• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Vigil" on BBC

Laika

Premium Member
Warning: This Thread May Contain Spoilers.

The final episode of BBC's new series "Vigil" aired last night. The plot revolves around a police woman who is brought on to a Vanguard-class submarine (the fictional HMS Vigil) to investigate a murder whilst it is on patrol to provide the UK's nuclear deterrent. The series was created by the "World Productions" company, which was also responsible for "BodyGuard" and "Line of Duty" which have both been popular series on the BBC. (One Guardian commentator gave Vigil the nick name "Line of Boaty" which I rather liked. :D ) Here's the Trailer for those who haven't watch it yet if you want to go on to BBC iPlayer.

Without going in to too much detail or spoiling the numerous plot twists and cliff hangers, it was a good bit of entertainment. I felt occasionally there were some missed opportunities in terms of developing the plot, the characters and their motives, and that perhaps they should have taken longer to develop the series to build it up. The last episode seemed to have got the balance right as a satisfying ending and tying up the lose ends.

But I did enjoy it and was on the edge of my seat though most of the episodes. I confess to being quite traumatised by the cliff-hanger at the ending ending of episode 5. It took me a few hours to feel more "normal" after that. Many tabloids have reported on tweets by audience members saying it will give them nightmares and I totally get it. If you have a fear of drowning or enclosed spaces or both, watch out for that bit. ;)

Anyone else watch the series? Do you want to share your thoughts? :)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Warning: This Thread May Contain Spoilers.

The final episode of BBC's new series "Vigil" aired last night. The plot revolves around a police woman who is brought on to a Vanguard-class submarine (the fictional HMS Vigil) to investigate a murder whilst it is on patrol to provide the UK's nuclear deterrent. The series was created by the "World Productions" company, which was also responsible for "BodyGuard" and "Line of Duty" which have both been popular series on the BBC. (One Guardian commentator gave Vigil the nick name "Line of Boaty" which I rather liked. :D ) Here's the Trailer for those who haven't watch it yet if you want to go on to BBC iPlayer.

Without going in to too much detail or spoiling the numerous plot twists and cliff hangers, it was a good bit of entertainment. I felt occasionally there were some missed opportunities in terms of developing the plot, the characters and their motives, and that perhaps they should have taken longer to develop the series to build it up. The last episode seemed to have got the balance right as a satisfying ending and tying up the lose ends.

But I did enjoy it and was on the edge of my seat though most of the episodes. I confess to being quite traumatised by the cliff-hanger at the ending ending of episode 5. It took me a few hours to feel more "normal" after that. Many tabloids have reported on tweets by audience members saying it will give them nightmares and I totally get it. If you have a fear of drowning or enclosed spaces or both, watch out for that bit. ;)

Anyone else watch the series? Do you want to share your thoughts? :)
Yes I watched it. Thought it was mostly good. The back story of the relationship seemed rather superfluous. The last quarter of an hour tying up loose ends felt a bit flat. Much clenching of teeth through the 6 episodes.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I watched the series too - and I did think there was quite a lot that played on drama rather than being reality though. I think perhaps the most implausible bit, if I got this correct, was the notion that there would be Russian vessels awaiting to destroy the submarine should it surface. It might be embarrassing but even the Russians would not provoke another nation by destroying any of their vessels unless threatened themselves, so perhaps a bit ludicrous. Although such nearly happened in the Cuban Missile Crisis (CMC) during the US naval blockade of 1962, when the Americans dropped practice depth charges in order to bring any Soviet subs to the surface, and where it was only the intervention (overriding vote due to rank) of one Soviet officer on the submarine that prevented the use of nuclear weapons against the American ships. Perhaps this is what is being alluded to here - or the film, The Bedford Incident, where something similar happened. And a U-2 surveillance plane was shot down in the CMC, with the pilot killed, which I had forgotten or didn't know about until much later.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I saw only the movie version here.
The original German one was a mini-series (as I recall).
from you-know-where:

• 1981 unreleased version (209 minutes)
  • 1981 original theatrical cut (149 minutes)
  • 1984 BBC miniseries (300 minutes)
  • 1997 "Director's Cut" (208 minutes)
  • 2004 "The Original Uncut Version" (293 minutes) – miniseries minus episode-opening flashback scenes