• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Viewing the Tower of Babel through a different lens

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
So, do you also think it is only a myth?
I think to deprecate it as "only a myth" is terribly shallow and myopic. On the other hand, to believe that a bunch of folks got up from the lunch break at work only to find themselves suddenly speaking different languages is more than a little silly.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
well, apparently, when they couldn't make sense of each other, they didn't bother to try to figure out the new languages...and when they couldn't, they then moved off to live separately, found their own cities and empires, and.......:mad::(o_O:eek::oops::rolleyes:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Many years ago I came across a Mesoamerican myth that is strikingly similar to the story of the tower of Babel, except they wanted to build a tower to reach the moon (it could have been the sun, but I'm pretty certain it was the moon.) The project got so big that some of the people focused on the project itself, some of the people formed a city to provide support to the project, and some of the people focused on growing crops to feed the people in the city and those working on the project. After some time, the people who did the farming could not understand the people who worked on the project. By this time, the people working on the project did not understand agriculture and the agricultural people did not understand the project. The lack of communication and understanding caused the support structure to start to break down, and gradually the project itself started to fail, and the people working on the project fell to earth in different places. These people, having forgotten about agriculture, had to figure out how to survive on their own, and each group that fell to earth developed different ways of doing things. Quetzelcoatl/Kukulan was one who remembered agriculture as well as some technology, and traveled around to help the scattered people develop ways to survive. (This explains how the different languages and different cultures came to be.)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
If you take the middle eastern story and the mesoamerican story both into consideration in the same mythological context, then you can also add the story of Icarus into the mix which focuses on the element of hubris, as mentioned in the OP article.

wellwisher

I found the following article interesting:

For one thing, it further highlights the value of reading (or rereading) Torah informed by Ancient Near East Mythology.

The world currently has 7100 languages. The expansion of language is not new. Human language is subjective, in the sense there is no natural cause and affect between the sounds and symbols; letter and words, of any language and nature. I have never heard a cat make the sound cat, so where did that connection come from? Human imagination and subjectivity made it appear. Once we coin it, we need to agree this is how it will be. This is not exactly objective. Writers often coined new words all the time often to fit into the ambiance of their works.

I can see how the idea of building the Tower of Babel to the gods, caused people to lose touch with objective reality. This daring and ambition project to invade the realm of the gods, would begin to impact language, as each person starts to redefine the future of unknown things, into their own bias. Each may say," this is what I will do when we reach the heavens"; count chicks before they hatch.

As an example, Conservatives were offer censored on social media based on the term; haters or deniers. Haters and deniers are nebulous terms that really mean not with the Liberal agenda. But to their rank and file it can still mean hate and denial, and not just a word tool way to justify censorship. Each social group starts with their own secret handshake, which become harder for outsiders to keep up with.

We think with language, but human written and spoken language, as a foundation of thought, is not naturally objective. Any sound can be used to mean anything; Micheal Jackson was "bad", which was "good". This adds confusion to those who always used the sound bad to mean bad. There is now misunderstanding due to the subjectivity of language as though the world has changed.

I can see how a subjective foundation for thinking, could lead logic to reach subjective conclusions, that if felt as true will adjust the subjective foundation, via new and improved subjective power words for magical prestige; fable of Rumpelstiltskin.

There is an objective language, such as the language of sight. The colors we see are due to natural photons of various wavelengths. We see colors, shapes and shades, all based on the natural connection between light wavelength, eyes and neural processing. This is different from spoken and written language where sounds and symbols are arbitrary. If cat was meow that would be closer.

In the case of the tower of Babel, they stopped using this natural language connection; sight. In other words, anyone could see that they are not even close to the clouds after a few months of building. Instead they all got more in their heads; arrogance, and through the imagination and lines of bull from new language, they deceived themselves and each other, using fancy words to pretend, their goal was realistic. After a while, they were all in their own worlds of subjective sounds and noises, unable to agree.

Like in the fable of the emperors new clothes, the mob ignores their natural sense of sight; natural language, and accepts the subjectivity of a smooth talker with subjective language. They lose touch with reality until a little child speaks the objective truth. In the case of Babel, each wise person felt fully dressed in their own bedazzled words, but were all naked and had to leave each other over embarrassment. The gods sent a curse and they fooled themselves.

Hamilton

I found the following article interesting:

For one thing, it further highlights the value of reading (or rereading) Torah informed by Ancient Near East Mythology.
The Babylonians built temples since at least the Sumerians. They were structures on top of which religious leaders (kings) sought to reach their gods, just as mosques and churches are structures in which people seek to reach their gods, feel a bit of heaven, bring a little heaven to earth.
Also, Mesopotamia was a land of multiple languages.
So I can imagine the Tower of Babel story being a condemnation of non-judaeo mankind as a whole.