• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very Strong Evidence Against the Existence of the Supernatural

Rational Agnostic

I would like to make a post regarding the existence of supernatural deities. When discussing the existence of God with theists, particularly Abrahamic monotheists, the point is often raised that it is not possible for me to "disprove" the existence of the God of the Bible or Qu'ran, etc. While this is true, it is still very easy to illustrate why belief in such entities is absurd due to the extreme unlikelihood of their existence. Let's use a simple illustration with Santa Claus. I would wager that most of us on this forum are in agreement that Santa Claus does not exist. But what is our evidence for the nonexistance of Santa Claus?

For me, the answer is simple, but let's take a moment to provide some reasons that the existence of Santa Claus is highly improbable, essentially to the point of certainty: He violates the laws of physics. It is physically impossible for reindeer to fly, and it is also physically impossible for a single human being to visit every household in the world on a single night. Additionally, it is physically impossible for a single bag on a small sleigh to hold all of the presents (presumably millions, if not billions) that Santa will be providing to children around the world. At best, even a very large bag could hold only a few dozen small presents, yet those who affirm the existence of Santa Claus insist that a single bag could hold millions upon millions of wrapped presents. Finally, an obese man (or any adult human being) cannot descend a chimney. At best, he could get his lower calf down the chimney before being forced to retreat. Yet those who affirm the existence of Santa believe that Santa, in all of his extreme obesity, is able to descend a chimney that is likely only a foot or so in diameter.

There are many other reasons that the existence of Santa Claus is extremely improbable, but, I think it is safe to state that I have provided enough that most reasonable people would concur that the evidence against Santa's existence is overwhelming.,

For the second portion of our illustration, I will be referring to the biblical god, with an emphasis on Jesus Christ in the New Testament. However, the same principles apply to Zeus, Allah, Horus, Krishna, Vishnu, etc., and the deities of any other religions which violate the laws of physics.

To start, we know that it is biologically impossible for a virgin to give birth, yet the New Testament claims that Mary violated this simple law of biology by giving birth without receiving sperm. We know that it is physically impossible for water to be transformed into wine, since the chemical compositions of water and wine are distinct. Yet, the New Testament claims that Jesus was able to perform this transformation, even though it violates the laws of physics and chemistry (and hence is physically impossible). Additionally, we know that it is physically impossible for a man (or any other organism larger than a small insect) to walk on the surface of water, yet the New Testament again claims that men were able to violate the laws of physics and walk on water. Additionally, we know that a man cannot die, and be buried, and then physically come back to life days later. Yet believers in the biblical god hold to this as well, even though it is common knowledge that such an action is physically impossible, and that in any other context, a claim such as this would be dismissed without second thought. These are just a few examples. In short, any deity that is alleged to perform miracles cannot exist in the same way that Santa Claus cannot exist, because "miracles" by definition are violations of the laws of physics, and hence, are physically impossible.

By the way, for those of you who swear that paranormal/supernatural events can take place, the James Randi foundation has a million dollar reward for you if you can demonstrate the existence of such a phenomenon. So far, no one has been able to claim this reward. It is doubtful that you will become the first.

Last edited by a moderator:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I In short, any deity that is alleged to perform miracles cannot exist in the same way that Santa Claus cannot exist, because "miracles" by definition are violations of the laws of physics, and hence, are physically impossible.
Problem is we don't know all the physics of the universe yet. Did you know science can only detect about 5% of the matter in the universe (the other 95% being undetectable (dark matter)). You might want to hold up on publishing your 'very strong evidence' until you understand more than a sliver of the universe.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
@Hubert Farnsworth
First off on Santa. I very much believe Santa Claus exists and can prove it because kids all over the world gets gifts. How I explain it to my kids and now to you. Santa is a spirit that inspires people. Santa is not a man in a red suit that flies around the world but a spirit that inspires others. This spirit makes people want to dress in Red Suits, give gifts to children and write stories and sing songs. It is a happy spirit that inspires people that share the believe in Santa to do things for others especially kids. If nobody had the spirit of Santa none of this would happen. Does anybody celebrate the pumpkin king (from charlie brown or Nightmare before christmas)? Does anybody celebrate Jack Frost. Santa has a spirit of his own and will exist long after the religion that supports him is gone.

First off not all christian religions believe in the virgin birth and second virgin birth does not mean sperm was not involved only that it was not injected through the vagina. Water to wine, all of guests where already drunk, they fill vases that have been used for wine for probably months. They had some of the old wine there. The only person that tasted the wine was the man responsible if there was no more wine. He said it was the best wine he ever tasted placebo effect works very well. Several magicians today walk on water all the time, perhaps he did it the same way. Jesus never claimed he walked on water those that observed did. People come back to life from supposedly being dead all the time. It is far fewer today than in Jesus's time manly because our technology is better but it still happens google it. Stop picking on Santa.

shawn001

Problem is we don't know all the physics of the universe yet. Did you know science can only detect about 5% of the matter in the universe (the other 95% being undetectable (dark matter)). You might want to hold up on publishing your 'very strong evidence' until you understand more than a sliver of the universe.

