• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Violent Overthrow Possible in US?

Smoke

Done here.
Watson asked if violence would be in option in 2010, under the current government. "The option is on the table. I don't think that we should remove anything from the table as it relates to our liberties and our freedoms," Broden said, without elaborating. "However, it is not the first option."
Overthrowing democratically elected governments is what Republicans do. It was only a matter of time before they thought of doing it here.

I was a little jealous when I watched video of the riots in France. Why don't we ever do stuff like that? I mean, millions--MILLIONS of people went on strike, and people were turning over cars and lighting them on fire. Just over raising the retirement age by 2 years, after which it will still be lower than most other countries in Europe. If they raised the age here by 5 years, we'd probably just say, "well that sucks". And then we'd go mow the lawn or watch bass fishing on TV.
They did raise our retirement age, from 65 to 67. I'll bet the French would have loved that. But we reacted just like you said.

Smoke

Done here.
Our culture must have been seriously different back then. I mean, what would it take for us (non-extremists) to revolt today? I know it wouldn't be pretty, but I can't deny that I have a secret desire to be involved in something epic like that.

Honestly, rioting seems to be effective. Looking at the history of civil rights movements in this country, I have concluded that the most efficient way to make progress is to have a multi-faceted movement composed of pacifists and radicals. When your radicals riot in the streets, or give the impression they might, the establishment sees the need for action, and turns to your pacifists. In other words, you get Huey Newton and Malcolm X to scare the bejesus out of the white folks, and they run right into the arms of Dr. King.

The Stonewall Riots and White Night did more for the gay rights movement than ten thousand Democratic fundraisers.

Of course it doesn't work if the government is willing to just shoot the whole lot of you, but in that case they create martyrs and lose the sympathy of the whole world.

tomato1236

Ninja Master
Honestly, rioting seems to be effective. Looking at the history of civil rights movements in this country, I have concluded that the most efficient way to make progress is to have a multi-faceted movement composed of pacifists and radicals. When your radicals riot in the streets, or give the impression they might, the establishment sees the need for action, and turns to your pacifists. In other words, you get Huey Newton and Malcolm X to scare the bejesus out of the white folks, and they run right into the arms of Dr. King.

The Stonewall Riots and White Night did more for the gay rights movement than ten thousand Democratic fundraisers.

Of course it doesn't work if the government is willing to just shoot the whole lot of you, but in that case they create martyrs and lose the sympathy of the whole world.

Well shoot, let's do it! We have to figure out something riot about, but that's a minor detail.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
GOP candidate: I can't rule out violence
Texan Stephen Broden says there needs to be a change at the top
By MELANIE MASON Dallas Morning News
Oct. 22, 2010, 9:49AM

WASHINGTON – Republican congressional candidate Stephen Broden stunned his party Thursday, saying he would not rule out violent overthrow of the government if elections did not produce a change in leadership.

In a rambling exchange during a TV interview, Broden, a South Dallas pastor, said a violent uprising "is not the first option," but it is "on the table." That drew a quick denunciation from the head of the Dallas County GOP, who called the remarks "inappropriate."

Broden, a first-time candidate, is challenging veteran incumbent Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson in Dallas' heavily Democratic 30th Congressional District. Johnson's campaign declined to comment on Broden.

In the interview, Brad Watson, political reporter for WFAA-TV (Channel 8), asked Broden about a tea party event last year in Fort Worth in which he described the nation's government as tyrannical.

"We have a constitutional remedy," Broden said then. "And the Framers say if that don't work, revolution."

Watson asked if his definition of revolution included violent overthrow of the government. In a prolonged back-and-forth, Broden at first declined to explicitly address insurrection, saying the first way to deal with a repressive government is to "alter it or abolish it."

"If the government is not producing the results or has become destructive to the ends of our liberties, we have a right to get rid of that government and to get rid of it by any means necessary," Broden said, adding the nation was founded on a violent revolt against Britain's King George III.

