• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegans have 43% more bone fractures

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I mean...people drink milk because of calcium .
If it were useless...doctors would not advise it.;):)

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is framed like ye old study any vegan would turn to after seeing this and 'oh yeah? Well meat eaters have higher chance of cancer, altzheimers, atherosclerosis and a number of other ailments.'
Is it really because of dietary changes only or does it also account for vegans having a higher rate of physical activity, including outdoor sports like hiking? How about vegans being higher percent female, thus more prone to metabolic bone disease? In fact the difference seems to only really be in post menopausal women with low bmi who stopped exercising post menopause. Were they on hormone replacement to counteract the effects?

Would recommending hormone treatment and continued exercise as well as macro nutrient adjustments with age be a better recommendation than just 'don't be vegan?'
Questions the study doesn't answer.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Does the report actually claim that
"Vegans have 43% more bone fractures", as per the thread title?

I've found the part that says

"a 43% higher risk of fractures"

which is of course not the same thing.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I take it to mean the overriding issue is not whether you have a plant-based or a meat-based diet, but the quality within that choice. (I'm a participant in a longitudinal study called UK Biobank, through this I know that I have good bone density).
then why couldn't they have just said that?:)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Does the report actually claim that
"Vegans have 43% more bone fractures", as per the thread title?

I've found the part that says

"a 43% higher risk of fractures"

which is of course not the same thing.
If you read the article it does appear to be the same thing. Though that does not necessarily mean that diet is the cause. For example I broke three bones in my left foot while going to college. I was not a vegan or vegetarian. Diet had nothing to do with the broken bones. It was due to skateboarding. If a group is more involved with strenuous or risky physical behavior there will be an increased risk of fractures. Vegans may be more into high impact sports than omnivores.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
If you read the article it does appear to be the same thing. Though that does not necessarily mean that diet is the cause. For example I broke three bones in my left foot while going to college. I was not a vegan or vegetarian. Diet had nothing to do with the broken bones. It was due to skateboarding. If a group is more involved with strenuous or risky physical behavior there will be an increased risk of fractures. Vegans may be more into high impact sports than omnivores.
Well... I did read the article.
It seems rich in caveats.

Shaul

Premium Member
Of course vegans probably eat more bananas than non-vegans. And banana peels have been known to cause falling down.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Now that I recall, I did break a bone while I was vegan, but like @Subduction Zone , I was skateboarding. '

Or, really, I was attempting to skateboard, and that was the problem... (I quickly gave it up. Couldn't afford the time off work a broken bone forced me to take.)

Though I ate very few bananas during that period. I ate a lot of wacky cake.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
This is framed like ye old study any vegan would turn to after seeing this and 'oh yeah? Well meat eaters have higher chance of cancer, altzheimers, atherosclerosis and a number of other ailments.'
Is it really because of dietary changes only or does it also account for vegans having a higher rate of physical activity, including outdoor sports like hiking? How about vegans being higher percent female, thus more prone to metabolic bone disease? In fact the difference seems to only really be in post menopausal women with low bmi who stopped exercising post menopause. Were they on hormone replacement to counteract the effects?

Would recommending hormone treatment and continued exercise as well as macro nutrient adjustments with age be a better recommendation than just 'don't be vegan?'
Questions the study doesn't answer.
Humans evolved to be omnivores, which we can tell from our gut and our dentition. What we should be eating is FOOD, yes, mostly plants, plus proteins, mostly fish, but a little other dense protein is okay. Along with moderate dairy (milk, cheeses and eggs and the like). Choose natural foods, rather than processed, choose whole grains, rather refined, and choose oils like EVOO. And don't overeat!

That's a healthy diet. It's also, basically, a "mediterranean" diet.