• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Video Of Judges & Lawyer Arguing Qualified Immunity

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For those interested in how qualified immunity works....
In this interesting video we hear the legal arguments
made by both the plaintiff, & the defendants (2 cops &
Scottsdale AZ), & the 3 judges who elucidate the law &
consider the evidence.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Do you know why in our courtrooms there is the sign "the law is equal for all" and in the US it is written "in God we trust"?

96589_leggenonugualepertutti.jpg

because in the US public servants consider themselves GOD, hence qualified immunity.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you know why in our courtrooms there is the sign "the law is equal for all" and in the US it is written "in God we trust"?

because in the US public servants consider themselves GOD, while the commoners are nothing. They are considered manure. ;)
And GOD is above the law, hence qualified immunity.
"In God We Trust" is a vestige of Christianities
former greater ubiquity, rather than announcing
that judges are gods.

Watchmen

Premium Member

because in the US public servants consider themselves GOD, while the commoners are nothing. They are considered manure. ;)
And GOD is above the law, hence qualified immunity.
The more you post the more it becomes evident you know actually very little about the US.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I watched a video about an American judge normalizing a legal notion like "qualified immunity".
I didn't make stuff up. ;)
Thanks for proving my point. “Qualified immunity” is a legal term of art in the US and it would be incredibly normal for a judge to discuss it. Again, it appears you don’t know much about the US.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For those interested in how qualified immunity works....
In this interesting video we hear the legal arguments
made by both the plaintiff, & the defendants (2 cops &
Scottsdale AZ), & the 3 judges who elucidate the law &
consider the evidence.

So, after all that, the City of Scottsdale agreed to pay the victim $150,000 and raise property taxes to cover it.

Well, at least the court ruled against qualified immunity on this occasion.

There are some cities in Arizona where it's best to stay away from. Scottsdale is one of them. Personally, I try to avoid the entire Phoenix metro area when I can. It's Joe Arpaio country. They like tough cops, so maybe they don't mind eating the cost for this lawsuit. Much of the public still seems to tolerate this sort of thing.

I was also trying to find more information about the actual traffic stop. It seems Dominguez made a right turn, then a u-turn while the cop was following him. He also crossed multiple lanes.

When you really think about it, the common practice of deploying law enforcement officers on a widespread scale just to watch out for traffic violations seems kind of absurd in a way. As if they have nothing better to do than to enforce traffic laws. They go after these minor, low-level violators because they're easy. The cops go on about how "dangerous" these traffic stops are, but it seems far less dangerous than going after gang members or career criminals who are truly dangerous and menaces to society. They just go after random people driving down the street, shake them down, break them down, and then claim that it's all about enforcing the law.

Meanwhile, the real criminals run roughshod all over the rest of society.