• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Violence in the Bible

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Leviticus 20:15 - If a man lies with a beast, he shall be put to death; and you shall kill the beast.

Leviticus 20:16 - If a woman approaches any beast and lies with it, you shall kill the woman and the beast; they shall be put to death, their blood is upon them.

Deuteronomy 13:5-9
But that prophet or that dreamer of dreams shall be put to death, because he has taught rebellion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to make you leave the way in which the LORD your God commanded you to walk. So you shall purge the evil from the midst of you. 6 "If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son, or your daughter, or the wife of your bosom, or your friend who is as your own soul, entices you secretly, saying, 'Let us go and serve other gods,' which neither you nor your fathers have known, 7 some of the gods of the peoples that are round about you, whether near you or far off from you, from the one end of the earth to the other, 8 you shall not yield to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him, nor shall you conceal him; 9 but you shall kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.

1 Samuel 15:1-3
And Samuel said to Saul, "The LORD sent me to anoint you king over his people Israel; now therefore hearken to the words of the LORD. 2 Thus says the LORD of hosts, 'I will punish what Am'alek did to Israel in opposing them on the way, when they came up out of Egypt. 3 Now go and smite Am'alek, and utterly destroy all that they have; do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ***.'"

Exodus 22:18 - Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

Exodus 21:17 - And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.

Exodus 31:14 - Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

Leviticus 19:20 - And whosoever lieth carnally with a woman, that is a bondmaid, betrothed to an husband, and not at all redeemed, nor freedom given her; she shall be scourged; they shall not be put to death, because she was not free.

Leviticus 20:9 - For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.

Leviticus 20:27 - A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.

Leviticus 24:16 - And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name of the Lord, shall be put to death.

Numbers 15:32-36
And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. 33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation. 34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him. 35 And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp. 36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.

Deuteronomy 13:5 - And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee.

Deuteronomy 21:22 - And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree:

Joshua 1:18 - Whosoever he be that doth rebel against thy commandment, and will not hearken unto thy words in all that thou commandest him, he shall be put to death: only be strong and of a good courage.

------------------

What the Bible says about homosexuals.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NIV): "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters, nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Leviticus 18:22 (KJV): "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind it is abomination."

Leviticus 20:13: "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

Romans 1:24-32:
24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet.
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

So, do those that believe in the Bible believe we should murder witches and homosexuals?

Should I be killed for breaking the sabbath?

As a Christian, what offenses do you feel I should be killed for?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Darkdale said:
So, do those that believe in the Bible believe we should murder witches and homosexuals?

Should I be killed for breaking the sabbath?

hey i gotta drive to shul so i break the sabbath everyweek (then again i'm a non-jew so i have actually been told i have to break the sabbath, this from an orthodox rabbi no less)

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Darkdale said:
None. I don't agree with the death penalty at all. I would note that all of the quotes you have come up with which suggest death as a punishment for sin are from the Old Testament law and most Christians do not believe that this still applies. It sems you would be better off asking those (such as Judaizing Christians of various sorts) that don't believe that the Gospel of Christ supersedes the OT law. For me, and many Christians, the laws in the Old Testament are as much history as is the Magna Carta.

James

JerryL

None. I don't agree with the death penalty at all. I would note that all of the quotes you have come up with which suggest death as a punishment for sin are from the Old Testament law and most Christians do not believe that this still applies. It
So why is there such an upswelling to base American law on the 10 commandments? That's old-testement too.

Doesn't he Bible also say, of all these laws, that they are good and wise? Should we not follow them simply on that basis and kill all of the people listed above?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
JerryL said:
So why is there such an upswelling to base American law on the 10 commandments? That's old-testement too.

Doesn't he Bible also say, of all these laws, that they are good and wise? Should we not follow them simply on that basis and kill all of the people listed above?
well you have to do it through a system of law, through courts and such. you need a court (i believe) of 80 judges to send down a unanimous decision for the death penalty to be done. try getting 80 people to agree on something, especially 80 jewish men.:rolleyes:

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
jewscout said:
well you have to do it through a system of law, through courts and such. you need a court (i believe) of 80 judges to send down a unanimous decision for the death penalty to be done. try getting 80 people to agree on something, especially 80 jewish men.:rolleyes:

Well, that comes from the Talmud does it not?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
JerryL said:

I don't know. I'm not American and, thankfully, we have no such movement here in the UK that I'm aware of. I must say that it seems very strange for a Christian to wish to have civil laws based on those of the Old Testament, but then I'm not any kind of a Biblical literalist or Christian fundamentalist. I believe that all of the Decalogue (10 commandments) is summed up in loving God with all our hearts and loving others as ourselves. I don't believe that I can reconcile the death penalty with this (though some evidently can) and prefer to leave the judging up to God. Men are far too fallible for such a responsibility.

