are effected by those laws,making them sitting duck for armed criminals, tolerate the resistance!

shmogie

No, they don't. Once again I am going to defer to actually having an education in Statistics.
What an obtuse and erroneous response.

Statistic; 37 people in ward 7 of New Orleans failed to put their trash out Tuesday as reflected in a city wide survey conducted on Wednesday. = equals established fact. Now a fact may be challenged, but until challenged and impeached, it stands

youknowme

What an obtuse and erroneous response.

Statistic; 37 people in ward 7 of New Orleans failed to put their trash out Tuesday as reflected in a city wide survey conducted on Wednesday. = equals established fact. Now a fact may be challenged, but until challenged and impeached, it stands

Please quote your sources with a link. I can't assess them if you don't give me the link. I have no idea what "ward 7" is what the "37 people" are (is that the smaple?) or the purpose and methods of the survey.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Here is the deal: Statistics is evidence, that is not always very easy to interpret and understand, to be considered along side other evidence. Alone it cannot establish scientific facts.
Statistics can indeed be facts, eg, fatigue life of a material.
Where people often fail, is claiming that their conclusions based
upon statistics are factual, when they're actually opinions.

shmogie

Please quote your sources with a link. I can't assess them if you don't give me the link. I have no idea what "ward 7" is what the "37 people" are (is that the smaple?) or the purpose and methods of the survey.
LOL, a simple, hypothetical example of logic. Purpose, irrelevant. Method, observation. A ward is a division of the incorporated city. 37 people are 37 people listed as receivers of trash pickup service at an address in the ward.

Happy ?

All superfluous information to the point.

Shad

Veteran Member
Another point I'd like to make. Because Switzerland has been such a well-armed society; Nazi Germany did not dare attack it.

Banks too.

Nazi Germany could have taken Switzerland with few issues during the first half of the war or prior to the invasion of Russia. Other priorities for the military made Switzerland a non-factor. More so if Germany won the war Switzerland was their anyways. Germany just didn't bother and it had little to due with Swiss forces.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Another point I'd like to make. Because Switzerland has been such a well-armed society; Nazi Germany did not dare attack it.
Instead, they attacked France... a country so well-armed that a third of the male population between 20 and 45 was enlisted in the armed forces.