• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very Cool Insight!.....

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I just heard this on a “Bonanza” episode, and thought I’d share it:

The Cartwrights — well, Hoss — rescued a young Ute Indian warrior from an injury, and he encounters life-changing, thought-altering incidents.

Long story short, at the end of the episode, the young Indian declines going to a school, saying he’s learned more, living on the Ponderosa. He learned that “love is better than hate, understanding is stronger than knives, and friendship is wiser than war.” Words to live by, huh?

Idk, it just seemed very profound with all he went through. (The actor was Jose de Vega.) After writing it down, it doesn’t seem that powerful. I guess you’d have to watch the show.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

The Cartwrights — well, Hoss — rescued a young Ute Indian warrior from an injury, and he encounters life-changing, thought-altering incidents.

Long story short, at the end of the episode, the young Indian declines going to a school, saying he’s learned more, living on the Ponderosa. He learned that “love is better than hate, understanding is stronger than knives, and friendship is wiser than war.” Words to live by, huh?

Idk, it just seemed very profound with all he went through. (The actor was Jose de Vega.) After writing it down, it doesn’t seem that powerful. I guess you’d have to watch the show.

Sounds good, but are you going to bring your understanding to a knife fight?

giphy.gif

At least bring a pillow.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

He probably learned not to pick a fight with a big white guy that made two of him...just sayin'.

David T

Premium Member

How come HOS wasn't rescued from injury and it was reversed where he hangs out with the Indians and discovers all the above already existed in the Indian population?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
How come HOS wasn't rescued from injury and it was reversed where he hangs out with the Indians and discovers all the above already existed in the Indian population?
According to that episode, the Utes let their people die alone when they’re too hurt, such as a broken leg.

But I think, in general, you are right. They were more honorable and civilized than the whites. The whites just had superior technology, aiding their subjugation of the American Indian.

We’ve always heard that the Indians scalped their opponents, but I understand they learned that practice from the British, during the French and Indian war? Is that right? Idk.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I apologize for diverting the thread...but 50s/60s TV had to be both kind of blunt and tiptoe through the tulips at the same time, as it were...there were often deep messages, but sometimes they were hidden so that most people wouldn't notice them...or would forget about it 10 minutes into the next show...

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I apologize for diverting the thread...but 50s/60s TV had to be both kind of blunt and tiptoe through the tulips at the same time, as it were...there were often deep messages, but sometimes they were hidden so that most people wouldn't notice them...or would forget about it 10 minutes into the next show...

Plus in the 50's-60's we were still whuppin' the indian's butt.

David T

Premium Member
According to that episode, the Utes let their people die alone when they’re too hurt, such as a broken leg.

But I think, in general, you are right. They were more honorable and civilized than the whites. The whites just had superior technology, aiding their subjugation of the American Indian.

We’ve always heard that the Indians scalped their opponents, but I understand they learned that practice from the British, during the French and Indian war? Is that right? Idk.
It's all complex. If things were reversed and this technology, abstract writing, had developed on this continent, the ships would have been going From the New York area to the new unexplored untamed unsettled wilderness we call Europe. Europeans would have been seen as primitive,sub human, savages, needing conversation to reality. Then in that circumstance, the bonanza show would have Hos the cowboy that genetically we call native American in a cowboy hat, and the indigenous would be played by a white person. It's interesting how writing has effected our perceptions.

I hope that inverted perspective made sense. I am left handed it's easy for me to do that, but difficult at times to explain.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

I was taught in history class the white man started the scalping.
I was also taught (No proof) Lewis and Clark had a black man with them who left just as many kinky-haired Indian Children as Clark left red-headed Indian children behind.
Taught there were lots of Indian wars among themselves as I recall.
Also, was taught the Pueblo Indians had the most peaceful life style, yet when the class was asked which tribe would they choose to belong ( except for two classmates ) the majority said they would be an Aztec. Go figure !

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I dunno how one can go wrong following the wisdom dispensed by Hoss Cartwright.o_O

If Hoss Cartwright was basing his wisdom about behavior from Jesus' teachings, then outside of Jesus' teaching biblical standard, behavior is simply a matter of comparison.