James

gtrsgrls

You've got to look at the background of those verses.If I'm not mistiken those verse were for the Isrealites.God was the leader of the Isrealites and I guess those verses describe the way God would've dealt with them.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
gtrsgrls said:
You've got to look at the background of those verses.If I'm not mistiken those verse were for the Isrealites.God was the leader of the Isrealites and I guess those verses describe the way God would've dealt with them.

So they were Gods law... but not anymore? God treats some groups differently than others? Is it possible that God could have given me the freedom to live by my own law, while Christians have to buy into the New Testiment & Jews the Talmud? If God has different laws for different people, maybe non-Christian Homo-sexuals aren't doing anything wrong, as that is just a rule for Christians.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Darkdale said:
Well, that comes from the Talmud does it not?
yes but the talmud, traditionally speaking anyways, is made of the Oral Torah which tradition says was given to Moses by G-d at Sinai along w/ the Written Torah.

it's almost like the Written Torah is the cliff notes and the Oral Torah gets into the information in greater detail.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
jewscout said:
yes but the talmud, traditionally speaking anyways, is made of the Oral Torah which tradition says was given to Moses by G-d at Sinai along w/ the Written Torah.

it's almost like the Written Torah is the cliff notes and the Oral Torah gets into the information in greater detail.

Well... I thought the Talmud was a history of the religious discussion of Rabbis regarding ethics and the law.

gtrsgrls

Also if you look at those verses,I think(I'm not sure)everyone of those verses says "he shall be put to death."A lot of times going to hell is refered to in that manner.I just thought I'd point that out.;)

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
gtrsgrls said:
Also if you look at those verses,I think(I'm not sure)everyone of those verses says "he shall be put to death."A lot of times going to hell is refered to in that manner.I just thought I'd point that out.;)

I've never heard that before. Can you give a source?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Darkdale said:
Well... I thought the Talmud was a history of the religious discussion of Rabbis regarding ethics and the law.
well there are many out there who would agree with you on that Darkdale

but to really understand the laws of the Torah you need the Talmud, IMPO (but there are those who disagree with that)
for example: "Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk." Ex. 23:16 (JPS)
what the heck does that mean?
no explanation in the written Torah,
but the Oral Torah, in the Talmud, explains that this means not to mix meat and dairy together.

JerryL

Same question. Doesn't the Bible says that other nations would look at these laws and see them as good and wise?

Are these good laws or bad laws?

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
jewscout said:
well there are many out there who would agree with you on that Darkdale

:) ok. I am not an expert on this issue, so I'm not really taking a position... just seeing if the information I has is correct. I just hadn't heard the Talmud refered to as the "oral torrah" before is all.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Darkdale said:
:) ok. I am not an expert on this issue, so I'm not really taking a position... just seeing if the information I has is correct. I just hadn't heard the Talmud refered to as the "oral torrah" before is all.
well plus depending on which movement of Judaism you are looking at they will have different interpretations on what the Talmud (and the Torah for that matter) is.

gtrsgrls

Darkdale said:
I've never heard that before. Can you give a source?
Yes,after I remember where it is.There's a lot of things in the Bible that I know are there I just don't know where they're located.Know what I mean?

gtrsgrls

JerryL said:
Same question. Doesn't the Bible says that other nations would look at these laws and see them as good and wise?

Are these good laws or bad laws?
Actually I don't think it does say that other nations would look at those laws and see them as good.(most people don't)And I guess it depends on the person whether or not those laws are good or bad.Ya know?

JerryL

gtrsgrls said:
Actually I don't think it does say that other nations would look at those laws and see them as good.(most people don't)And I guess it depends on the person whether or not those laws are good or bad.Ya know?
Perhpas you shoudl read the book before you follow it:
Observe them carefully, for this will show your wisdom and understanding to the nations, who will hear about all these decrees and say, "Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people." - Deut 4:6

Admittedly, I am drawing a conclusion that someone calling something "wise and understanding", consider it "good".