• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Violence in Music

Saw11_2000

What do you think about violence in music? Shooting people, etc. Does it give children the wrong impression? Should it be censored?

There's about to be a WHAT...girl fight!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Violence on TV has been shown to have an effect on children. I know of no studies that suggest violence in music has a similar negative effect, but I think it's plausible that it does.

Fluffy

A fool
Well... I don't want to go out and go all zombie-like and the last song I listened to suggested I should devour the living by eating their flesh (Devour by Strapping Young Lad for those of you who are wondering).

I think that repeating a situation, often seen as taboo, does desensitise all people to that situation, not just children. Yet isn't having an irrational bias towards something worse than not doing something because you reason it to be wrong? The first is prejudice and a demonstration of an inferior understanding of morality, something that can lead to misinterpretation.

Ronule

Well, it's hard for me to put an opinion in this. I can see how it can inspire violence in the younger people, and so who are not of normal mental capacity. However, for the average adult it should have no affect. The problem is, the most popular kinds of music (which do happen to be violent) don't make it clear that the violence in the lyrics and videos is fake, and unrealistic. A big difference in music violence is: metal has extreme violence, but it's clear that the violence unrealistic (most of the time), whereas the popular rap is full of realistic violence, but not making it clear that most cannot get away with stuff like that. Proof of this is my brother. He is 16, and a spoiled white suburban kid, who used to cry when splashed in the face with water. Now he thinks he's top dog in the nighborhood, thinks he's a part of one of those gangs (bloods, Crips, Folks, can't remember which). All because he hears this music that says he can do this stuff and there are no concequences.

I don't think that music should be censored, but they should work harder to keep voilence away from the youth. I'm sick of all these people who listen to violent music and think they are top rate killers.

ch'ang

artist in training
I think that people blame stuff like music, movies and TV because when they hear that their kid committed some crime they think "Oh he never would have done that if he was himself, it must have been that darn rap music!" So they shift the blame and won't take responsibility for it themselves.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
If anyone repeatedly listens to violent, hateful and womanizing music, it will have an effect on them that is viewed by most of society as negative. For those that also listen to the same music of course, it would be no big deal. To the rest of us, it is rather bad.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The one argument I use that no one as of yet has countered. I hope someone can so I can move to another good point showing why violent media has minimal influence.
"Violence in entertainment has always existed. Every since the first plays of ancient Greece, there has been violence. If violent media has a major impact on people, then our society would be much more violent. The entertainment is unarguable more violent, but not everyone is violent. Not everyone who partakes in violent media is violent, not everyone who is violent partakes in violent media. Correlation does not mean causation."
I used that for a college comp class, and it actually changed the way my teacher looked at the issue a bit.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Shakespear espesially had violent plays. The violent parts were one of the most exciting parts in plays during the Elizabethan Era. Yet the nobles and peasants weren't made violent because of Shakespear.