Watson asked if violence would be in option in 2010, under the current government. "The option is on the table. I don't think that we should remove anything from the table as it relates to our liberties and our freedoms," Broden said, without elaborating. "However, it is not the first option."

GOP candidate from Texas: I can't rule out violence if there's no change in leadership | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Sore losers are still whining...?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They did raise our retirement age, from 65 to 67. I'll bet the French would have loved that. But we reacted just like you said.
Yet another example of the lazy American superiority to violent cheese eating surrender monkeys!
If we vote for more gov't spending, then it must be paid for somehow. Raising the retirement age seems reasonable.

Although.....the good ole USA still is rife with idiocy.
http://blogs.ktla.com/news_custom_e...r-wearing-bush-sweatshirt-at-obama-rally.html

Last edited:

no-body

Love how the GOP talking point in recent years is if they don't win it's "unamerican" The total irony that by spouting such gibberish it's them that's being unamerican is lost on them.

A

angellous_evangellous

If we just shoot Chuckles the nutless monkey, the Republicans would have no talking points.

They'd have no reason to talk about revolution because they would have forgotten their purpose.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
If we just shoot Chuckles the nutless monkey, the Republicans would have no talking points.

They'd have no reason to talk about revolution because they would have forgotten their purpose.

Who's Chuckles? Almost all of the Republican talking points come from either religious loonies (a large group, not just one monkey), or from St. Reagan (already dead, doesn't stop them from using his talking points).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Love how the GOP talking point in recent years is if they don't win it's "unamerican" The total irony that by spouting such gibberish it's them that's being unamerican is lost on them.
And the other party is different?

Almost all of the Republican talking points come from either religious loonies (a large group, not just one monkey), or from St. Reagan (already dead, doesn't stop them from using his talking points).
Got news for ya, fella....they're all loonies, dim bulbs & crooks. We each just pick our preferred flavor, fully knowing that we're not in the company of saints & rocket scientists.
It seems most here prefer Democratic loonies, while some are Republicans. One is generally no better than the other. I know Libertarians are barking mad too, but it's my kind of lunacy.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
And the other party is different?

Feel free to cite any Democratic candidate who threatens violent revolution to overthrow the government, like a Republican candidate might, if he or she loses. Don't be bashful. If the parties are as identical as you say, you should have a nice list of them handy.

Got news for ya, fella....they're all loonies, dim bulbs & crooks. We each just pick our preferred flavor, fully knowing that we're not in the company of saints & rocket scientists.
It seems most here prefer Democratic loonies, while some are Republicans. One is generally no better than the other. I know Libertarians are barking mad too, but it's my kind of lunacy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Feel free to cite any Democratic candidate who threatens violent revolution to overthrow the government, like a Republican candidate might, if he or she loses. Don't be bashful. If the parties are as identical as you say, you should have a nice list of them handy.
Have you noticed that you always have taunts & insults, but you don't
ever really discuss anything with me? It doesn't inspire involved responses.

A

angellous_evangellous

Who's Chuckles? Almost all of the Republican talking points come from either religious loonies (a large group, not just one monkey), or from St. Reagan (already dead, doesn't stop them from using his talking points).

Chuckles is the nutless monkey that the GOP uses to both distract their constituents from real issues and remind them what their talking points are.

To achieve this goal, Chuckles wears a two sided slate on which can be written one two-word point on each side.

Example:

Side A = Obama Bad

Side B = War Good

or Side A = Abortion Bad
Side B = Palin Good

Chuckles can then dance around pointing at the slate, making funny faces. And somehow the Republicans will get fired up and vote for the monkey.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Chuckles is the nutless monkey that the GOP uses to both distract their constituents from real issues and remind them what their talking points are.
To achieve this goal, Chuckles wears a two sided slate on which can be written one two-word point on each side.
Example:
Side A = Obama Bad
Side B = War Good
or Side A = Abortion Bad
Side B = Palin Good
Chuckles can then dance around pointing at the slate, making funny faces. And somehow the Republicans will get fired up and vote for the monkey.
When you have to explain a humorous reference in detail (with examples), I think the joke falls flatl.