• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Veitnamese Buddhism

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I visited a vietnamese temple once and inside the sanctuary, a large gold Buddha sat among flowers and incense. Smaller immenations of Buddha rounded the room.

I assume this lineage is theravada. It would seem that the practioners worship (not in the abrahamic sense of surrendering onceself) the Buddha. While in Zen, the Buddha is us when we refer to Him. In Nichiren its the same.

Question: If this is theravada, does this sect and like ones have a reference to the Buddha asking Him for blessings as my Buddhist friend (through family) taught me? Or is it only particular to specific sects but theravada as a whole does not see Buddha outzide themseves or see Him as one to recieve blessings and protection?

Thanks

xkatz

(While I am not a Buddhist, I'll butt in here)

Vietnam is actually primarily Mahayana, and from my understanding the two predominate schools are Pure Land and Zen. As you probably know with Pure Land, they revere the Amitabha/Amida Buddha.

Last edited:

von bek

As xkats said, the predominant form of Buddhism in Vietnam is Mahayana, introduced from China. There are some really nice statues of the bodhisattva Guanyin in Vietnam.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This temple wasnt Zen or pureland. I couldnt speak to the monK. He didnt speak english. Id have to ask my friend.

(While I am not a Buddhist, I'll butt in here)

Vietnam is actually primarily Mahayana, and from my understanding the two predominate schools are Pure Land and Zen. As you probably know with Pure Land, they revere the Amitabha/Amida Buddha.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I once had a discussion on this matter with a western Buddhist monk who spend three years in Vietnam, and he said that most Vietnamese Buddhists wouldn't even hardly recognize what most Buddhist practitioners do and believe here in the west. In the east it tends to be much more of a religion with most, whereas here in the west it's much more a philosophical approach.

Since this is Theravada DIR, I'll post no more.

von bek

Theravada Buddhists also revere and bow before statues of the Buddha, too. As far as asking for blessings, many lay followers will ask monks for blessings. Do some ask the Buddha directly? I'm sure there are, even though technically in Theravada, Gotama Buddha is in parinibbana and thus beyond our ability to "contact". Luckily, the Buddha provided us with the dhamma and the sangha.

von bek

I once had a discussion on this matter with a western Buddhist monk who spend three years in Vietnam, and he said that most Vietnamese Buddhists wouldn't even hardly recognize what most Buddhist practitioners do and believe here in the west. In the east it tends to be much more of a religion with most, whereas here in the west it's much more a philosophical approach.

Since this is Theravada DIR, I'll post no more.

Buddhism is still in the process of assimilating itself into Western societies. It took centuries before Buddhism really took root in China. I would imagine it will take a bit before it really takes root here in the U.S. as well. Key to the process is the establishment of more monasteries with native Americans and Europeans actually being ordained as monks and nuns. The monastic structure is essential for the establishment of an authentic Buddhist culture.

von bek

This temple wasnt Zen or pureland.

What makes you sure about this? I'm not saying you are wrong; but, both traditions are big in Vietnam. (And will usually be practiced side by side.) The Tianti school (Japanese: Tendai) is also influential in Vietnam, meaning that the Lotus Sutra is an important text, too.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Its pure land. very different than the japanese pureland temple i went to. The one I visited, it looked like a christian church with the buddha in the front.

Poi t. Youre right

What makes you sure about this? I'm not saying you are wrong; but, both traditions are big in Vietnam. (And will usually be practiced side by side.) The Tianti school (Japanese: Tendai) is also influential in Vietnam, meaning that the Lotus Sutra is an important text, too.

von bek

Its pure land. very different than the japanese pureland temple i went to. The one I visited, it looked like a christian church with the buddha in the front.

Poi t. Youre right

Glad you were able to figure it out. Amitabha Buddha is praised throughout the earth. :)

Vishvavajra

My dedicated Theravada brothers and sisters can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the attitude of every Buddhist school on this matter is pretty much the same. At least, my Sri Lankan friends seemed to have the same setup when I visited their apartment. We pay reverence to Buddha images, make offerings of incense, water, flowers, fruits, etc., bow and do prostrations before them, and other things that one might rightly call worship. But the intent behind it is different from the kind of worship that most Christians do before images of Jesus. And we know that ultimately Buddha images are mirrors of ourselves. They are for focusing the mind, providing encouragement, and an opportunity to demonstrate gratitude. They are objects of worship, but they are also tools of practice.

I think the dichotomy between devotional practice and a more philosophical approach is something Western practitioners project, coming from a mostly Christian background. In traditional Buddhism these are not really different. I think a lot of people try to strip out the devotional aspect, under the mistaken impression that it's some kind of corruption of the "pure" philosophical practice, but that's because they never really bothered to understand it. And really, looking at inspiring images and bowing makes you feel better.

von bek

I think the dichotomy between devotional practice and a more philosophical approach is something Western practitioners project, coming from a mostly Christian background. In traditional Buddhism these are not really different. I think a lot of people try to strip out the devotional aspect, under the mistaken impression that it's some kind of corruption of the "pure" philosophical practice, but that's because they never really bothered to understand it. And really, looking at inspiring images and bowing makes you feel better.

I agree. Simply reducing Buddhism to meditation only results in a distortion of Buddhism, in my opinion. There is no doubt that meditation is essential to our practice. (Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration!) Moral training is just as important too, though. Faith is not a dirty word. As we progress along the Path, faith will be replaced by knowledge. I would say that an arahant does not have faith, but only because she no longer needs it. Faith in rebirth starts you out and sustains you until you directly see, experience, and know that rebirth IS.

It is proper for Buddhists to pay homage to the Buddha. He is the Awakened One, Supreme Teacher of gods and humans. As a Buddhist, it is right and okay for me to place faith in what the Buddha says about things I have not yet directly experienced. What I have been able to see does verify His words. I feel confident in relying upon Him on matters where I currently lack experience.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Oh, Vietnamese Buddhists are Mahayana. We have many Viet here, and greatly valued in the community here in California, I know many Viet and we love them.

Viet Buddhists are among the greatest, there is no question. They offer beautiful brochures to all, Buddha pamphlets and Buddha Teaching flyers and have very nice temples even though not all in English it doesn't matter everyone is welcome.

I am a great admirer of Thích Quảng Đức (1897 – 11 June 1963, born Lâm Văn Túc), the Saint Vietnamese Mahayana Buddhist. In part, becatse I had an emotional connection with him like a vision that I think was him about two years ago when I was driving a car. Long story. But I can assure you, Viet Buddhists are powerful.

Thich_Quang_Duc.png

Osal

Oh, Vietnamese Buddhists are Mahayana. We have many Viet here, and greatly valued in the community here in California, I know many Viet and we love them.

Viet Buddhists are among the greatest, there is no question. They offer beautiful brochures to all, Buddha pamphlets and Buddha Teaching flyers and have very nice temples even though not all in English it doesn't matter everyone is welcome.

I am a great admirer of Thích Quảng Đức (1897 – 11 June 1963, born Lâm Văn Túc), the Saint Vietnamese Mahayana Buddhist. In part, becatse I had an emotional connection with him like a vision that I think was him about two years ago when I was driving a car. Long story. But I can assure you, Viet Buddhists are powerful.

Yeah, Vietnamese are cool. There are 5 or 6 Vietnamese Buddhist temples within 5 miles of my house. Very open folk. I went to the newest one to check their gardens one Sunday, and was invited to lunch with the sangha. Very old school. Not TNH.