• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vets of RF, are you not bored yet?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Hello Vets of RF,

I just want to preface by saying this is not my first religious debate forums I have joined and from personal experience I can say that they are all the same, same talking points, and same argument and disagreements

This post and subsequent question is mainly for the vets of Religious Forums, the ones that have been here for years and have at least 3,000+ posts. I know this might be a bit hypocritical as I only have less than 600 however, please hear (or read) me out. I joined these forums in July of 2019 and was very active when I first started out then, started getting bored (more on that in a bit). While I have not been as active recently I still get on to see and read what’s being discussed.

Anyway, on to my main topic/question “Vets of RF, are you not bored yet?” I ask this question to all vets, Atheist and Theists (mainly Christian, Jews and Muslims) that are here because almost every topic, question and debate between these groups almost always come down to the exact few talking/arguing points. A few off the top of my head are morality, God, life (evolution), science and purpose. Even when someone posts something that initially sounds like its new or creative it ultimately only comes down to a very narrow scope that can be retraced back to what I just mentioned.

Even though I am not an Atheist nor Theist, I can pretty much answer with very precise accuracy what on their behalf when asked any question. “why are you an atheist” “Why are you a theist” “why is your god true” “Can you prove there is no god” “Can you prove god” “can science prove/disprove god” “where do you get your morals from” or anything along those line. I am not saying this in an effort to seem smart or like I know it all rather, I have read enough on RF to understand where they all stand, there starting point/foundation for an argument and pretty much understand how they’ve reach their conclusions.

So, with that said, Atheist and Theists, are you not bored yet of simply making the same case over and over just in different ways? And if you are not, do you think you ever will?

Of course it's gotten boring... Thats why we talk politics. :)

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
He doesn't post anymore, but was known as "wellnamed" and has quite the sense of humor. After we got married 5 years ago he changed his username to "lovemuffin".
#tinypotato.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Hello Vets of RF,

I just want to preface by saying this is not my first religious debate forums I have joined and from personal experience I can say that they are all the same, same talking points, and same argument and disagreements

This post and subsequent question is mainly for the vets of Religious Forums, the ones that have been here for years and have at least 3,000+ posts. I know this might be a bit hypocritical as I only have less than 600 however, please hear (or read) me out. I joined these forums in July of 2019 and was very active when I first started out then, started getting bored (more on that in a bit). While I have not been as active recently I still get on to see and read what’s being discussed.

Anyway, on to my main topic/question “Vets of RF, are you not bored yet?” I ask this question to all vets, Atheist and Theists (mainly Christian, Jews and Muslims) that are here because almost every topic, question and debate between these groups almost always come down to the exact few talking/arguing points. A few off the top of my head are morality, God, life (evolution), science and purpose. Even when someone posts something that initially sounds like its new or creative it ultimately only comes down to a very narrow scope that can be retraced back to what I just mentioned.

Even though I am not an Atheist nor Theist, I can pretty much answer with very precise accuracy what on their behalf when asked any question. “why are you an atheist” “Why are you a theist” “why is your god true” “Can you prove there is no god” “Can you prove god” “can science prove/disprove god” “where do you get your morals from” or anything along those line. I am not saying this in an effort to seem smart or like I know it all rather, I have read enough on RF to understand where they all stand, there starting point/foundation for an argument and pretty much understand how they’ve reach their conclusions.

So, with that said, Atheist and Theists, are you not bored yet of simply making the same case over and over just in different ways? And if you are not, do you think you ever will?

No. There are always new things I can learn. I've learnt lots about scripture and doctrine, plus science I never knew before, chiefly physics and biochemistry. And there are always more people I can teach. (After a while I leave alone the ones that prove unteachable, except when they spread falsehoods that need to be exposed;).)

It is not so much the subject of the threads that is is new each time but what comes out, often accidentally, in the course of the discussions.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I get bored from time to time, but the innate requirement in me to be ever vigilant against those who slander or try to push anticompetitive thought processes gives me the drive to keep on posting.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I signed up to about two dozen message boards (philosophy, music, politics etc) in my late teens and for some reason this was the only one I found worth visiting over and over again. Yes, the same issues do arise repeatedly but it's easy enough to just sidestep them. I do get bored sometimes and when that happens I take a break and come back later. New and interesting posters just keep appearing and though some of the really fascinating characters have vanished over the years (who remembers Doppleganger?) lots have stuck around and I'd read just about anything they have to say about any subject.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I normally don't get involved in the Theist/Atheist stuff, since I don't find the Theist/Atheist dichotomy very useful. My practices are non-worshipping practices.

There is always something to learn here. Spiritual growth is tough--some people need just a little support here and there to help them through the rough spots--including me. It gives me great joy to see someone make progress spiritually--and I can never get bored with that.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
It's true that there are some patterns in some of the debates here. But I've not grown bored trying to figure out how people think about these big topics, once you get past the common talking points.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I signed up to about two dozen message boards (philosophy, music, politics etc) in my late teens and for some reason this was the only one I found worth visiting over and over again. Yes, the same issues do arise repeatedly but it's easy enough to just sidestep them. I do get bored sometimes and when that happens I take a break and come back later. New and interesting posters just keep appearing and though some of the really fascinating characters have vanished over the years (who remembers Doppleganger?) lots have stuck around and I'd read just about anything they have to say about any subject.
I have actually lost count the number of message boards I was a member of.
This is the only one I am still active on.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Hello Vets of RF,

“There's no excuse to be bored. Sad, yes. Angry, yes. Depressed, yes. Crazy, yes. But there's no excuse for boredom, ever.” ― Viggo Mortensen

I am however bored with aspects of RF, or maybe not so much bored as annoyance, that being the politics. But I read a lot of threads on RF that I do not make any comment in. I also read more threads outside of my religious views and I find many of those fascinating. But them I am neither Atheist or Theists,

However the topics you listed

“why are you an atheist” “Why are you a theist” “why is your god true” “Can you prove there is no god” “Can you prove god” “can science prove/disprove god” “where do you get your morals from”

There will be very little debate, IMO, and very few changes of attitude. People have their religious views, much like their political views, and the very rarely change them for multiple reasons. So many such threads will eventually degrade into argument and I tend to avoid them. And I do find that I spend much time on RF in joke threads and I do get bored of those too from time to time, but then it may be more frustration than boredom. That is when I take a break, some breaks being longer than others.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
“There's no excuse to be bored. Sad, yes. Angry, yes. Depressed, yes. Crazy, yes. But there's no excuse for boredom, ever.” ― Viggo Mortensen

I am however bored with aspects of RF, or maybe not so much bored as annoyance, that being the politics. But I read a lot of threads on RF that I do not make any comment in. I also read more threads outside of my religious views and I find many of those fascinating. But them I am neither Atheist or Theists,

However the topics you listed

There will be very little debate, IMO, and very few changes of attitude. People have their religious views, much like their political views, and the very rarely change them for multiple reasons. So many such threads will eventually degrade into argument and I tend to avoid them. And I do find that I spend much time on RF in joke threads and I do get bored of those too from time to time, but then it may be more frustration than boredom. That is when I take a break, some breaks being longer than others.
Some posters try to bore me.
So I simply avoid or end discussion with them.

BTW, I have seen some posters change their views.
And not merely adding bells to their packs when hiking
(to avoid bear attacks).

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Some posters try to bore me.
So I simply avoid or end discussion with them.

BTW, I have seen some posters change their views.
And not merely adding bells to their packs when hiking
(to avoid bear attacks).

Same here

And I too have seen posters change their views, but it is rare. However I have noticed a lot more wearing bells.....no idea why though