• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verses in the New Testament against wizardry, so forth?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The premise is to explore any verses against wizardry, talking to spirits, practicing, magic, that sort of thing.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
The premise is to explore any verses against wizardry, talking to spirits, practicing, magic, that sort of thing.

Yet christians perform spells all their lives in order to agic themselves an eternal life.

Yet Christians talk to a spirit every time they pray

Praying for someone who is ill is tantamount to practicing magic, invoking magic spirits to heal them.

So why is it that the bible should talk against what it clearly and concisely promotes?

pearl

The Testament (Deut 18:10-14; cf. also Ex 22:17; Lev 19:31; 20:6, 27). A most famous instance is the evocation of the spirit of Samuel (’ôbôt) on the part of King Saul (1 Sam 28:3-25) to which Scripture attributes both the rejection and the death of Saul: “Saul died because he committed evil inasmuch as he transgressed the divine mandate, failing to observe it, and, what is more, consulted ghosts and not the Lord for guidance. And the Lord killed him and transferred his kingdom to David, the son of Jesse” (1 Chron 10:13-14). In the New Testament the Apostles sustain this prohibition and banish all magical practices (Acts 13:6-12; 16:16-18; 19:11-20).

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The Testament (Deut 18:10-14; cf. also Ex 22:17; Lev 19:31; 20:6, 27). A most famous instance is the evocation of the spirit of Samuel (’ôbôt) on the part of King Saul (1 Sam 28:3-25) to which Scripture attributes both the rejection and the death of Saul: “Saul died because he committed evil inasmuch as he transgressed the divine mandate, failing to observe it, and, what is more, consulted ghosts and not the Lord for guidance. And the Lord killed him and transferred his kingdom to David, the son of Jesse” (1 Chron 10:13-14). In the New Testament the Apostles sustain this prohibition and banish all magical practices (Acts 13:6-12; 16:16-18; 19:11-20).
Do you believe that there is a distinction, between, evil and forbidden wizardry, and, wizardry, broadly speaking, in general? And, what would those distinctions be, at least generally, if so?

'All magical acts', seems very broad, so by default, I could take that as your general definition, though, again, is somewhat broad in meaning.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Yet christians perform spells all their lives in order to agic themselves an eternal life.

Yet Christians talk to a spirit every time they pray
Traditionally, Christians would not consider this the same type of spirit.

Praying for someone who is ill is tantamount to practicing magic, invoking magic spirits to heal them.

So why is it that the bible should talk against what it clearly and concisely promotes?

One might say that this is inferenced, from the texts. So, parsing would seem to be necessary, to avoid contradictions. That is the idea, anyway.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Traditionally, Christians would not consider this the same type of spirit.

One might say that this is inferenced, from the texts. So, parsing would seem to be necessary, to avoid contradictions. That is the idea, anyway.

Of course they wouldn't, hypocrisy is strong in religion

As above

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Of course they wouldn't, hypocrisy is strong in religion

As above
I don't believe that that, is actually hypocrisy. The traditional belief, being an inference, to that delineation.

You may not agree with that delineation, however hypocrisy implies something more direct.

As in, if the texts, did not make that delineation. However the texts do clearly make that delineation, between what 'spirit', might mean, contextually.

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I don't believe that that, is actuslly hypocrisy. The traditional belief, being an inference, to that delineation.

You may not agree with that delineation, however hypocrisy implies something more direct.

As in, if the texts, did not make that delineation. However the texts do clearly make that delineation, between what 'spirit', might mean, contextually.

What is not hypocrisy in saying your spirit is bad and mine is good?

Guess who wrote the texts?

pearl

Do you believe that there is a distinction, between, evil and forbidden wizardry, and, wizardry, broadly speaking, in general? And, what would those distinctions be, at least generally, if so?

The biblical accounts refer a practice called necromancy, contacting the dead in order to predict the future. Personally, I do not believe in any form of wizardry or magic. Not even a fan of Harry Potter.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Actually it does, for one group to invoke spirits etc and admonish another group for doing the same is hypocrisy at its finest.
Delineation of spirits itself, isn't hypocrisy.

So, what there is, is parsing and determining, the variables, here.

The subject specifically, is also contextual, as when we note the 'Bible', it tends to contextuality.

That is why it also is in same faith debate context.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Delineation of spirits itself, isn't hypocrisy.

So, what there is, is parsing and determining, the variables, here.

The subject specifically, is also contextual, as when we note the 'Bible', it tends to contextuality.

That is why it also is in same faith debate context.

Of course not, i have never said otherwise so please do not muddying the discussion.

I was replying to your OP showing that the christian faith shows hypocrisy to dis other faiths for doing exactly the same as they do.

However if you do not want to discuss this aspect of christinity then please let me know and i will withdraw

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Of course not, i have never said otherwise so please do not muddying the discussion.

I was replying to your OP showing that the christian faith shows hypocrisy to dis other faiths for doing exactly the same as they do.

However if you do not want to discuss this aspect of christinity then please let me know and i will withdraw
No actually, that's fine. However delineation of spirit, isn't hypocrisy. As a Syncretist, this not only is done, it's a necessity, by default. Even if the belief syncretic belief system isn't changed via any personal methodology, the concept, and knowledge of, is there.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
No actually, that's fine. However delineation of spirit, isn't hypocrisy. As a Syncretist, this not only is done, it's a necessity, by default. Even if the belief syncretic belief system isn't changed via any personal methodology, the concept, and knowledge of, is there.

Like i said, the spirit is irrelevant to my argument. The hypocrisy comes from denying others the same freedoms of communicating with their beliefs