• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Violent Overthrow Possible in US?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's the (Central) American way, isn't it?
As I recall, popular support for the American revolution was under 50%....until after we won.
Tens of thousands of American loyalists fought for the British, although they were an even smaller minority.
I like the idea that the founders reserved our right to violently overthrow an oppressive government. But
that's one right I don't expect to see exercised in my lifetime. Call me lazy, but I'd rather just vote.

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

As I recall, popular support for the American revolution was under 50%....until after we won.
Tens of thousands of American loyalists fought for the British, although they were an even smaller minority.
I like the idea that the founders reserved our right to violently overthrow an oppressive government. But
that's one right I don't expect to see exercised in my lifetime. Call me lazy, but I'd rather just vote.

This was put to test and it failed.

A

angellous_evangellous

Well, the founders never said that revolutionaries were entitled to win.

The idea of revolution didn't fail, just the South's efforts. I'm OK with that.

Yes, it did. The North said that the South had no right to leave the Union, much less fight against its armies.