• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Views I share with a Bishop

Pah

Uber all member
I do not see God as a being, I cannot interpret Jesus as the earthly incarnation of this supernatural deity, nor can I with credibility assume that he possessed sufficient Godlike power to do such miraculous things as stilling the storm, banishing demons, walking on water, or expanding five loaves to provide sufficient bread to feed five thousand men, plus women and children. If I am to make a claim for the divine nature of this Jesus, it must be on some other basis than this. Nature miracles, I am now convinced, say volumes about the power that people attributed to Jesus, but they say nothing about literal occurrences.

I do not believe that this Jesus could or did in any literal way raise the dead, overcome a medically diagnosed paralysis, restore sight person born blind or to one in whom the ability to see had been physiologically destroyed. Nor do I believe he enabled one who was mute and profoundly deaf since birth to hear. Healing stories can be looked at in a number of ways. To view them as supernatural, miraculous events is, in my opinion, the least creditable of those possibilities.

I do not believe that Jesus entered this world by the miracle of a virgin birth or that virgin births occur anywhere except in mythology. I do not believe that a literal star guided literal wise men to bring Jesus gifts or that literal angels sang to hillside shepherds to announce his birth. I do not believe that Jesus was born in Bethlehem or that he fled into Egypt to escape the wrath of King Herod. I regard these as legends that later became historicized as the tradition grew and developed and as people sought to understand the meaning and the power of the Christ-life.

I do not believe that the experience Christians celebrate at Easter was the physical resuscitation of the three-days-dead body of Jesus, nor do I believe that anyone literally talked with Jesus after the resurrection moment, gave him food, touched his resurrected flesh, or walked in any physical manner with his risen body. I find it interesting that all of the narratives that tell of such encounters occur only in the later gospels. I do not believe that Jesus' resurrection was marked in a literal way by an earthquake, an angelic pronouncement, or an empty tomb. I regard these things too as the legendary traditions of a maturing religious system.

I do not believe that Jesus, at the end of his earthly sojourn, returned to God by ascending in any literal sense into a heaven located somewhere above the sky. My knowledge of the size of this universe reduces that concept to nonsense.

I do not believe that this Jesus founded a church or that he established an ecclesiastical hierarchy beginning with the twelve apostles and enduring to this day. I do not believe that he created sacraments as special means of grace or that these means of grace are, or can be, somehow controlled by the church, and thus are to be presided over only by the ordained. All of these things represent to me attempts on the part of human beings to accrue power for themselves and their particular religious institution.

I do not believe that human beings are born in sin and that, unless baptized or somehow saved, they will be forever banished from God's presence. I do not regard the mythical concept of the fall of human life into some negative status as constituting an accurate view of our beginnings or of the origins of evil. To concentrate on the fall of humanity into a state of sinfulness and to suggest that this sinfulness can be overcome only by a divine initiative that will restore human life to a pre-fallen status it never had are to me strange concepts indeed, serving primarily, once again, to build institutional power.

I do not believe that women are any less human or less holy than men, and therefore I cannot imagine being part of a church that would discriminate against women in any manner or even suggest that a woman is unfit for any vocation the church offers generally to its people, from the papacy to the humblest role of service. I regard the church's traditional exclusion of women from positions of leadership to be not a sacred tradition but a manifestation of the sin of patriarchy.

I do not believe that homosexual people are abnormal, mentally sick, or morally depraved. Furthermore, I regard any sacred text that suggests otherwise to be both wrong and ill-informed. My study has led me to the conclusion that sexuality itself, including all sexual orientations, is morally neutral and as such can be lived out either positively or negatively. I regard the spectrum of human sexual experience to be broad indeed. On that spectrum, some percentage of the human population is at all times oriented toward people of their own gender. That is simply the way life is. I cannot imagine being part of a church that discriminates against gay and lesbian people on the basis of their being. Nor do I want to continue to participate in ecclesiastical practices that I regard as based on nothing but prejudiced ignorance.

I do not believe that either skin pigmentation or ethnic background constitutes a matter of superiority or inferiority, and I regard any tradition or social system, including any part of the Christian church that operates on that assumption to be unworthy of continued life. The prejudices of human beings based on race or ethnicity are to me nothing more or less than a manifestation of past tribalism; they are negative biases that human beings developed in their struggle to survive.

I do not believe that all Christian. ethics have been inscribed either on tablets of stone or in the pages of the Christian scriptures and. are therefore set for all time. I am aware that "time makes ancient good uncouth and that prejudice based on negative cultural definitions has, through the centuries, been the basis upon which Christians have oppressed people of color, women, and those whose sexual orientation has not been heterosexual.

I do not believe that the Bible is the "word of God" in any literal sense. I do not regard it as the primary source of divine revelation. I do not believe that God dictated it,or even inspired its production in its entirety. I see the Bible as a human book mixing the profound wisdom of sages through the centuries with the limitations of human perceptions of reality at a particular time in human history. This combination has marked our religious convictions as a mixed witness, combining both slavery and emancipation, inquisitions and theological breakthroughs, freedom and oppression.

