• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Veganism

If every one in the world was vegan, what do you think the results would be?

• The results would be delightful.

• The results would be somewhat beneficial, but nothing extreme.

• There would be no or little difference.

• The results would be somewhat harmful, but nothing extreme.

• The results would be a catastrophe.

Results are only viewable after voting.

wellwisher

Vegan is an illusion created by modern culture and trade. In a natural environment being vegan would not have allowed the entire earth to be settled, since cold snowy winters eliminate most of the edible plants. Meat is still available during the winter and made it possible to settle the entire earth. Natural selection will favor the omnivores and meat eaters, The vegan illusion is created by trade, where veggies are imported from other parts of the world, during winter, to create the illusion the earth does not have winter.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Vegan is an illusion created by modern culture and trade. In a natural environment being vegan would not have allowed the entire earth to be settled, since cold snowy winters eliminate most of the edible plants. Meat is still available during the winter and made it possible to settle the entire earth. Natural selection will favor the omnivores and meat eaters, The vegan illusion is created by trade, where veggies are imported from other parts of the world, during winter, to create the illusion the earth does not have winter.
That applies only to the colder parts of the earth though that were thinly populated before the Middle Ages. In India eating meat is not the norm and this hasn't been so for thousands of years.

Nous

Premium Member
A drop in the population say under 1 bil. Would do even more.
How do you plan to wipe out 6.5 billion humans? While you're figuring out how to do that, and while you are accomplishing that, you should change to a vegan diet in order to bring less destruction to the planet. Right?

David T

Premium Member
How do you plan to wipe out 6.5 billion humans? While you're figuring out how to do that, and while you are accomplishing that, you should change to a vegan diet in order to bring less destruction to the planet. Right?
i just deal in reality. Rabbits will be rabbits regardless.

Nous

Premium Member
In a natural environment being vegan would not have allowed the entire earth to be settled, since cold snowy winters eliminate most of the edible plants.
Even if that were true (it isn't), it's completely irrelevant today as an excuse for apes such as humans to eat animals and animal products today.

Nous

Premium Member
Then why are posting about unrealities such as the human population "dropping" to less than a billion before the environment is destroyed?
Behavior doesnt follow logic.
I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. The idea that the human population will "drop" 6.5 billion persons before the environment is ruined is not connected to reality.

Nous

Premium Member
I dont know if your aware of the youtubers called the hodge twins? Well, anyways, they are natural bodybuilders, in great shape. They did an experiment doing a vegan diet for a period of time, consistently. Then they went back on there meat diet for period of time.

Then they showed there before and after pictures. The meat diet, there muscle bellies wer clearly bigger.
There is no reason to conclude that "bigger muscles" are produced by animal flesh sources of protein than from plant sources of protein.

Nous

Premium Member
I stand by my statement: It would be a significant reduction in methane emissions if humans ate a vegan diet. After all, most of the food that cows and pigs eat goes toward growing and maintaining bones, gristle, organs, etc., that humans do not eat.
I edited my post #15 if you would like to take a look.

Humans also grow and maintain bones, gristle, organs, etc
What is your point in noting that humans grow and maintain bones, gristle and organs?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What is your point in noting that humans grow and maintain bones, gristle and organs?

The point is you made the claim for cows like it was a deciding factor. My point is, its not.

David T

Premium Member
I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. The idea that the human population will "drop" 6.5 billion persons before the environment is ruined is not connected to reality.
Odd apparently your reading comPrehension is extremely poor

There is no reason to conclude that "bigger muscles" are produced by animal flesh sources of protein than from plant sources of protein.

Well.....there is reasons, i gave them to you in the prior post.

Experiments done. And animal proteins have higher aminos.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I mean animal proteins have more aminos in them. Example, more luacine amino
Not according to this: Top 10 Foods Highest in Leucine

Protein is actually the least of any vegetarians or vegan's worries. It's easy to come by. Other stuff is harder. But it's an age-old argument/discussion, and not really worth having. People generally won't change their minds from a discussion like this. Even the so called nutritionists debate it.

Not according to this: Top 10 Foods Highest in Leucine

Protein is actually the least of any vegetarians or vegan's worries. It's easy to come by. Other stuff is harder. But it's an age-old argument/discussion, and not really worth having. People generally won't change their minds from a discussion like this. Even the so called nutritionists debate it.

