• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very Cool Weapons

Voxton

·
Well, I'm going to try this again, since I feel I didn't do as good a job of it initially, as I should have. It isn't exactly that I've been explicitly forbidden from critiquing the actions of the moderators, under threat of penalty of getting banned, but maybe I wasn't being all that constructive in confronting it head-on like that. And I like to be constructive. So, here goes:
SoyLeche said:
Voxton said:
Wasn't it Freud who claimed that a fear of firearms was a sign of retarded sexual and social development?
Didn't he say that about pretty much everything?
(I missed this one the first time around). Nope, he didn't. Yours is a is flippant comment, but I won't criticize you for that, since my comment could easily be viewed the same -- unless you knew better.

I'm not knowledgeable of everything, so I hope you -- or anyone else on this board -- will be generous enough to educate me if I'm wrong about factual matters. I made a casual comment about this, but I knew it was based on facts. Thus, I dug up the source:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis.

Now, that's all I initially wanted to say -- that Freud said this about firearms.

Freud didn't say this "about pretty much everything." He might have exaggerated certain things, and he certainly might have been wrong about things. Even this one.

Pah said:
Voxton said:
Wasn't it Freud who claimed that a fear of firearms was a sign of retarded sexual and social development?
I thought it was love of guns that did that
I guess everything I said above, pertains to this post too.

Aside from that, Freud claimed that it was a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. A sign. Not a cause. There's a big difference.

Scott1

I personally don't give a hoot about what Freud thinks about my sexual and emotional maturity... but thanks for bring in up yet again.

My two pennies = the only "cool weapon" is the one never used.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Scott1 said:
I personally don't give a hoot about what Freud thinks about my sexual and emotional maturity... but thanks for bring in up yet again.

My two pennies = the only "cool weapon" is the one never used.
Amen to that - lovelly to hear it from an American's lips, though.:)

Scott1

michel said:
Amen to that - lovelly to hear it from an American's lips, though.:)
These "American lips" thank you.... unfortunately, I've been on the giving and receiving end of some "cool" weapons.... and there is nothing "cool" about the damage and death they inflict.:(

I would love to see more on those "non-lethal" armaments.... I pray those become the weapon of choice for those who must use weapons in the future.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Scott1 said:
These "American lips" thank you.... unfortunately, I've been on the giving and receiving end of some "cool" weapons.... and there is nothing "cool" about the damage and death they inflict.:(

I would love to see more on those "non-lethal" armaments.... I pray those become the weapon of choice for those who must use weapons in the future.
The 'lesser of the two evils' ? -I suppose we have to be happy with looking forward to second best - it still sounds like we admit defeat.........:(

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Freud didn't say this "about pretty much everything." He might have exaggerated certain things, and he certainly might have been wrong about things. Even this one.
Except for the three levels of consiousness and awareness, everything I can recall about Frued's theories have to do with a sexual motive behind everything, including issues about weapons and firearms.

Voxton

·
Scott1 said:
I personally don't give a hoot about what Freud thinks about my sexual and emotional maturity...
I guess I could provide an equally valuable response by saying I don't personally give a hoot about what Jesus, Joe Smith or Muhammad thinks -- but of course, that's not true. I do care. And I can't imagine how any enlightened person would not care, seeing as they have had such an impact on the world -- even if I don't agree with all of their teachings (not to say anything of the attitudes, and behavior of their followers).

I should think the same goes for Freud. Hey, if nothing else -- if you compare their track records and count how many innocent people have been slaughtered in their name, Freud is head and shoulders above those three guys.

Scott1

Oy vey.. I guess my point was missed... the topic of this thread is weapons... how about we leave Freud for another thread... ok?

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
I'm currently listening to Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institute, Peter W. Singer, (Pete is the author of many books including, "Children at War."). He mentioned (on the Al Frankin, air american radio station) that there are over 300,000 child soldiers in the world today. The average being about 12 1/2 years, the younges 2 discovered being a 5 year old boy soldier and a 7 year old terrorist. Currently there ARE children fighting in Iraq and like it or not american and allied soldiers are being forced to fight and kill these children, because a bullet from a 14 year old can kill you just as well as one from a 40 year old.

Probably the best argument for non-lethal weapons I can think of. I couldn't imagine my son picking up an AK-47 and fighting for his life. Man this stuff depresses the hell out of me.