We don't have one single example of anything supernatural or outside of nature in 13.7 billion years, just to note. That would be huge in physics.

Also, I know what you mean here, but

"the other 95% being undetectable (dark matter)."

Dark Matter is (25) percent

There is Dark Energy as well (75%)."

Not directly detectable, but indirectly.

Last edited:

shawn001

@Hubert Farnsworth
First off on Santa. I very much believe Santa Claus exists and can prove it because kids all over the world gets gifts. How I explain it to my kids and now to you. Santa is a spirit that inspires people. Santa is not a man in a red suit that flies around the world but a spirit that inspires others. This spirit makes people want to dress in Red Suits, give gifts to children and write stories and sing songs. It is a happy spirit that inspires people that share the believe in Santa to do things for others especially kids. If nobody had the spirit of Santa none of this would happen. Does anybody celebrate the pumpkin king (from charlie brown or Nightmare before christmas)? Does anybody celebrate Jack Frost. Santa has a spirit of his own and will exist long after the religion that supports him is gone.

First off not all christian religions believe in the virgin birth and second virgin birth does not mean sperm was not involved only that it was not injected through the vagina. Water to wine, all of guests where already drunk, they fill vases that have been used for wine for probably months. They had some of the old wine there. The only person that tasted the wine was the man responsible if there was no more wine. He said it was the best wine he ever tasted placebo effect works very well. Several magicians today walk on water all the time, perhaps he did it the same way. Jesus never claimed he walked on water those that observed did. People come back to life from supposedly being dead all the time. It is far fewer today than in Jesus's time manly because our technology is better but it still happens google it. Stop picking on Santa.

A "spirit" created by humans, nothing supernatural based on a story of a real person Sinter Klaas.

"celebrate the pumpkin king (from charlie brown or Nightmare before christmas)? Does anybody celebrate Jack Frost."

Give it a lot more time and probably there will be some crazy people who do.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
We don't have one single example of anything supernatural or outside of nature 13.7 billion years, just to note. That would be huge in physics.

Also, I know what you mean here, but

"the other 95% being undetectable (dark matter)."

Dark Matter is (25) percent

There is Dark Energy as well (75%)."

Not directly detectable, but indirectly.
So, without a knowledge of all the natural, how do we even know what 'supernatural' means?

Secondly, I am a student of the paranormal and believe the 'so-called supernatural/paranormal' exists beyond reasonable doubt. But technically. I see the supernatural as just the natural we don't understand yet.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
A "spirit" created by humans, nothing supernatural based on a story of a real person Sinter Klaas.

"celebrate the pumpkin king (from charlie brown or Nightmare before christmas)? Does anybody celebrate Jack Frost."

Give it a lot more time and probably there will be some crazy people who do.

So you are saying Sinter Klaas was a real person and sometime after his death the spirit of Santa Claus came to be and this is not supernatural.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
@Hubert Farnsworth

Firstly, nice user name.

Secondly, there are a couple of things about this argument you could clarify....

- It is improbable for human females to conceive successfully without having received sperm in the reproductive system. There are some species of lizard which are only female and literally give birth to genetic copies of themselves without needing a male. There is no biological law saying any virgin birth is impossible. It's just not how humans reproduce.

- Perhaps you should say a literal material belief in these forces don't make sense given the laws of physics and chemistry. There are some who don't literally believe in material forms of gods and take the stories as lessons of a sort... like atheistic Hindus who believe in Krishna and Vishnu as archetypes.

Not siding with anyone, just saying that reading this was a bit disorienting at first.

shawn001

So, without a knowledge of all the natural, how do we even know what 'supernatural' means?

Secondly, I am a student of the paranormal and believe the 'so-called supernatural/paranormal' exists beyond reasonable doubt. But technically. I see the supernatural as just the natural we don't understand yet.