Most of that list is from meat, fish and dairy. And the vegies that do have it, keep in mind most vegies do not have all the aminos in them, like meat does. For protein synthesis to happen you need all the aminos. And the higher the concentration of each amino, the better the synthesis.

And what about tests that been done? Check out the hodge twins vegetarian diet test. They show before and after pictures.

And i agree we need more stuff other then protein. Muscle needs alot of things to grow. But to maximize the genetic potential, protein is in order.

Nous

Premium Member
The point is you made the claim for cows like it was a deciding factor. My point is, its not.
I didn't make any such claim about any "deciding factor." Moreover, your statement about humans growing and maintaining bodies seems to be entirely irrelevant to any issue under discussion here.

Apparently unlike you and @David T, I can explain why I said what I have said here. In response to your post where you said you were unsure if “the methane emitted by 7 billion plus vegans would be more or less than the methane emitted by cows,” I noted: “It would be a significant reduction in methane emissions if humans ate a vegan diet. After all, most of the food that cows and pigs eat goes toward growing and maintaining bones, gristle, organs, etc., that humans do not eat.”

My comment was premised on propositions such as: the number of creatures whose annual sustenance requires the plants grown on 1000 acres each year will produce more methane than the number of creatures whose annual sustenance requires the plants grown on 200 acres per year. (Agree?) This proposition is roughly analogous to the situation that humans have created with livestock where "80 per cent of agricultural land is used to make livestock feed or for grazing". (https://www.unenvironment.org/news-and-stories/story/tackling-worlds-most-urgent-problem-meat )

But the above proposition is disanalogous in several important ways, which accounts for the second sentence of my comment above. Among the livestock that humans raise and feed are large-bodied ruminants (1) who produce unusually large amounts of methane through inefficient enteric fermentation in multi-chambered stomachs, while (2) humans only eat a small portion of their bodies. It seems to me inarguable that less methane would be produced if humans merely acquired their calories directly from plants, rather than raising and maintaining the bodies of these ruminants for 2-8 years while they produce inordinate quantities of methane, and, in the end, humans only eat a small portion of their bodies. It seems to me that these further propositions surely enter into such facts as that “a quarter-pound Beyond Burger requires 99 per cent less water, 93 per cent less land and generates 90 per cent fewer greenhouse gas emissions, using 46 per cent less energy to produce in the U.S. than its beef equivalent,” and that the “ Impossible Burger, developed by Dr. Patrick Brown, founder of PLoS, requires "approximately 75 per cent less water and 95 per cent less land, generating about 87 per cent lower greenhouse gas emissions than beef burgers."

The underlined portions of the above quotations highlight the additional issue that it is certainly self-deceptive or somewhat diversionary to focus on methane emissions in evaluating even just the climate impacts of a vegan vs. commonplace “meat-eater” diet. In that comparison what is crucial is total GHG emissions in CO2e. We know from several reliable sources that a vegan diet wins that comparison hands-down.

But the non-underlined portions of the above quotations point to the further issues of other environmental impacts in the evaluation of a vegan vs. common “meat-eater” diet, particularly the highly important issue of water usage in food production for 7.5 billion humans. The other environmental impacts of a vegan vs. “meat-eater” diet also include factors such as other types of pollution, zoonotic diseases, and fishing the oceans to the point of collapse. Exactly as I said in my first 3 sentences on this thread:

One cannot logically deny the improvement to environment, including climate, and the massive reduction in suffering of trillions upon trillions of sentient creatures, if humans ate the plant-based diet that apes such as humans are biologically adapted to eat. One cannot logically deny the improvement to the environment, including climate, and the reduction in suffering of many sentient creatures, if the majority of humans were to simply change their diet today to something closer to a vegan diet. Nor can one logically deny the improvement in human health if either of the above conditionals were true.​

Nous

Premium Member
Well.....there is reasons, i gave them to you in the prior post.

Experiments done.
I haven't seen any "experiments" where the authors concluded that "bigger muscles" are produced by animal flesh sources of protein compared to plant sources of protein. Cite those experiments and quote where the authors drew such conclusion.