Source: A New Christanity for a New World, Bishop (ret.) John Shelby Sprong

Pah

Uber all member
Bryan X said:
So then what the heck DO you believe? :roll:

While Sprong is looking for new meaning (read that "another mythology"), I dismiss mythology entirely - I'm an atheist.

Bryan X

pah said:
Did you get the point that the author is a man of God?

Nothing personal, but are you trying to lure me into a debate?

Look, what you believe in or don't believe in is your own business. I would consider most of what you said to be YOUR opinion.

Pah

Uber all member
Bryan X said:
pah said:
Did you get the point that the author is a man of God?

Nothing personal, but are you trying to lure me into a debate?

Well...yeah! I was thinking we could talk about why a man of God would say those things - what his vision for Christianity is - why is he still a man of God and not an atheist? Anything along those lines.

But what would you rather do here at ReligiousForums?

Look, what you believe in or don't believe in is your own business. I would consider most of what you said to be YOUR opinion.

Thank you for the respect

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It seems Bishop Sprong rejects any belief that goes against reason. Is that so? Or does he still believe that faith in Jesus is the prerequisite to salvation in the hereafter? So, what does he believe in? What role does he see for religion? For the church?

His rejection of any belief that goes against reason is one solution to a problem facing Christianity today – the problem that traditional Christianity doesn’t match up nicely with science and reason. Another solution that’s being tried by increasing numbers of people is to declare science is a conspiracy of atheists and then home-school the kids in order to keep science and reason at bay. I prefer Bishop Sprong’s solution. It seems more intellectually honest.

Runt

Sounds Unitarian Universalist:

Unitarianism:
--The belief that God gave us reason, and God expects us to use it.
--The rejection of the concept of miracles
--The rejection of the Trinity.
--The rejection of Hell.

Universalism:
--The concept of the inherent worth and dignity of every human being
--The rejection of original sin
--The concept of universal salvation
--The avoidance of any particular religious creed.

More UU Views:
I do not believe that women are any less human or less holy than men
I do not believe that homosexual people are abnormal, mentally sick, or morally depraved.
I do not believe that either skin pigmentation or ethnic background constitutes a matter of superiority or inferiority

Who is Spong and what church is he a Bishop in? Excuse for sounding ignorant, but I have never heard of this guy before. I don't think he can be Christian, because he obviously rejects Biblical doctrine, and if he says he is, then he is one in name only.

Pah

Uber all member
LCMS Sprecher said:
Who is Spong and what church is he a Bishop in? Excuse for sounding ignorant, but I have never heard of this guy before. I don't think he can be Christian, because he obviously rejects Biblical doctrine, and if he says he is, then he is one in name only.

Spong (Thanks Maize) is a retired Episcopal Bishop of Newark (I assume New Jersey) where he held that post for twenty-four years. He proposes a Christianity based upon justice, love and the rise of a new humanity - a living faith and church worthy of the Christ in whom we can find God in our time.

Spong has chosen to fight for the reconciliation of the mind and heart of the Church in the contemporary world.

[Spong] offers strengtgh, hope, and theological solutions.

That from the jacket cover.

He seems to be offering a true love of God without the devastation of the myths incorporated in the Biblie and resultant creeds and dogmas He sees a cleaner, purer relationship with God through Christ.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Sooner or later, Christianity is going to have to get in line with science and reason. Spong seems to be headed in that direction. Someone tell him to register here at the religious forum -- I'll welcome him by donating some frubals to him. I think it would be fascinating to have his perspective on things -- the guy has been thinking about religion night and day for decades.

So Spong is not truly a Christian, but a philosopher.

"Sooner or later, Christianity is going to have to get in line with science and reason."- Sunstone

Science cannot disprove Christianity and can neither prove nor disprove that there is a God. Reason is a human institution tainted by sin. We cannot by an means explain God in the realm of reason, because faith is the vehicle through which you believe in God. Logic and reason cannot explain faith. What you are saying is that Christianity must mix itself with the sinful culture of this world. That has already occurred in a few denominations and it is rapidly destroying the church.

Pah

Uber all member
LCMS Sprecher said:
So Spong is not truly a Christian, but a philosopher.

Far be it for me to defend a philospher, but I know that Spong thinks the same of literalists and fundementalists - that the attention to creed and dogma show by these groups is "to suggest that God and one's own understanding of God are the same is to not only stop growing, it is to die to the quest for truth" - Preface to A New Christianity For a New World

Pah

Uber all member
LCMS Sprecher said:
So there needs to be something more than what already exists in Christian dogma? Is that what he is saying?

I think he is saying that the since the Bible is not believable from a rational basis, the dogma is wrong -that new insights to the truths revealed in the Bible will lead to a new Christianity

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There needs to be a new Christianity. The old is too out of line with what we know of our world from science.