• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegetarian spiders were not discovered until the 21st century

Spiderman

Veteran Member
images (79).jpeg

Bagheera kiplingi, which is found in Central America and Mexico, bucks the meat-eating trend by feasting on acacia plants.

The research is published in the journal Current Biology.

The herbivorous spider was filmed on high-definition camera.

Running the gauntlet

The jumping arachnid, which is 5-6mm long, has developed a taste for the tips of the acacia plants - known as Beltian bodies - which are packed full of protein.

The spider's herbivorous diet was first discovered in Costa Rica in 2001 by Eric Olsen from Brandeis University, and was then independently observed again in 2007 by Christopher Meehan, at that time an undergraduate student at Villanova University.
BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | 'Veggie' spider shuns meat diet

As Spider-Man, this came as a surprise to me, because spiders in my experience will not attack a nutritious meal unless it is moving, no matter how hungry it is.

Sometimes they will wrap their meal in a silky cocoon, and save The remains for later, ( or like my birdeater, nicknamed Jeffry Dahmer, for he decorates his log home with severed heads, dismembered torsos, and limbs of cockroaches, wrapped in silk and soil)

But anyhow, I've always seen wild and captive spiders make double sure that a creature is moving before attacking it. they could literally be sitting next to the most nutritious meal in the world and starve to death if it's not moving.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
and starve to death if it's not moving
But they would only do this once;)

Interesting story. So I suppose they are totally harmless to humans. No bodily fluid exchange like your Goliath used to do?

Might there be a link to meat eating and violence? Have you seen a veggy spider in action already (close up I mean; you have one?)

Spiderman

Veteran Member

Interesting story. So I suppose they are totally harmless to humans. No bodily fluid exchange like your Goliath used to do?

Might there be a link to meat eating and violence? Have you seen a veggy spider in action already (close up I mean; you have one?)

They still have fangs and they can still bite with venom, but I think they would choose not to unless a human was really squeezing them or threatening them.

I have held over a hundred spiders in my life, and only once was I bitten without squeezing them. The one exception was when I grabbed a cat spider out of her web and had her cupped in my hand.

being grabbed out of her web and being in somebody's cupped hand is threatening , so she bit. If I would have gently moved her from her web to my arm or hand without cupping my palm around her, guaranteed she would not have bitten.

I never want to squeeze a spider, but sometimes it happens if I pick the spider up and he tries to run off.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

I suppose that one could find a link between any eating and violence. Just because the eaten is a plant does not make it the taking of a life.

Violence would impart qualities to the spider that are not known to exist in spiders. They are the result of selection pressures that have favored their adaptations to a particular source of food.

Selection is not a moral process.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I
Do you know a lot about caring for spider pets? Can you milk them for poison, make them do things, know what to feed them, how to give them medicine etc?
I can milk them for poison but have no need to. I can tell how to tame them, when they are stressed, when they are sick, how to super glue an injury so they don't bleed to death, how to tame the most aggressive spider to the point where I can put it in my mouth without it biting.

I can give them medicine.

I can tell their body language and what it communicates. If they stand up with arms in the air, they are about to lunge, if they are spinning more web than usual their brain is either producing more dopamine or they are hungry.

If their legs curl under their belly they could be dehydrated, injured, or playing dead.

If they are on their back dont touch them or put them on their feet. You will likely kill them. They are molting.

If they walk like a drunk person, they have probably been handled too much. If they move backwards it could mean they are about to jump. If their abdomen raises they are likely responding to affection.

When they walk fast it is never a good sign.

If they dance they are horny.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I

I can milk them for poison but have no need to. I can tell how to tame them, when they are stressed, when they are sick, how to super glue an injury so they don't bleed to death, how to tame the most aggressive spider to the point where I can put it in my mouth without it biting.

I can give them medicine.

I can tell their body language and what it communicates. If they stand up with arms in the air, they are about to lunge, if they are spinning more web than usual their brain is either producing more dopamine or they are hungry.

If their legs curl under their belly they could be dehydrated, injured, or playing dead.

If they are on their back dont touch them or put them on their feet. You will likely kill them. They are molting.

If they walk like a drunk person, they have probably been handled too much. If they move backwards it could mean they are about to jump. If their abdomen raises they are likely responding to affection.

When they walk fast it is never a good sign.

If they dance they are horny.
I went looking for information about the neurotransmitters that arthropods used. There were various different ones, but I thought you'd be interested to know that one of them was called Octopamine. Its function in a spider was found to function similarly in spiders to the way that Norepinephrine functioned in humans.

Octopamine, then, is a hormone and a neurotransmitter in spiders that is in least abundance when they are at rest. It prepares them for rapid action. If they are jumping for example the amount of this neurotransmitter will quickly increase.

Maybe this accounts for the 'Drunken' behavior you mention? If they are over stimulated maybe their neurotransmitters get out of balance for a while?

Octopamine (neurotransmitter) - Wikipedia

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I went looking for information about the neurotransmitters that arthropods used. There were various different ones, but I thought you'd be interested to know that one of them was called Octopamine. Its function in a spider was found to function similarly in spiders to the way that Norepinephrine functioned in humans.

Octopamine, then, is a hormone and a neurotransmitter in spiders that is in least abundance when they are at rest. It prepares them for rapid action. If they are jumping for example the amount of this neurotransmitter will quickly increase.

Maybe this accounts for the 'Drunken' behavior you mention? If they are over stimulated maybe their neurotransmitters get out of balance for a while?

Octopamine (neurotransmitter) - Wikipedia
Very interesting. I'd say norepinephrine gets the spider to move really fast and then too much of it causes the drunken staggering. I'll show you how fast one of my spiders moves via youtube. It really hauls a$$