• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Very angry about article in the newspaper!

Venatoris

I was reading the Calgary Herald this morning and I found an article about a seven year old local boy who needs a bone marrow transplant. No member of his family is a proper match nor any of the 300 000 registered bone marrow donors in the Calgary area.

A clinic has been set up in the far S.E. for swab tests to see if anyone is a match to save this boys life. It is a very simple mouth swab to determine compatibility(from what the article says) for bone marrow donation and I would not have a problem with submitting to the test or the potential bone marrow transplant to save this boy but I don't have a car and I wasn't able to get to the specific clinic between the hours of 1 and 6 pm(I live and work in the Northwest and work till 5:15 everyday).

I have 4 walk-in clinics(fully capable of performing this test) within 5 km of my home that I can get to at a moments notice but to save a boys life I have to traverse the city on the bus within 45 minutes of when I get off work(impossible with Calgary transit) to register as a bone marrow donor. I am a universal blood donor(doesn't guarantee a match) and I am willing to endure the painful procedure of donating bone marrow. I don't think I'm the only one who would be willing to waste 20 minutes on the off chance of being able to save a persons life but the way this has been set up, very few people will be able to get to the specific clinic in the few hours specified.

I did register as a bone marrow donor(I am already an organ donor) today after I got home from work but I don't think that it will be enough even if I'm a match for this young boy. I have witnessed the inability of medical clinics in my city to take care of one individual with the foreknowledge of how to fix their problem, and that doesn't take into account the time it will take to match two random people together to save a young boys life.

What do you think? Is my anger warranted? Will my city be able to test my swab and connect it with this young boy(if it is a match) and contact me before it's too late?

croak

Trickster
I think this is the wrong forum for this (considering it's under Religious Topics).

In any case, I think your anger is warranted. And can't they check for bone marrow donors outside of Calgary? The whole situation doesn't make much sense to me.

Aha. Hundreds come forward to help Calgary boy find bone marrow match They checked for donors worldwide, not just in Calgary.

Calgary Herald said:
Without swabs to do the cheek swipes for DNA samples, participants were directed to the school's computers or asked to go online at home to sign up to be a donor.

Swab kits will be mailed to registrants to complete the process.

I think you just misunderstood the article.

Venatoris

Thought I posted this under general discussion, my bad.

Your article is from the next day and it was far more comprehensive than the one I read. I may have misunderstood the original article but I think it has more to do with poor writing on the part of the Calgary herald. They did get a fairly decent turn-out for this young boy which makes me feel a little better and a couple friends of mine went to register themselves too. All in all, I think it was a success but I'm still a little angry about how this story was written up. I still have the article somewhere. I'll post it when I have time to dig through my old newspapers.

Venatoris

Yup, that's the one. Way to google Croak, you're the man(that is, if you are in fact a man :sarcastic).