Definition of supernatural
  1. 1: of or relating to an order of existence beyond the visible observable universe; especially: of or relating to God or a god, demigod, spirit, or devil

2. 2a : departing from what is usual or normal especially so as to appear to transcend the laws of nature b : attributed to an invisible agent (such as a ghost or spirit)

Definition of SUPERNATURAL

Definition of natural
    1. 1: based on an inherent sense of right and wrong natural justice

2. 2a : being in accordance with or determined by nature natural impulses b : having or constituting a classification based on features existing in nature

3. 3a (1) : begotten as distinguished from adopted their natural son; also : legitimate (2) : being a relation by actual consanguinity as distinguished from adoption natural parentsb : illegitimate a natural child

4. 4: having an essential relation with someone or something : following from the nature of the one in question his guilt is a natural deduction from the evidence

5. 5: implanted or being as if implanted by nature : seemingly inborn a natural talent for art

6. 6: of or relating to nature as an object of study and research natural observations

7. 7: having a specified character by nature a natural athlete a natural leader

8. 8a : occurring in conformity with the ordinary course of nature : not marvelous or supernatural natural causes died a natural death b : formulated by human reason alone rather than revelation natural religion naturalrightsc : having a normal or usual character events followed their natural course

9. 9: possessing or exhibiting the higher qualities (such as kindliness and affection) of human naturea noble … brother … ever most kind and natural — William Shakespeare

10. 10a : growing without human care; also : not cultivated natural prairie unbroken by the plowb : existing in or produced by nature : not artificial natural turf natural curiositiesc : relating to or being natural food

11. 11a : being in a state of nature without spiritual enlightenment : unregenerate natural manb : living in or as if in a state of nature untouched by the influences of civilization and society

12. 12a : having a physical or real existence as contrasted with one that is spiritual, intellectual, or fictitious a corporation is a legal but not a natural personb : of, relating to, or operating in the physical as opposed to the spiritual world naturallaws describe phenomena of the physical universe

13. 13a : closely resembling an original : true to natureb : marked by easy simplicity and freedom from artificiality, affectation, or constraintSuccessful people are genuine and natural rather than synthetic and imitative. — Gilbert Seldesc : having a form or appearance found in nature natural hair

14. 14a : having neither flats nor sharps the natural scale of C majorb : being neither sharp nor flat natural musical notesc : having the pitch modified by the natural sign

15. 15: of an off-white or beige color

Definition of NATURAL

"without a knowledge of all the natural"

When we discover new laws of physics or come up with new theories they are natural, like all the proceeding ones. This is just trying to understand nature and how it works, by science. Not by religion, religion hasn't given us a law of physics.
"Secondly, I am a student of the paranormal and believe the 'so-called supernatural/paranormal' exists beyond reasonable doubt.

Lots of people do.

"But technically. I see the supernatural as just the natural we don't understand yet."

It's the natural we don't fully understand yet. You don't need to use supernatural at all. Supernatural by definition is outside of nature and science.

shawn001

So you are saying Sinter Klaas was a real person and sometime after his death the spirit of Santa Claus came to be and this is not supernatural.

Yes, that is what I am saying. You can add the Eater Bunny to that as well.

Are you using the definition of spirit as "an alcoholic solution of a volatile substance'?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Sigh. Yet another thread by someone who wants to read scripture literally and superficially. To wit when searching for the Biblical meaning of virgin, a page came up with this discussion.

The verses surrounding Isaiah 7:14 tell how Ahaz, the king of Judah, is told of a sign to be given in demonstration that the prophet's promise of God's protection is a true one. The sign is that an almah will give birth to a son who will still be very young when Judah's enemies will be destroyed.[7] Most Christians identify the almah of this prophecy with the Virgin Mary.[8] In Isaiah 7, the almah is already pregnant, and modern Jewish translators have therefore rendered almah here as "young woman".[9] The Septuagint translation of the Hebrew Scriptures, which was completed in the late 2nd century BCE, translated almah into Greek as παρθένος (parthenos), which generally means "virgin".[10][11] For example, the Hebrew word "betulah" for "virgin" is translated as "parthenon" in Exodus 22:16 in the Septuagint.[12][13] But also, the Septuagint also describes Dinah as a parthenos even after she has been raped and hence technically no longer a virgin.[14]

Also, even for the word "virgin", the meaning is not necessarily a woman with an intact hymen but could also refer to a person who is naive, innocent, or inexperienced, especially in a particular context. "a political virgin".

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Yes, that is what I am saying. You can add the Eater Bunny to that as well.

Are you using the definition of spirit as "an alcoholic solution of a volatile substance'?

Nope but my spirit can be known to have an effect on humans in a similar way alcohol does which is why alcohol is called spirits. I believe people see spirits as well as claim they are effected by spirits if they drink large amounts of alcohol. Yet another coincidence?

shawn001

Nope but my spirit can be known to have an effect on humans in a similar way alcohol does which is why alcohol is called spirits. I believe people see spirits as well as claim they are effected by spirits if they drink large amounts of alcohol. Yet another coincidence?

It's called affecting brain chemistry.

"I believe people see spirits as well as claim they are effected by spirits"

Are you talking Ghosts?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
It's called affecting brain chemistry.

