• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Violence Erupts Over Israeli Museum’s Sculpture of a Crucified Ronald McDonald"

Skwim

Veteran Member

"A 2015 sculpture of a crucified Ronald McDonald — called “McJesus” by artist Jani Leinonen — created a stir over the weekend at Israel’s Haifa Museum of Art. On Friday, hundreds of Arab Christians clashed with police over what they claimed was an offensive piece of art that mocked their faith.

McJesusArt.png

The sculpture has actually been in the museum since August, as part of an exhibit featuring the intersection of religion and modern culture. Even the government has lobbied for the museum to take down the supposedly blasphemous sculpture."
source

Do you feel this is offensive?
Why?
Why not?​

If this happened in the USA what would you feel should be done about it?
1. Nothing,
2. Take it down.
3. Other.​

WHY?

Cooky

Veteran Member

Why?
Why not?​

1. Nothing,
2. Take it down.
3. Other.​

WHY?

Yeah, it's blasphemous, but who cares since a non-Christian did it. Not my problem. Even if it was a Christian, not my problem.

Offensive? To God, yes. I am not God though, so not my problem.

What should have been done if in the U S..? Nothing.

PruePhillip

There are some avant garde "artists" in the West who do this
kind of stuff. In Australia we had the infamous "**another word for urination**. Christ"
exhibit - a Christ on the cross, housed in a glass container of
urine.
As an artist myself I take such poses to be controversial, but
not in any stretch of the imagination to be genuine art. And
more to the point, SUCH ARTISTS WOULDN'T DEPICT
MOHAMED like this - they are too cowardly to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dekrikos Augustine

Life Person Thing
Why?
Why not?

Only if the offended party wants it to be.
I would personally take it as a criticism or a joke.
It's fairly hilarious in a gruesome immature sort of way, but also points out how modern faith may as well be called "McFaith".

1. Nothing,
2. Take it down.
3. Other.

Not a thing for multiple reasons, the main one being freedom of expression.

The sculpture has actually been in the museum since August, as part of an exhibit featuring the intersection of religion and modern culture. Even the government has lobbied for the museum to take down the supposedly blasphemous sculpture."
source

Oh, did someone hit where it hurts? Poor babies. :rolleyes:

Cooky

Veteran Member
kind of stuff. In Australia we had the infamous "P.i.s.s. Christ"
urine.

"P.i.s.s. Christ" is just plain disgusting. Someone would really have to hate John 3:16 to do something that gross.

...No skin off my back though. That's Gods kid, not mine -He'll take care of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
SUCH ARTISTS WOULDN'T DEPICT

They can't though if they even tried. All they can do is a racist caricature of a random Arab guy and attach the name "Muhammad" to it and think that they're clever. Been done before, nowhere to really go with it either.

PruePhillip

"P.i.s.s. Christ" is just plain disgusting. Someone would really have to hate John 3:16 to do something that gross.

...No skin off my back though. That's Gods kid, not mine -He'll take care of it.

That's my attitude too. "They haven't hated you, but me" said Jesus.
I am not responsible for another person's behavior.
What is important is the reaction (or lack thereof) of society in
general.
My tag line below on social attitudes sums it up perfectly.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
It's fairly hilarious in a gruesome immature sort of way, but also points out how modern faith may as well be called "McFaith".

Yeah, it'd take it as more of a commentary of capitalism than religion itself, or perhaps a suggestion of the irony coming from commercializing and institutionalizing Christianity, the irony coming from it's original message and meaning.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

"A 2015 sculpture of a crucified Ronald McDonald — called “McJesus” by artist Jani Leinonen — created a stir over the weekend at Israel’s Haifa Museum of Art. On Friday, hundreds of Arab Christians clashed with police over what they claimed was an offensive piece of art that mocked their faith.

McJesusArt.png
source
Why?
Why not?​

1. Nothing,
2. Take it down.
3. Other.​

WHY?

OMG, that's too funny. There are so many layers to this, it's hard to know where to begin! I guess that is why it is considered art. Let it stand, I say. It says something.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Seems like the piece has done it's job of stirring up controversy and discussion well.
Isn't that what art does?

The religious objectors? -- High support for propriety, social norms and sacredness, and a willingness to punish transgressors, are all part of the same neurological syndrome.

PruePhillip

They can't though if they even tried. All they can do is a racist caricature of a random Arab guy and attach the name "Muhammad" to it and think that they're clever. Been done before, nowhere to really go with it either.

The same can be said of Jesus. He is depicted as some Nordic type guy.
In fact he was Jewish, and according to the Old Testament, would not be
particularly appealing to behold.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

McJesusArt.png
source
Why?
Why not?​

1. Nothing,
2. Take it down.
3. Other.​

WHY?

Did they explain the meaning behind this crucifixion? I'm trying to have an open mind but considering the religious position regarding Jesus I'm thinking this was to mock the Christian faith.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Yeah, it's blasphemous, but who cares since a non-Christian did it. Not my problem. Even if it was a Christian, not my problem.

Offensive? To God, yes. I am not God though, so not my problem.

What should have been done if in the U S..? Nothing.

The problem is it stirs feelings of mockery. To you, you may not care but to others it mocks their faith. There is nothing funny about mocking a man who suffered a Roman execution.

lukethethird

unknown member
Did they explain the meaning behind this crucifixion? I'm trying to have an open mind but considering the religious position regarding Jesus I'm thinking this was to mock the Christian faith.
I wouldn't try to read too much into it, it's just sort of there to catch your eye, like out of the ordinary.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
kind of stuff. In Australia we had the infamous "P.i.s.s. Christ"
urine.

Like who does this kind of stuff? I see no art in placing an iconic figure in urine or fecal matter. The symbolism behind it is that the iconic religious figure is resting in human waste displays a kind of disrespect. I wonder how you would feel if someone took a photo of who you loved and used it for "Bukkake" art. Or took your mother's photo of when she was a little girl and urinated on it to display for the world to see and mocked it? But to them they called it art. There is a reason why artists get clapped for doing stunts like this. no regard or respect for beliefs. People think because the government wont arrest you for free speech means you are free from everyone else. I swear artists of this kind get more dumber and dumber. Nothing protects you from getting a bullet in your head.

lukethethird

unknown member
But this is horrible. I could understand if there was a meaning behind the McDonalds chain but if this is something to **** people off this is not a good thing.
We have to look at depictions of a man crucified on a cross all the time, why?, because some people think it means something. Well it gets really old and tiresome if you really want to know, so something comes along with a little twist to an old story, nothing to dramatize over, we don't see it everywhere, and if we did it would get tiresome too.