• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Views on Those Who Leave the Faith?

As salamu alaykum,

I've posted elsewhere on the boards about wanting to possibly join various other religions, but originally I was raised as a Sunni Muslim. I was raised by a strict, abusive mother who said if I didn't believe and follow her exact way of Islam, I would be thrown in Hell and tortured in the grave. Because of how scary and aggressive she made God sound, I ended up leaving Islam soon after I moved out of her house.

Now that I am on a journey to find my faith, I've discovered the other sects of Islam. I am still very much unfamiliar with Shia Islam, but Quranist Islam is the one that has caught my eye. I'm going to try reading the Qur'an one more time to see if this could be the right path for me. But before that, I have to ask a question.

What do Quranists believe about muslims who leave Islam? I'm sure it's not good, but do Quranists believe that those who leave Islam can never come back? Or that if they come back, they are somehow lesser than other muslims that have not left?

Niblo

Premium Member
As salamu alaykum,

I've posted elsewhere on the boards about wanting to possibly join various other religions, but originally I was raised as a Sunni Muslim. I was raised by a strict, abusive mother who said if I didn't believe and follow her exact way of Islam, I would be thrown in Hell and tortured in the grave. Because of how scary and aggressive she made God sound, I ended up leaving Islam soon after I moved out of her house.

Now that I am on a journey to find my faith, I've discovered the other sects of Islam. I am still very much unfamiliar with Shia Islam, but Quranist Islam is the one that has caught my eye. I'm going to try reading the Qur'an one more time to see if this could be the right path for me. But before that, I have to ask a question.

What do Quranists believe about muslims who leave Islam? I'm sure it's not good, but do Quranists believe that those who leave Islam can never come back? Or that if they come back, they are somehow lesser than other muslims that have not left?

Waʿalaykumu s-salām, sister.

I am not a Quranist; but I can tell you that those who leave Islam can most certainly return; and those who do return are as much Muslims as those who have never left.

The Qur’an mentions, repeatedly, freedom of conscience as one of its fundamental tenets:

‘There is no compulsion in religion: true guidance has become distinct from error, so whoever rejects false gods and believes in Allāh has grasped the firmest hand-hold, one that will never break. Allāh is all hearing and all knowing.’ (Al-Baqara: Verse 256); and again: ‘(Prophet), follow what has been revealed to you of your Lord’s Scripture: there is no changing His words, nor can you find any refuge except with Him. Content yourself with those who pray to their Lord morning and evening, seeking His approval, and do not let your eyes turn away from them out of desire for the attractions of this worldly life: do not yield to those whose hearts We have made heedless of Our Qur’an, those who follow their own low desires, those whose ways are unbridled. Say: “Now the truth has come from your Lord”: let those who wish to believe in it do so, and let those who wish to reject it do so.’ (Al-Kahf: Verse 29).

The Qur’an makes it perfectly clear that the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) was to deliver the message, and nothing more. He was NOT to impose it by force:

‘Allāh bears witness that there is no god but Him, as do the angels and those who have knowledge. He upholds justice. There is no god but Him, the Almighty, the All Wise. True Religion, in Allāh’s eyes, is (devotion to Him alone). Those who were given the Scripture disagreed out of rivalry, only after they had been given knowledge - if anyone denies Allāh’s revelations, Allāh is swift to take account- if they argue with you (Prophet), say: “I have devoted myself to Allāh alone and so have my followers.”

‘Ask those who were given the Scripture, as well as those without one: “Do you too devote yourselves to Him alone?” If they do, they will be guided, but if they turn away, your only duty is to convey the message. Allāh is aware of His servants.’ (Al-‘Imran: Verses 18-20);and again: ‘Obey Allāh, obey the Messenger, and always be on your guard: if you pay no heed, bear in mind that the sole duty of Our Messenger is to deliver the message clearly.’ (Al-Ma’ida: Verse 92).

We are given free choice to accept the message of Islam; to refuse it; or to return to it.

It is a matter of conscience. People are expected to follow their conscience (even if it conflicts with the religious verdict of a respected scholar) until new learning, new understanding, creates honest doubt. When this happens one must: ‘Leave what makes you doubt for what does not make you doubt. Verily, truth brings peace of mind and falsehood sows doubt.’ (Sunan al-Tirmidhī : 2518).

I hope this helps.

If Allah had willed he would have put belief in everyone’s heart, however, He wants to test mankind as he has put the capability to recognize truth in human beings. He intends to test who uses this capacity to recognize truth and who chooses the path of violent rebellion.

Faith by Force?