"I believe people see spirits as well as claim they are effected by spirits"

Are you talking Ghosts?

It's quite a miracle that the brain can be affected by such a simple solution some would say supernatural.

The Holy Bottom Burp

Yeah right dude, your jocular OP has been refuted a thousand times over....

Keep the tone respectful please. Looks like someone will be going without presents this December...

shawn001

It's quite a miracle that the brain can be affected by such a simple solution some would say supernatural.

Yes, it's a miracle a "simple solution" can cause brain damage and many other health issues. Is there supernatural brain damage or liver disease?

VioletVortex

You are resorting to absurdities to illustrate your point. When someone asserts the existence of spiritual phenomena, they aren't asserting the existence of Santa Claus or the occurrence of a virgin conception.

I do not believe in the supernatural either, but that does not mean I don't believe in the spiritual. I think that spirituality and nature are intertwined. Abrahamism represents the origin of the idea of the "supernatural", as in some kind of spiritual being being in reign of nature, which I do think is absurd.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I would like to make a post regarding the existence of supernatural deities. When discussing the existence of God with theists, particularly Abrahamic monotheists, the point is often raised that it is not possible for me to "disprove" the existence of the God of the Bible or Qu'ran, etc. While this is true, it is still very easy to illustrate why belief in such entities is absurd due to the extreme unlikelihood of their existence. Let's use a simple illustration with Santa Claus. I would wager that most of us on this forum are in agreement that Santa Claus does not exist. But what is our evidence for the nonexistance of Santa Claus? For me, the answer is simple, but let's take a moment to provide some reasons that the existence of Santa Claus is highly improbable, essentially to the point of certainty: He violates the laws of physics. It is physically impossible for reindeer to fly, and it is also physically impossible for a single human being to visit every household in the world on a single night. Additionally, it is physically impossible for a single bag on a small sleigh to hold all of the presents (presumably millions, if not billions) that Santa will be providing to children around the world. At best, even a very large bag could hold only a few dozen small presents, yet those who affirm the existence of Santa Claus insist that a single bag could hold millions upon millions of wrapped presents. Finally, an obese man (or any adult human being) cannot descend a chimney. At best, he could get his lower calf down the chimney before being forced to retreat. Yet those who affirm the existence of Santa believe that Santa, in all of his extreme obesity, is able to descend a chimney that is likely only a foot or so in diameter. There are many other reasons that the existence of Santa Claus is extremely improbable, but, I think it is safe to state that I have provided enough that most reasonable people would concur that the evidence against Santa's existence is overwhelming.,

For the second portion of our illustration, I will be referring to the biblical god, with an emphasis on Jesus Christ in the New Testament. However, the same principles apply to Zeus, Allah, Horus, Krishna, Vishnu, etc., and the deities of any other religions which violate the laws of physics. To start, we know that it is biologically impossible for a virgin to give birth, yet the New Testament claims that Mary violated this simple law of biology by giving birth without receiving sperm. We know that it is physically impossible for water to be transformed into wine, since the chemical compositions of water and wine are distinct. Yet, the New Testament claims that Jesus was able to perform this transformation, even though it violates the laws of physics and chemistry (and hence is physically impossible). Additionally, we know that it is physically impossible for a man (or any other organism larger than a small insect) to walk on the surface of water, yet the New Testament again claims that men were able to violate the laws of physics and walk on water. Additionally, we know that a man cannot die, and be buried, and then physically come back to life days later. Yet believers in the biblical god hold to this as well, even though it is common knowledge that such an action is physically impossible, and that in any other context, a claim such as this would be dismissed without second thought. These are just a few examples. In short, any deity that is alleged to perform miracles cannot exist in the same way that Santa Claus cannot exist, because "miracles" by definition are violations of the laws of physics, and hence, are physically impossible. By the way, for those of you who swear that paranormal/supernatural events can take place, the James Randi foundation has a million dollar reward for you if you can demonstrate the existence of such a phenomenon. So far, no one has been able to claim this reward. It is doubtful that you will become the first.

Good analysis. I might point out that one significant difference regarding Santa Claus is that most of those who propagate the myth of Santa Claus are usually willing to admit that the whole thing is just a made-up story. Some might even argue that the image of Santa Claus is hyped up in order to encourage the rampant consumerism which occurs around Christmas time.

Another difference is that Santa Claus is said to still "exist," that he delivers toys every year at Christmas, and that he currently has a workshop at the North Pole. The miracles attributed to Jesus were presented as a one-time deal that happened long ago, so no one can actually prove or disprove that they actually happened. But we can do (and have done) extensive surveys of the North Pole, and no structure of any kind has been found which would fit the description of "Santa's Workshop."